Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

For all you people thinking all this OT. It is not like a regular job where you can work 60 hrs a week or more. Let me explain, this is a "job sensitive position". Therefore, there are restrictions. Like you can only work 16 hrs straight & MUST have a 12 hours rest period afterwards. Also, if you think you can work 7 days a week your wrong. Only 6 days a week. And you have to put a form in requesting you want OT. So they know who to call & who not to call. But when you first start off, otherwise known as XX "extra extra". You may be on board waiting on a job @ times. You get paid as soon as you sign in, then hanging out in the crewroom. So let's say you are on board & in the crewroom for 4 hrs. Then, the Dispatcher has a 8 hour job for you. That is 4 hrs OT just chilling.

So technically you just got paid for a 12 hour shift. Not too shabby to me.

"I would like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

- Joe DiMaggio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is correct.

Moral of the story...I'm not complaining if I ever get it. Like I keep saying over and over again it's more green in my bank account. That's it.

- Joe DiMaggio

For all you people thinking all this OT. It is not like a regular job where you can work 60 hrs a week or more. Let me explain, this is a "job sensitive position". Therefore, there are restrictions. Like you can only work 16 hrs straight & MUST have a 12 hours rest period afterwards. Also, if you think you can work 7 days a week your wrong. Only 6 days a week. And you have to put a form in requesting you want OT. So they know who to call & who not to call. But when you first start off, otherwise known as XX "extra extra". You may be on board waiting on a job @ times. You get paid as soon as you sign in, then hanging out in the crewroom. So let's say you are on board & in the crewroom for 4 hrs. Then, the Dispatcher has a 8 hour job for you. That is 4 hrs OT just chilling.

I understand. But makes total sense. I wouldn't want to work to the point that it could cause me to have issues coming to work or not being able to perform well because of lack of sleep.

You guys are coming on the job at a perfect time for conductors. Many of the conductors that I have spoken too told me that they were able to pick a schedule while still on probation. I've been a train operator for the last 4 months and I know for sure that I won't be able to pick a schedule while on probation. You guys will all be able to pick a schedule way before I am which could be good or bad depending on what you pick. Sometimes I miss being able to pick a nice schedule as a bus operator but in the long run i know I made the right move. Hopefully those of you who pick the A division I will see on the road soon.

I understand. But makes total sense. I wouldn't want to work to the point that it could cause me to have issues coming to work or not being able to perform well because of lack of sleep.

Same here.

- Joe DiMaggio

You guys are coming on the job at a perfect time for conductors. Many of the conductors that I have spoken too told me that they were able to pick a schedule while still on probation. I've been a train operator for the last 4 months and I know for sure that I won't be able to pick a schedule while on probation. You guys will all be able to pick a schedule way before I am which could be good or bad depending on what you pick. Sometimes I miss being able to pick a nice schedule as a bus operator but in the long run i know I made the right move. Hopefully those of you who pick the A division I will see on the road soon.

I am so picking the A division. 7 train!

- Joe DiMaggio

I totally want "A" division but, I'll take whatever is available.

Me, too, bro. 7 train here I come! Did you get all your stuff for class?

- Joe DiMaggio

Yeah, dude. I know the TO's make more money but too many headaches to deal with.

- Joe DiMaggio

Hey Amm0, you never answered my question from last night but if you don't want to then it's fine.

- Joe DiMaggio

It's not a headache at all once you know ur job. I feel conductors have a lot to deal with a lot more, and deserve to get a higher base pay. They deal with customers, opening closing the doors, door issues, etc. I stay in my cab most of the time chilling. My job is safe operation of the train from terminal to terminal.

Not sure how much TO's make but I know Conductor's make $21.07 starting and $30 an hour at top pay but you also have to include Sunday's (double time) and night differential.

- Joe DiMaggio

TO's have more responsibility and their schooling is a lot longer. Nine months if memory serves.

- Joe DiMaggio

There's no double pay on Sundays.

Believe it or not, good ques. I believe if you are on nights; on a weekend it is still 10% on top of your pay.

