Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Y2Julio

Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Train Operator and Conductor jobs are easy 95% of the time. TA doesn't pay you and train you for that 95% of the time. TA trains and pays you a good wage for that 5%.

-The day you have a door problem - can you overcome it? Or will you wilt under the pressure and have to take the train out of service?

-The day someone jumps in front of your train and you have to discharge that train, answer questions for police, update RCC on what is going on, and assist coordinating between EMS/fire and RCC until a TSS is able to arrive on scene. For the conductor, this could mean doing all of this also, because what if your Train Operator loses it after the "man under"? You will be expected to step up to the plate until they can get you some help in the form of a TSS.

-The day the railroad goes bad and you get stuck between stations for 20 minutes, keeping the passengers calm until RCC can find a way to get them off the train, then executing that plan safely, properly, and without any unnecessary delay.

-The day someone surfs the train or gets caught in the doors. Will you be able to pull that cord as you are supposed to, or will you freeze up?

Anyone who tells you this is an easy job (Train Operator or Conductor) has never really been through a hard day down here. We don't train and get paid for the 95% of times everything is working OK. We train and get paid for the 5% where the adults get sorted out from among the children.

Very true and if something goes wrong you're the one they hold accountable for whatever happens.

"I would like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

- Joe DiMaggio

thanks Matt, yea it is..only issue I see they might have is that I got a speeding ticket last month which I pleaded not guilty on with a court date set on January 2017..if this is something that might delay my process I might just pay the dam thing off..

Matt,  I might just give this conductor thing a try before I go back to become a T/O...I can go back to a T/O if I wanted to but I really think I cant get thru the 9 months of training..i just hope I get the Division I want which is B

Edited by tprashad0719

@Tprashad, I'm in a similar position.

Sorely tempted to return to T/O school car. Great money and never boring. Really liked and respected my colleagues.

But what I want most is to stay at Transit if I'm fortunate to be hired by them again. I'm much more confident about conductor school car and I like the customer service aspects of that title. I think I would pass T/O school car but it's not certain enough to quit my current job and turn my life upside down again.

I'd be game to try T/O school car and that title on a promotional basis, when I'm not preoccupied with being "out on the street" if I make a mistake.

this is true matt, I look at it this way..T/O you get started top pay and the conductor your starting at 21 per hour, 5 years in the title you would earn 30+ ..by this time I don't think I would want to become a T/O and risk losing seniority or disappointment again ..once I can pay my bills and know I am secured I am good lol

Ammo, right now I will just walk with my court appointment paper and ticket...if they tell me I need to pay the ticket...I will just pay it right there ont he spot with my cell phone or just come back next time with the receipt, 

its funny my cousin took this exam as well and his list number is 73xxx..he never thought he stand a chance till I told him the other night they might actually get to his number.

• Upvote 1

They are going to tell you that u need to pay it at the desk trust I watched 5 people get sent home for not paying tickets and fighting them also but it's your process to deal with I hope it works out

Yea cause if you have tickets your not going to take the medical bro so don't stop your process the August class is almost full I heard

Train Operator and Conductor jobs are easy 95% of the time. TA doesn't pay you and train you for that 95% of the time. TA trains and pays you a good wage for that 5%.

-The day you have a door problem - can you overcome it? Or will you wilt under the pressure and have to take the train out of service?

-The day someone jumps in front of your train and you have to discharge that train, answer questions for police, update RCC on what is going on, and assist coordinating between EMS/fire and RCC until a TSS is able to arrive on scene. For the conductor, this could mean doing all of this also, because what if your Train Operator loses it after the "man under"? You will be expected to step up to the plate until they can get you some help in the form of a TSS.

-The day the railroad goes bad and you get stuck between stations for 20 minutes, keeping the passengers calm until RCC can find a way to get them off the train, then executing that plan safely, properly, and without any unnecessary delay.

-The day someone surfs the train or gets caught in the doors. Will you be able to pull that cord as you are supposed to, or will you freeze up?

Anyone who tells you this is an easy job (Train Operator or Conductor) has never really been through a hard day down here. We don't train and get paid for the 95% of times everything is working OK. We train and get paid for the 5% where the adults get sorted out from among the children.

I have heard of those days. Some people think it's a breeze when it isn't. I have learn that when you first come to a new job people will tell you all kind of stories. Everyone experience is different but, people should be prepared for whatever this job throws at you.

