Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

The MTA approved bags will be listed in the handout (bulletin) you will receive. The Husky bags meets their requirements, once you remove the shoulder strap.

Thank you.

"I would like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee."

- Joe DiMaggio

That stinks! Have you tried to email her? That MIGHT get a quicker response.

This was actually a question ive been meaning to ask: We were given the 21-page document to fill out and were told that we would get a call some time in the next 2 weeks to 90 days. How much time does the MTA give you to get your things in order, like giving your current employer proper notice, from the time of the second medical (even though thats our problem and not theirs). Ive been here a number of years and would hate to leave abruptly and leave on bad terms. Again, our problem, not theirs, but still.

Give your current job two weeks notice but wait till your medically qualified and officially sworn in.

- Joe DiMaggio

This was actually a question ive been meaning to ask: We were given the 21-page document to fill out and were told that we would get a call some time in the next 2 weeks to 90 days. How much time does the MTA give you to get your things in order, like giving your current employer proper notice, from the time of the second medical (even though thats our problem and not theirs). Ive been here a number of years and would hate to leave abruptly and leave on bad terms. Again, our problem, not theirs, but still.

The last few times I've called her she's answered the phone. Just keep trying. Don't give up & stay on top of them.

- Joe DiMaggio

I had to go in today but my job couldn't let me take the day off due to mandatory reasons here at the hospital I'm trying to call vargas but mailbox is full ..what a crazy day

Keep trying, bro & don't take no for an answer. Stay on top of it.

- Joe DiMaggio

Then you will only work up to an additional seven hours, of that job. It all gets factored in, including your report time the next day. The crew office takes notices, before calling you for a job.

Good to know. Thanks.

- Joe DiMaggio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corrected: 6pm to 559 AM every night Monday thru Friday. 6pm Friday to 559 AM Monday (on weekends), but it's still "night differential" on your pay stub.

There is no "double time" for Sundays.

So if you're on the board and you get picked for a job anytime between Monday and Friday night after 6 you are automatically guaranteed night differential including weekends? Sounds like a sweet deal to me!

- Joe DiMaggio

I have to go in for the pre employment process next Friday can someone please tell me if having no work experience would affect my chance of getting the job

Make sure you have your work history in order. They check EVERYTHING!

- Joe DiMaggio

When you're new, it's highly recommended NOT to work voluntary overtime. You will be all over the place with reporting times and locations. You will be on probation, which means if you mess up, it is easier for the TA to fire you.

Learn the job first, then work overtime if you're inclined.

Second part - you will be working harder for less pay. Seriously. You will be at starting pay rate. 3 hours of overtime with <1 year on the job will pay what 2 hours of overtime will pay when you reach top pay. You will get a good amount of overtime as it is when you're new by being on the extra board and picking up jobs. Don't try to burn the candle at both ends, screw up, and lose the job altogether.

"Hours of service" has been changed within the last 2 years. It is now a maximum of 14 hours a day (this is the most the Crew Office will authorize), but it can be up to 16 if it is involuntary overtime (such as if something happens). You are supposed to have 10 hours between your clearing time and your start time the next day, 12 if you are XX. It is your duty to notify the Crew Office if you have <10 hours between jobs. As trainman said, you can only work one RDO per week, and that applies to TA weeks, not to "your" week. The TA week runs from Sunday through Saturday. So if you are off Tuesday-Wednesday and work Tuesday, you can't work Wednesday. But if your XX, you work your RDO Tuesday, and the following week your RDO's are changed to Sunday/Saturday, you CAN work Sunday. But if you do, you can't work the Saturday that follows.

That's what sucks about it. The first year you're gonna be all over the damn place & you don't know what shift you'll be working from day to day. I'm hoping I can get the A division (7 train) after probation is up.

