Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tdevon2012 what's your list number? Mine is 6000 maybe we will be in the same class. I completed two drug screening just waiting patiently for my medical date.

its 6,68X, I'll probably end up in a September or even a October class. I can only assume. 

I know, I have a pair and they have held up pretty good and, they are comfortable.

Sweet, bro!

"I would like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

- Joe DiMaggio

tdevon2012 what's your list number? Mine is 6000 maybe we will be in the same class. I completed two drug screening just waiting patiently for my medical date.

You're almost there, bro. Give it time. Be patient.

- Joe DiMaggio

I have heard of those days. Some people think it's a breeze when it isn't. I have learn that when you first come to a new job people will tell you all kind of stories. Everyone experience is different but, people should be prepared for whatever this job throws at you.

Exactly. The best thing you can do when you are new here is to be humble and try to keep learning every day. The learning curve is very steep in the beginning, but eventually it slows down, but you will always keep learning because there is always more to learn, things that will make you better at your job. There is always more to learn.

The people who think they know everything after 5 minutes on the job usually end up finding out the hard way that they don't.

Good night guys, need your opinion. The first day of orientation they ask that we wear lace up boot. I went to a couple of major shoes store Footlocker etc, however I could find any boots for my small size 5 1/2 women feet. I work along side Amtrak & NJ conductors and I see a lot of them wearing the ACG boots. One conductor actually sold me a new pair today, that her son did want to wear. It looks somewhat like a sneaker, but it not. Google ACG boots and let me know what you guys think. I don't want to get in no problems on my first day. Appearantly these boots are very popular with train/bus drivers

Just wear boots as close to what they are asking. They won't break over it... within a few day you will be in transit issued boots. you won't step foot on the tracks until then.

during the first weeks when I was in T/O school car, I wore regular black shoes with rubber soles..as erik stated they will issue T/A boots..what I do recommend is go to a uniform store and purchase a couple short sleeve blue light blue mechanic shirts with blue slacks during training because the uniform process at mta is horrible

good stuff Ammo, you will see what I am talking about regarding the uniform process being horrible lol

you guys seem like a good group, i wish you guys best of luck

my brother has been a conductor for 5 years now and took the T/O promotional so i ask questions all the time..he works the #7 train in the IRT A division..he said the job has its days..remember you own the train not the T/O..if the T/O accidently put the train in emergency you have to pull the cord on him...you can get in trouble for a T/O mistake which sucks..other then this and cutting a stuck door the job  can be easy..but you will learn all of  this in school car ofcourse..

during the first weeks when I was in T/O school car, I wore regular black shoes with rubber soles..as erik stated they will issue T/A boots..what I do recommend is go to a uniform store and purchase a couple short sleeve blue light blue mechanic shirts with blue slacks during training because the uniform process at mta is horrible

Thanks for the info

Just wear boots as close to what they are asking. They won't break over it... within a few day you will be in transit issued boots. you won't step foot on the tracks until then.

I ordered a pair off of Amazon this morning. They should be arriving by Monday. According to them. Paid 45 bucks for them.

- Joe DiMaggio

Or some of you should try the Army/Navy stores. They have everything.

- Joe DiMaggio

I ordered a pair off of Amazon this morning. They should be arriving by Monday. According to them. Paid 45 bucks for them.

- Joe DiMaggio

Cool, I've been looking at bookbags too. I read you have to carry your equipment and manuals.

True I just got my shirts and dickies yesterday took them to be pressed this morning and wearing my black timberland field boots.

Sweet, bro. I'm gonna try Macy's. Might cost me an arm and a leg.

- Joe DiMaggio

Cool, I've been looking at bookbags too. I read you have to carry your equipment and manuals.

I might get one, too. I have a bag at home that I use for when I go away or have to sleep at my mother's house.

- Joe DiMaggio

good stuff Ammo, you will see what I am talking about regarding the uniform process being horrible lol

you guys seem like a good group, i wish you guys best of luck

my brother has been a conductor for 5 years now and took the T/O promotional so i ask questions all the time..he works the #7 train in the IRT A division..he said the job has its days..remember you own the train not the T/O..if the T/O accidently put the train in emergency you have to pull the cord on him...you can get in trouble for a T/O mistake which sucks..other then this and cutting a stuck door the job can be easy..but you will learn all of this in school car ofcourse..

