Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

I had one guy in my train operator school car class who resigned after 2 weeks. These jobs are not for everybody. Some people don't have jobs that will allow them to take an extended leave of absence. Some people don't like working nights, weekends, and holidays. Conductor school car isn't half as bad as Train Operator school car but never the less your TSS's will definitely try to scare you in the very beginning in terms of giving you examples of how one mistake on your part can lead to the end of your career with the MTA. This alone might make someone in your class quit. You have to be mentally strong to survive down here.

Oh I know and the TO's School Car is rigorous and a lot more demanding than Conductor School Car but to be honest, bro, I didn't wait 8 years to make it this far and just give up now. Not in my DNA. I'm ready. Excited and nervous at the same time.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great advice can some of the vets here let's us new comers know what we should really focus on.

Once you start schoolcar, focus on:

Door operations at terminals (both arriving and departing).

Door operations at stations en route.

Familiarity with the equipment in your assigned subdivision (including really understanding how the MDC panel that controls the doors works).

Door cutout procedures for the equipment in your subdivision.

How to isolate a car.

Announcement cycle, and blue book announcements.

RTO terminology, understanding what things are called.

Over time, also try to learn where the tracks in your division go, the names of stations, and transfers. If you decide to go to T/O, this will help you more than you know. It will also help you as a C/R, since if a T/O takes an irregular lineup, you will know whether it's a wrong route or not. (There are places in the system where you can take a lineup you wouldn't normally and not be diverted from your regular route at all, such as going around a work train or a train having a problem, and you don't want to be the one who pulls the cord. You also don't want to be the one who your train does take a wrong lineup and you don't pull the cord because you didn't realize it.)

Subwayguy you are dead on with everything you just mentioned. Funny how I thought conductors just open and close doors as well as make announcements. Boy was I WRONG! Lol

There's something called "behind the scenes" which the public doesn't see compared to the employees. Although I haven't been in schoolcar yet, from seeing unusual things on the platform level at the Transit Museum, pictures on this site and various yard tours, I can understand where he is coming from 100%.

Once you start schoolcar, focus on:

Door operations at terminals (both arriving and departing).

Door operations at stations en route.

Familiarity with the equipment in your assigned subdivision (including really understanding how the MDC panel that controls the doors works).

Door cutout procedures for the equipment in your subdivision.

How to isolate a car.

Announcement cycle, and blue book announcements.

RTO terminology, understanding what things are called.

Over time, also try to learn where the tracks in your division go, the names of stations, and transfers. If you decide to go to T/O, this will help you more than you know. It will also help you as a C/R, since if a T/O takes an irregular lineup, you will know whether it's a wrong route or not. (There are places in the system where you can take a lineup you wouldn't normally and not be diverted from your regular route at all, such as going around a work train or a train having a problem, and you don't want to be the one who pulls the cord. You also don't want to be the one who your train does take a wrong lineup and you don't pull the cord because you didn't realize it.)

Thank you. I've been reading up.

There's something called "behind the scenes" which the public doesn't see compared to the employees. Although I haven't been in schoolcar yet, from seeing unusual things on the platform level at the Transit Museum, pictures on this site and various yard tours, I can understand where he is coming from 100%.

Yep. They don't know what's really going on.

Subwayguy you are dead on with everything you just mentioned. Funny how I thought conductors just open and close doors as well as make announcements. Boy was I WRONG! Lol

Exactly!

Nobody who recently went the past week or two for pre employment will be going anytime soon for a medical. It's too early

Oh and keep in mind guys it's 100%..... as soon as the list is established for the promotional which was given over a year ago, this list is dead. The last class for 8094 is going to be December but even possibly earlier. They said it at my pre employment

Well that's good if it's 90 days.

No. It is 90 days. That's why I called back for a second one. Almost 2 weeks later I got called for my medical and passed everything. Just waiting for class to start. Been reading my book everyday at work. Are you gonna be in the August 29th class with me?

No. It is 90 days. That's why I called back for a second one. Almost 2 weeks later I got called for my medical and passed everything. Just waiting for class to start. Been reading my book everyday at work. Are you gonna be in the August 29th class with me?

unfortunately i won't. I'm going in tomorrow to start my pre-employment application.

unfortunately i won't. I'm going in tomorrow to start my pre-employment application.

Damn. For some reason I thought we were gonna be in the same class together. Make sure you get there super early. Like 6:15. You wanna be in & out of there.

Damn. For some reason I thought we were gonna be in the same class together. Make sure you get there super early. Like 6:15. You wanna be in & out of there.

I heard. I'm just double checking my paper work. So what do they do when I first get there? Do they just take my paperwork and go over it then send me to do my drug test?

I heard. I'm just double checking my paper work. So what do they do when I first get there? Do they just take my paperwork and go over it then send me to do my drug test?

You sign in as you walk in. Then you take the elevator to the 5th and give you a pass. Make sure you have your ID out. After that you sit down & they tell people to form a line for the ones who are there for preemployment. They check your paper work & ask you if you have any outstanding parking tix. If you do they won't let you take your drug test. Again, make sure you have that all straightened out. If everything checks out then they give you more paper work to fill out for the actual drug test until they call you up again to tell you to go down the hall to the lab passed the area where you checked in after you first got there.

You sign in as you walk in. Then you take the elevator to the 5th and give you a pass. Make sure you have your ID out. After that you sit down & they tell people to form a line for the ones who are there for preemployment. They check your paper work & ask you if you have any outstanding parking tix. If you do they won't let you take your drug test. Again, make sure you have that all straightened out. If everything checks out then they give you more paper work to fill out for the actual drug test until they call you up again to tell you to go down the hall to the lab passed the area where you checked in after you first got there.

okay seems like a easy day. I had to add an extra page for address to my pre-employment application. I checked and I don't have any pending tickets. Thanks for the info.b I'm nervous because I want this job very bad. I even went out for a jog to work on making sure my blood pressure was good lol.

okay seems like a easy day. I had to add an extra page for address to my pre-employment application. I checked and I don't have any pending tickets. Thanks for the info.b I'm nervous because I want this job very bad. I even went out for a jog to work on making sure my blood pressure was good lol.

Them, too. Make sure you have all of your ducks in a row. Easy day?! Not sure about that. I've had people tell me that they've been there all day just for that. Sometimes till like 4 in the afternoon. Latest I've ever had to stay was 12:15 in the afternoon.

Them, too. Make sure you have all of your ducks in a row. Easy day?! Not sure about that. I've had people tell me that they've been there all day just for that. Sometimes till like 4 in the afternoon. Latest I've ever had to stay was 12:15 in the afternoon.

I mean it seems simple lol. That why I am going to try and get there as early as possible. It worth the wait lol.

I mean it seems simple lol. That why I am going to try and get there as early as possible. It worth the wait lol.

Oh true. Pretty straightforward. Get there w little after 6. Anytime after like 6:30 is no good. It starts getting busy out there.

Archived