- Joe DiMaggio

Ques: What if someone is XX and been waiting a on job for 7 hrs for example. Then, the Dispatcher says that person has to report for a 10 hr job. I am aware that while XX if there are NO jobs within 8 hrs of waiting on board. You sign out & go home. Paid for the entire day. Now remember you said the rules have changed in the last couple pertaining to working straight hrs. I originally thought it was 16. Now, I am hearing 14. Ok. So here is my ques. What if somebody has been on board for 7 hrs for instances. Then the Dispatcher has a 10 hour job. Does that individual have to take it? Yes or no??

Interesting....

- Joe DiMaggio

My regular back pack

No doubt, bro.

- Joe DiMaggio

My advice to you is: "DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB YET"! Take a leave of absence at best. At least two months. By then you will pretty much know whether this new job with Transit is for you or not. But if you can take a 6 month leave of absence to even be on the safer side. Do that instead. No guarantees with passing training for anybody.

My advice to you is: "DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB YET"! Take a leave of absence at best. At least two months. By then you will pretty much know whether this new job with Transit is for you or not. But if you can take a 6 month leave of absence to even be on the safer side. Do that instead. No guarantees with passing training for anybody.

Exactly. I wish I could've done that with my job but they wouldn't have it. Have all of your affairs in order. Job history, place you've lived and all the schools you've attended.

- Joe DiMaggio

that's what I am doing. I will take a leave for up to a year just in case things don't work out.

that's what I am doing. I will take a leave for up to a year just in case things don't work out.

We just to have think positively. That's all. I think it'll work itself out.

- Joe DiMaggio

We just to have think positively. That's all. I think it'll work itself out.

- Joe DiMaggio

of course but I always like to have a plan b. But I don't expect anything to go wrong.

of course but I always like to have a plan b. But I don't expect anything to go wrong.

Same here. My supervisor told me that taking 2 months leave wouldn't fly with my company and I don't think they'd hold my current position now for 2 months incase this thing goes south. I doubt anything will go wrong either. I agree.

- Joe DiMaggio

I doubt it. Just makes it easy filing paper work lol.

Agreed.

- Joe DiMaggio

I wonder if anyone else is going on Monday for pre-employment

I don't know if they would ask how you supported yourself while not working.

Doubt it, bro.

- Joe DiMaggio

So this is how you change your signature, so you don't have to type (or copy & paste) this over and over again:

1) On the top right of the webpage, click on your user name or the arrow facing down (it doesn't matter).

2) Click on "my settings."

3) Click on "signature" on the left hand side.

4) When you are done, click on "Save Changes."

NOTE: This particular post will be deleted within 36 hours of the time this was created, since this is to help out a certain member, which does not pertain to the overall topic.

Thanks, dude.

- Joe DiMaggio

I wonder if anyone else is going on Monday for pre-employment

I don't know if they would ask how you supported yourself while not working.

Good question.

- Joe DiMaggio

Since most of us won't be able to take that much time off for absence. What's a guesstimated time you think they would have our background completed. If we hit the books n study hard, we should do well in school car.

Depending on whether you are going in for Conductor or Train Operator?? Train Operator School Car is much longer especially if you get Division B. You will be on 1 year probation from the first day you begin training. After that 1 year is up it's fair to say you are good.

When I was going through the process for the job I have now. They wanted to know but every agency is different.

Yeah. Every agency is different.

- Joe DiMaggio

Depending on whether you are going in for Conductor or Train Operator?? Train Operator School Car is much longer especially if you get Division B. You will be on 1 year probation from the first day you begin training. After that 1 year is up it's fair to say you are good.

Conductor School Car is 2 months and TO School Car is nine months.

- Joe DiMaggio

Since most of us won't be able to take that much time off for absence. What's a guesstimated time you think they would have our background completed. If we hit the books n study hard, we should do well in school car.

I'm gonna study my ass off. There's no way in hell I'm going back to my old life. I busted my ass to get this far & had zero help in getting this job. In my opinion there's no room failure. Only victory.

- Joe DiMaggio

Thank you ,just emailed her

I hope you find what you're looking for. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

- Joe DiMaggio

Archived