Thanks for the info, dude. Sounds good.

- Joe DiMaggio

Exactly. The best thing you can do when you are new here is to be humble and try to keep learning every day. The learning curve is very steep in the beginning, but eventually it slows down, but you will always keep learning because there is always more to learn, things that will make you better at your job. There is always more to learn.

The people who think they know everything after 5 minutes on the job usually end up finding out the hard way that they don't.

Me not being one of those people. Just gonna study my ass off and listen to whatever they tell us.

- Joe DiMaggio

the best bag you can purchase for this position is the red/black huskey 18 inch bag that sells at homedepot..there very picky with the bag you carry because there has been incidents where your crossing the tracks in the yard where people bags are getting cought on moving trains,rails etc..they want you to carry the bag when crossing tracks..70% of transit workers have the 18 inch huskey bag..strong and durable and MTA approve..there like $20 bucks in stock

as for the uniforms don't go crazy because you will get them in the mail after measurements , but they will take forever to come or wrong sizes ..you can go online www.automotiveworkwear.com and buy the redcap shirts and pants ..there cheap ! and will last VERY long

the best bag you can purchase for this position is the red/black huskey 18 inch bag that sells at homedepot..there very picky with the bag you carry because there has been incidents where your crossing the tracks in the yard where people bags are getting cought on moving trains,rails etc..they want you to carry the bag when crossing tracks..70% of transit workers have the 18 inch huskey bag..strong and durable and MTA approve..there like $20 bucks in stock

as for the uniforms don't go crazy because you will get them in the mail after measurements , but they will take forever to come or wrong sizes ..you can go online www.automotiveworkwear.com and buy the redcap shirts and pants ..there cheap ! and will last VERY long

Thank you for the information, bro!

- Joe DiMaggio

there is a lot of equipment and Txt books that you will be carrying EVERYDAY , before class starts you will have your TSS check off everything before class starts, if your missing anything, I mean anything they will send you home and it will go down in schoolcar records ..

depending on your division they give you, a lot of people drive there own cars to the meet up locations or yards, your TSS will tell you take the train ( MTA GIVES YOU A FREE TRAINPASS) so incase you get a flat tire or mechanical issue with your car..thats not there problem and they don't want to hear it...just fyi..

i hope you guys don't mind me typing stuff i remember when i was in school car..i am just looking out for you guys and giving you a heads up..

Am going to use my Nike KD book bag it's pretty big but I was told Home Depot has one called the husky

Yeah. It's 20 bucks.

- Joe DiMaggio

there is a lot of equipment and Txt books that you will be carrying EVERYDAY , before class starts you will have your TSS check off everything before class starts, if your missing anything, I mean anything they will send you home and it will go down in schoolcar records ..

depending on your division they give you, a lot of people drive there own cars to the meet up locations or yards, your TSS will tell you take the train ( MTA GIVES YOU A FREE TRAINPASS) so incase you get a flat tire or mechanical issue with your car..thats not there problem and they don't want to hear it...just fyi..

i hope you guys don't mind me typing stuff i remember when i was in school car..i am just looking out for you guys and giving you a heads up..

Thanks for the heads up, bro.

- Joe DiMaggio

By the way, do you know off hand how many textbooks we're gonna have to carry?

- Joe DiMaggio

Lisa, he took the promotional exam, I guess he was to bored and wanted to be upfront..the beauty of being a conductor and going to TO is that if it doesn't work out for you ..you can go back to your position

you will have a VERY thick conductors manual and average size rule book..i would say 2 books from MTA and ofcourse a notebook for yourself...3 in total..it was a headach to drag these bags everywhere..you will get an escape mask incase there is a fire, smoke, etc..its big as well.

you will also get your mta vest which you must have with you ALL THE TIME, safety glasses,vapor key,door cut out key,FLAGS ( you as a conductor is also known as a flagger) you will require to work the tracks incase they need you for flagging trains

Archived