Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

How bad was the video tprashad0719

she unloaded a crap load of bugs in the subway car and then some genius decides to pull the emergency brake. Now I read the lady wasn't crazy just pulling of a practical joke for a rival video.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/new-york/cricket-flinging-woman-sends-train-riders-chaos-article-1.2765937

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a train operator.

No they don't tell you when it's complete. Just be honest and your good.

Yes I am. During your first year, especially while being a TO, lots of pressure and expectations. Now that probation is over, I feel like i'm going to work, like how it use to feel at my previous jobs of many years.

Cool.

Right. Just keep your head down and shut up.

That's what I'm worried about the most. I just wanna get it over with.

yeah man I felt sorry for that crew.

Me, too. I felt sorry for the Conductor & TO on that line.

she unloaded a crap load of bugs in the subway car and then some genius decides to pull the emergency brake. Now I read the lady wasn't crazy just pulling of a practical joke for a rival video.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/new-york/cricket-flinging-woman-sends-train-riders-chaos-article-1.2765937

Can't be like that. Just do your job.

How bad was the video tprashad0719

Wait a minute. What video?

I went Thursday, thank god I went early..i was on the line by 6:15 am, soooo many T/O and C/R and few bus OP was there...I was out of there by 3 pm...took my urine test and just finished this 21 page homework...still debating if I should take this job or just wait for the next CI or Signal maintainer exam to come out...after seeing that video with the D train incident I don't think 21 per hour can cut it..LOL

Well look at it this way you can always take promotional exams and the Conductor's salary does go up to 30 an hour after 5 years. Before it used to be three years. With the new union contract it went up to 5 years.

@Tprashad, how is everything moving along?

I hope it all works out for you, bro.

there should be a video youtube, not only she was crazy, she took a piss and crap in the subway car...idiot who pulled the cord should of just waited for the train to reach the next station, now you as the conductor need to call it in, let your T/O know whats going on and then normalize the pulled cord and get that train moving ASAP

there should be a video youtube, not only she was crazy, she took a piss and crap in the subway car...idiot who pulled the cord should of just waited for the train to reach the next station, now you as the conductor need to call it in, let your T/O know whats going on and then normalize the pulled cord and get that train moving ASAP

The TO would be the first person I'm calling and then I would have called the police enroute to the next station. Next step I would've taken is normalizing that cord just to get that train moving ASAP. Don't want people cursing you out.

@Tprashad, only you can figure out if this is the right choice for you. But I'd say just do it already. Always better to get into the system and pension scheme. You can always move up in a few years.

Exactly. I agree. You're gonna be making good money regardless.

I spoke with a conductor on the 7 line this morning. She told me the job is all great the first few years until you realize you can't stand it anymore. She said she can't wait to get out ASAP and she's taking the promotional to TO. She said as conductor the customer service aspect is a nightmare.

Oh she also said she takes Aleve every day from neck pain from looking out the window all day to close the doors. Also she said the ventilation in the conductor cab is horribe, and often very hot.

What is the name of this video? I have to watch it now. Can you leave the link on here?

Color me contrary, but...

If you don't work here yet or just got hired, stop trying to figure out your entire career right now. Stop worrying about promotions, or thinking you won't like the title.

Get hired and learn the job first. Take every promotional test that comes your way, but you don't have to plan your entire career from jump, and you should really focus on being the best CR you can be.

Also, there is a lot to learn in all titles, and you need to devote yourself to learning the ins and outs of the job when you are hired, not distracting yourselves by worrying about promotions, etc. There are far too many down here already who are busy promoting themselves to superintendent in their minds despite the fact they haven't even become a "good" CR or TO yet, and we don't need more of them.

This is friendly advice, please don't interpret it any other way. Getting hired is the easy part, keeping the job is the hard part.

If you don't work here yet or just got hired, stop trying to figure out your entire career right now. Stop worrying about promotions, or thinking you won't like the title.

Get hired and learn the job first. Take every promotional test that comes your way, but you don't have to plan your entire career from jump, and you should really focus on being the best CR you can be.

Also, there is a lot to learn in all titles, and you need to devote yourself to learning the ins and outs of the job when you are hired, not distracting yourselves by worrying about promotions, etc. There are far too many down here already who are busy promoting themselves to superintendent in their minds despite the fact they haven't even become a "good" CR or TO yet, and we don't need more of them.