Night differential is not 10%, much less, I forgot the exact amount, but I work nights. There is no weekend differential pay.

Conductors will be picking pretty fast, so you will only be required a minimum of 8 hours of rest between shifts (12 while xx), and your able to work a maximum of 14 hours straight, unless it's an emergency and you get approval from upper management. At least, that's how it is for TO's.

You don't have to put in a form to get overtime, if you do you will subject yourself to it on a weekly basis, and your committed at that point. You can call the crew office at anytime asking if overtime is available for any given day, they also announce availability over the radio throughout the day.

Don't work too much overtime while on probation, and don't work your RDO's while on probation. Pass probation first. Also, don't work so much OT after probation that it takes a toll on your family. It will take a toll on the family, money isn't everything.

Okay so what are the Mta approved back packs

For conductors

My backpack converts into a duffel bag and meet the requirements. For now get a bag that your school car instructor recommends or approves. They will also provide you with a bulletin on approved bags, and/or the requirement

E what bag so you have

I for got the exact model of the bag, but I bought it from REI. Timbuk2. They sold out of the bag, after I purchased it, everyone else bought the same bag. There are other bags just alike, where the straps tuck in and turn into a small duffel bag. It meet the requirements.

It's not a headache at all once you know ur job. I feel conductors have a lot to deal with a lot more, and deserve to get a higher base pay. They deal with customers, opening closing the doors, door issues, etc. I stay in my cab most of the time chilling. My job is safe operation of the train from terminal to terminal.

Night differential is not 10%, much less, I forgot the exact amount, but I work nights. There is no weekend differential pay.

Conductors will be picking pretty fast, so you will only be required a minimum of 8 hours of rest between shifts (12 while xx), and your able to work a maximum of 14 hours straight, unless it's an emergency and you get approval from upper management. At least, that's how it is for TO's.

You don't have to put in a form to get overtime, if you do you will subject yourself to it on a weekly basis, and your committed at that point. You can call the crew office at anytime asking if overtime is available for any given day, they also announce availability over the radio throughout the day.

Don't work too much overtime while on probation, and don't work your RDO's while on probation. Pass probation first. Also, don't work so much OT after probation that it takes a toll on your family. It will take a toll on the family, money isn't everything.

Thanks for the heads up.

- Joe DiMaggio

I can't wait though!

- Joe DiMaggio

My backpack converts into a duffel bag and meet the requirements. For now get a bag that your school car instructor recommends or approves. They will also provide you with a bulletin on approved bags, and/or the requirement

Like I said before I bought the Husky 18 inch bag. I heard it's MTA approved.

- Joe DiMaggio

E what bag so you have

Amm0, what bag are you getting, bro? I'm bringing mine on the first day. Don't feel like carrying a shitload of stuff in my hands.

- Joe DiMaggio

Like I said before I bought the Husky 18 inch bag. I heard it's MTA approved.

- Joe DiMaggio

The MTA approved bags will be listed in the handout (bulletin) you will receive. The Husky bags meets their requirements, once you remove the shoulder strap.

Night Differential is 6pm-6am

Weekend Differential starts Fri night @ 6pm & ends Mon morning @ 6am.

Keep in mind, MTA strictly goes by military time. I put it in basically english.

Corrected: 6pm to 559 AM every night Monday thru Friday. 6pm Friday to 559 AM Monday (on weekends), but it's still "night differential" on your pay stub.

There is no "double time" for Sundays.

When you're new, it's highly recommended NOT to work voluntary overtime. You will be all over the place with reporting times and locations. You will be on probation, which means if you mess up, it is easier for the TA to fire you.

Learn the job first, then work overtime if you're inclined.

Second part - you will be working harder for less pay. Seriously. You will be at starting pay rate. 3 hours of overtime with <1 year on the job will pay what 2 hours of overtime will pay when you reach top pay. You will get a good amount of overtime as it is when you're new by being on the extra board and picking up jobs. Don't try to burn the candle at both ends, screw up, and lose the job altogether.