Yea cause if you have tickets your not going to take the medical bro so don't stop your process the August class is almost full I heard

I just checked online to make sure i didn't even have any of those red light camera tickets. I thought the august class was filled. I assume people going in would be for the September class

Ammo, I just took your advice and just paid the dam ticket online, I will print the receipt as proof...thanks bro

Great you would be upset if you got turned back for that ticket. 

only reason I was not considering this job is family reasons, I have a 4 year old daughter and I know working as a T/O or Conductor the hours can change your whole life around..spending less time with your family and sacrificing your social life but as you get older and mature you realize your doing this for your family at the end of the day and in the long run it should benefit you and the family..my days of partying is over honestly..working at my current job I make 22 per hour with a pension (1199) but I cant see myself sitting behind a desk all day it can get to you mentality and physically ..my goal in life is to own my own house ..if I have to sacrifice going into work at mid-nights or early AM then I will just have to adjust to this

the money per hour moves up quickly in the MTA and you have OT..here currently we hardly get the ot and we get 3% raises every  year..for me to see 30 + per hour I would have to work another 10 years or more....I work M-F 8-4 with weekends off so yea it will take a lot of time to adjust LOL

Good stuff trust I had to pay 1300 dollars worth of tickets that my ex wife got on my car I paid by mail them in but I keep all the print out and checks cause there is always that one person who says do you have proof you paid it.

Good stuff trust I had to pay 1300 dollars worth of tickets that my ex wife got on my car I paid by mail them in but I keep all the print out and checks cause there is always that one person who says do you have proof you paid it.

I had the same situation and soon as I went on outstanding certification I paid them off. Now every week I run my plates just to make sure I don't have any unknown tickets.

Hi All,

So im being extremely cautious with the background and previous employment form. I wanted to know how strict they are about the information that needs to be supplied. I have all of the company information except the exact dates of hire/ resigning. The same goes for my previous addresses. With the exception of my current address i dont remember the dates ive lived at some of theses places. I know this info can be obtained from Social Security but what is the turn around time? I have to go into 180 on Wednesday. 

Hi All,

So im being extremely cautious with the background and previous employment form. I wanted to know how strict they are about the information that needs to be supplied. I have all of the company information except the exact dates of hire/ resigning. The same goes for my previous addresses. With the exception of my current address i dont remember the dates ive lived at some of theses places. I know this info can be obtained from Social Security but what is the turn around time? I have to go into 180 on Wednesday.

I would try to put the the best and correct accurate information you have. Edited by tdevon2012

@Tprashad, congrats for getting an appointment. It's moving along. That's the initial drug test/paperwork appointment?

Congrats, dude. Good luck!

- Joe DiMaggio

Hi All,

Make sure you have all of your ducks in a row because they want to know all the dates, supervisors and numbers of every place you ever worked in the past. It's paramount. Believe me. Make sure you get a list of every town and address you lived at as well.

- Joe DiMaggio

I would try to put the the best and correct accurate information you have.

Exactly. To the best of your recollection.

- Joe DiMaggio

only reason I was not considering this job is family reasons, I have a 4 year old daughter and I know working as a T/O or Conductor the hours can change your whole life around..spending less time with your family and sacrificing your social life but as you get older and mature you realize your doing this for your family at the end of the day and in the long run it should benefit you and the family..my days of partying is over honestly..working at my current job I make 22 per hour with a pension (1199) but I cant see myself sitting behind a desk all day it can get to you mentality and physically ..my goal in life is to own my own house ..if I have to sacrifice going into work at mid-nights or early AM then I will just have to adjust to this

the money per hour moves up quickly in the MTA and you have OT..here currently we hardly get the ot and we get 3% raises every year..for me to see 30 + per hour I would have to work another 10 years or more....I work M-F 8-4 with weekends off so yea it will take a lot of time to adjust LOL

You're making the right decision. I just got married and I'm aware of the sacrifices I'm going to have to make. It'll be worth it in the end.

- Joe DiMaggio

I had the same situation and soon as I went on outstanding certification I paid them off. Now every week I run my plates just to make sure I don't have any unknown tickets.

Good stuff!

- Joe DiMaggio

Yikes!!

- Joe DiMaggio

They are going to tell you that u need to pay it at the desk trust I watched 5 people get sent home for not paying tickets and fighting them also but it's your process to deal with I hope it works out

Bro, there was a guy at my medical last Wednesday that ran into the same problem & he paid it on the spot. It was some BS ticket. He showed them the receipt & they let him stick around for the rest of the day.

- Joe DiMaggio

@Tprashad, congrats for getting an appointment. It's moving along. That's the initial drug test/paperwork appointment?

When is your appointment?

- Joe DiMaggio

Good idea, dude.

- Joe DiMaggio

@Tprashad, I'm in a similar position.

Sorely tempted to return to T/O school car. Great money and never boring. Really liked and respected my colleagues.

But what I want most is to stay at Transit if I'm fortunate to be hired by them again. I'm much more confident about conductor school car and I like the customer service aspects of that title. I think I would pass T/O school car but it's not certain enough to quit my current job and turn my life upside down again.

I'd be game to try T/O school car and that title on a promotional basis, when I'm not preoccupied with being "out on the street" if I make a mistake.

You'll be okay.

- Joe DiMaggio

We are all gonna need luck....lots of it.

It's amazing how beautiful life is. Just sitting under a tree watching the world go by.

Edited by lisandrojosh9