Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

this is probably why a lot of conductors stay as conductors...I was not going to take this job because I really don't want to go thru the whole process of school car  and disappointment if I don't make it..wrong way of me to think but its hard when you have a family to take care of and currently hold a decent secure job which has no dam future but it pays the bills..i always told myself if I leave my current job I would like to start off 30+ per hour.. I don't have that much time to think because I have to be there Friday smh

is working all various shift worth it?  getting spit on and cuss at? dont even know if your getting the division you want? things I have to think about ..not to knock the job if your young def do it....if I leave my job now I actually cant come back

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

currently the C/O makes 21 per hr and T/O 32 per hour yard pay and when they go on Revenue train ( passengers) they should make around 36 per hour

I know a conductor who just made 4 years and gets paid 30.11 per hour and don't forget night diff

AGAIN GUYS , don't quote me on my words..i am sure I will be corrected

Conductors are C/R not C/O. Conductors start off @ $21 an hr & after 5 yrs of service @ top pay, almost $31 an hr. And of course that number will go up with new contracts. As for Train Operators you start @ $32.50 an hr. And after 231 days on the road after School Car it goes to $34.50 an hr.

Matt, that is 30.11 base pay not even top pay..remember mta always give raises and the pay rate just keep going more up

Yes & it depends on the new union contract.

"I would like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

- Joe DiMaggio

this is probably why a lot of conductors stay as conductors...I was not going to take this job because I really don't want to go thru the whole process of school car and disappointment if I don't make it..wrong way of me to think but its hard when you have a family to take care of and currently hold a decent secure job which has no dam future but it pays the bills..i always told myself if I leave my current job I would like to start off 30+ per hour.. I don't have that much time to think because I have to be there Friday smh

is working all various shift worth it? getting spit on and cuss at? dont even know if your getting the division you want? things I have to think about ..not to knock the job if your young def do it....if I leave my job now I actually cant come back

It's a reason why I'm staying a Conductor.

- Joe DiMaggio

all I know is its more than what I am pulling now.

Exactly. You want to make more. That's the whole idea. We're going to love our jobs.

- Joe DiMaggio

Who told you that? Double pay is only on "paid holidays". You can either take the green or a AVA.

AVA?! What's that?

- Joe DiMaggio

Who told you that? Double pay is only on "paid holidays". You can either take the green or a AVA.

It's what I heard through the grapevine. Double pay is on Sunday's. I'm positive.

- Joe DiMaggio

It's a reason why I'm staying a Conductor.

- Joe DiMaggio

Exactly. You want to make more. That's the whole idea. We're going to love our jobs.

- Joe DiMaggio

AVA?! What's that?

- Joe DiMaggio

It's what I heard through the grapevine. Double pay is on Sunday's. I'm positive.

- Joe DiMaggio

AVA "Additional Vacation Allowance". You can only do this on double paid holidays. For example if you don't want double pay, you can take regular pay & bank the other 8 hrs. So whenever you want to take an extra day with pay, you got it. Working on Sundays you get weekend or night differential which is 10% on top of your regular salary. Never heard of double pay on Sundays.

Night Differential is 6pm-6am

Weekend Differential starts Fri night @ 6pm & ends Mon morning @ 6am.

Keep in mind, MTA strictly goes by military time. I put it in basically english.

Thanks, bro. I'm gonna make a killing just in OT and differential alone.

- Joe DiMaggio

AVA "Additional Vacation Allowance". You can only do this on double paid holidays. For example if you don't want double pay, you can take regular pay & bank the other 8 hrs. So whenever you want to take an extra day with pay, you got it. Working on Sundays you get weekend or night differential which is 10% on top of your regular salary. Never heard of double pay on Sundays.

I could've swore I did. No lie.

- Joe DiMaggio

Believe it or not, good ques. I believe if you are on nights; on a weekend it is still 10% on top of your pay.

More money in my pocket. I'm gonna be making over a $100K a year easily.

- Joe DiMaggio

You will not be making anything close to 100k as a conductor. The money is in train operator

Lisa, it's possible. If you do a shitload of OT and work on the weekends (which we will be doing 90% of the time) then anyone can do it.

- Joe DiMaggio

I would actually prefer to work on late night shifts.

Lisa, it's possible. If you do a shitload of OT and work on the weekends (which we will be doing 90% of the time) then anyone can do it.

- Joe DiMaggio

it is very possible. What about winter storms or hurricanes too. Your going to be stuck at work for long hours.

it is very possible. What about winter storms or hurricanes too. Your going to be stuck at work for long hours.

Me, too, bro. I'm not a morning person. 4-midnight is fine with me. My wife would disagree with me though.

- Joe DiMaggio

Yes. Winter storms & hurricanes, too. We have to report to our home station to be on stand by. It's mandatory. Works for me. Again, more money in my pocket. Bottom line.

- Joe DiMaggio

Me, too, bro. I'm not a morning person. 4-midnight is fine with me. My wife would disagree with me though.

- Joe DiMaggio

of course the wife would lol until she see's the money lol.

of course the wife would lol until she see's the money lol.

Exactly. She wants me to work mornings to be home at night. Bro, money makes any woman happy LOL!

- Joe DiMaggio

Exactly. She wants me to work mornings to be home at night. Bro, money makes any woman happy LOL!

- Joe DiMaggio

exact same conversation I had with my wife. I told I her I would take whatever they gave me for now. But I would prefer the nights.

- Joe DiMaggio

if you want to live comfortably this is what has to be done. Nice things cost money lol.

Bro you better let her know if she want a nice house just accept it

I did. We had that conversation. Trust me. Our first year is going to be brutal.

- Joe DiMaggio

exact same conversation I had with my wife. I told I her I would take whatever they gave me for now. But I would prefer the nights.

if you want to live comfortably this is what has to be done. Nice things cost money lol.

Same here, bro. I told her that I'd rather work nights. I like to sleep in LOL! She completely understands. I also told her my first year they're gonna have me all over the place.

- Joe DiMaggio

For all you people thinking all this OT. It is not like a regular job where you can work 60 hrs a week or more. Let me explain, this is a "job sensitive position". Therefore, there are restrictions. Like you can only work 16 hrs straight & MUST have a 12 hours rest period afterwards. Also, if you think you can work 7 days a week your wrong. Only 6 days a week. And you have to put a form in requesting you want OT. So they know who to call & who not to call. But when you first start off, otherwise known as XX "extra extra". You may be on board waiting on a job @ times. You get paid as soon as you sign in, then hanging out in the crewroom. So let's say you are on board & in the crewroom for 4 hrs. Then, the Dispatcher has a 8 hour job for you. That is 4 hrs OT just chilling.

Archived