"Hours of service" has been changed within the last 2 years. It is now a maximum of 14 hours a day (this is the most the Crew Office will authorize), but it can be up to 16 if it is involuntary overtime (such as if something happens). You are supposed to have 10 hours between your clearing time and your start time the next day, 12 if you are XX. It is your duty to notify the Crew Office if you have <10 hours between jobs. As trainman said, you can only work one RDO per week, and that applies to TA weeks, not to "your" week. The TA week runs from Sunday through Saturday. So if you are off Tuesday-Wednesday and work Tuesday, you can't work Wednesday. But if your XX, you work your RDO Tuesday, and the following week your RDO's are changed to Sunday/Saturday, you CAN work Sunday. But if you do, you can't work the Saturday that follows.

So as an extra you always get 12 hours in between shifts or that's only if you work 16 hours?

SubwayGuy explained it before. 10 hrs after your shift & 12 hrs when you are XX.

Anyone has a contact number ,if my friend didn't receive a letter

Ms. Vargas 1-347-643-8218.

When you're new, it's highly recommended NOT to work voluntary overtime. You will be all over the place with reporting times and locations. You will be on probation, which means if you mess up, it is easier for the TA to fire you.

Learn the job first, then work overtime if you're inclined.

Second part - you will be working harder for less pay. Seriously. You will be at starting pay rate. 3 hours of overtime with <1 year on the job will pay what 2 hours of overtime will pay when you reach top pay. You will get a good amount of overtime as it is when you're new by being on the extra board and picking up jobs. Don't try to burn the candle at both ends, screw up, and lose the job altogether.

"Hours of service" has been changed within the last 2 years. It is now a maximum of 14 hours a day (this is the most the Crew Office will authorize), but it can be up to 16 if it is involuntary overtime (such as if something happens). You are supposed to have 10 hours between your clearing time and your start time the next day, 12 if you are XX. It is your duty to notify the Crew Office if you have <10 hours between jobs. As trainman said, you can only work one RDO per week, and that applies to TA weeks, not to "your" week. The TA week runs from Sunday through Saturday. So if you are off Tuesday-Wednesday and work Tuesday, you can't work Wednesday. But if your XX, you work your RDO Tuesday, and the following week your RDO's are changed to Sunday/Saturday, you CAN work Sunday. But if you do, you can't work the Saturday that follows.

Ques: What if someone is XX and been waiting a on job for 7 hrs for example. Then, the Dispatcher says that person has to report for a 10 hr job. I am aware that while XX if there are NO jobs within 8 hrs of waiting on board. You sign out & go home. Paid for the entire day. Now remember you said the rules have changed in the last couple pertaining to working straight hrs. I originally thought it was 16. Now, I am hearing 14. Ok. So here is my ques. What if somebody has been on board for 7 hrs for instances. Then the Dispatcher has a 10 hour job. Does that individual have to take it? Yes or no??

Ques: What if someone is XX and been waiting a on job for 7 hrs for example. Then, the Dispatcher says that person has to report for a 10 hr job. I am aware that while XX if there are NO jobs within 8 hrs of waiting on board. You sign out & go home. Paid for the entire day. Now remember you said the rules have changed in the last couple pertaining to working straight hrs. I originally thought it was 16. Now, I am hearing 14. Ok. So here is my ques. What if somebody has been on board for 7 hrs for instances. Then the Dispatcher has a 10 hour job. Does that individual have to take it? Yes or no??

Then you will only work up to an additional seven hours, of that job. It all gets factored in, including your report time the next day. The crew office takes notices, before calling you for a job.

I had to go in today but my job couldn't let me take the day off due to mandatory reasons here at the hospital I'm trying to call vargas but mailbox is full ..what a crazy day

That stinks! Have you tried to email her? That MIGHT get a quicker response. 

This was actually a question ive been meaning to ask: We were given the 21-page document to fill out and were told that we would get a call some time in the next 2 weeks to 90 days. How much time does the MTA give you to get your things in order, like giving your current employer proper notice, from the time of the second medical (even though thats our problem and not theirs). Ive been here a number of years and would hate to leave abruptly and leave on bad terms. Again, our problem, not theirs, but still.

Archived