This is friendly advice, please don't interpret it any other way. Getting hired is the easy part, keeping the job is the hard part.

couldn't agree more.

Well said, SubwayGuy and you are 100% right. I'm just worried about just getting through my first 2 months.

couldn't agree more.

Same here.

Good advice, SubwayGuy. I intend to follow it when/if I'm hired as conductor.

There's a lot to be said for taking pride in the work you do and making every effort to do the best work possible however long you're in a title. And nothing wrong with staying in a title you like and you're good at for your entire career.

Good advice, SubwayGuy. I intend to follow it when/if I'm hired as conductor.

There's a lot to be said for taking pride in the work you do and making every effort to do the best work possible however long you're in a title. And nothing wrong with staying in a title you like and you're good at for your entire career.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. I'm not taking any promotional exams. I can still make excellent money staying where I am.

I spoke with a conductor on the 7 line this morning. She told me the job is all great the first few years until you realize you can't stand it anymore. She said she can't wait to get out ASAP and she's taking the promotional to TO. She said as conductor the customer service aspect is a nightmare.

Oh she also said she takes Aleve every day from neck pain from looking out the window all day to close the doors. Also she said the ventilation in the conductor cab is horribe, and often very hot.

Please don't take on her attitude before you actually do the job. Go in with no expectations besides making 21 an hour. Don't be negative instead.....

Follow his advice.

I wouldn't carry what a lot of people on the job will tell you. Everyone has their view point many of which are different. You have to form you own perspective and experience and work from there. I wouldn't keep asking every conductor I see about the job. They will tell you what they feel, which could be the wrong thing for someone who is trying to get this job or just starting. Take in what you need to learn and move on from there.

Please don't take on her attitude before you actually do the job. Go in with no expectations besides making 21 an hour. Don't be negative instead.....

Follow his advice.

Exactly. Form your own opinions before you do or say something you're gonna regret.

Follow his advice.

I agree. Just do what you are told & mind your own business.

I wouldn't carry what a lot of people on the job will tell you. Everyone has their view point many of which are different. You have to form you own perspective and experience and work from there. I wouldn't keep asking every conductor I see about the job. They will tell you what they feel, which could be the wrong thing for someone who is trying to get this job or just starting. Take in what you need to learn and move on from there.

What do you think of the job? And yes, I know you haven't been hired yet. Just curious.

Exactly. Form your own opinions before you do or say something you're gonna regret.

I agree. Just do what you are told & mind your own business.

What do you think of the job? And yes, I know you haven't been hired yet. Just curious.

I feel that this job is a great job to have to get you feet in the door working for the city. For me it's been a job ive always wanted so, nothing negative can change my mind. When I first got the job I have now people told me all the things that are wrong about it and, the experiences they had. I took what people said about my job with a gain of salt because what you may experience is different than what I may experience. Yes I will sacrifice my personal life for a job that I like because the pleasure will come from putting on that MTA uniform and, performing my duties correctly. I would want to eventually move up to train operator but, that is down the road. I sit patiently waiting for my medical. 

I feel that this job is a great job to have to get you feet in the door working for the city. For me it's been a job ive always wanted so, nothing negative can change my mind. When I first got the job I have now people told me all the things that are wrong about it and, the experiences they had. I took what people said about my job with a gain of salt because what you may experience is different than what I may experience. Yes I will sacrifice my personal life for a job that I like because the pleasure will come from putting on that MTA uniform and, performing my duties correctly. I would want to eventually move up to train operator but, that is down the road. I sit patiently waiting for my medical.

I have no doubt in my mind that you'll get to the next step in no time. Maybe one day we'll see each other on the road.

I have no doubt in my mind that you'll get to the next step in no time. Maybe one day we'll see each other on the road.

It is possible. I'm just trying to stay focus. I know people have their doubts about the job but, it doesn't hurt to see if it is for you or not. 

I know you must be excited, you start tomorrow. 

It is possible. I'm just trying to stay focus. I know people have their doubts about the job but, it doesn't hurt to see if it is for you or not.

I know you must be excited, you start tomorrow.

Same here, bro. I know without a doubt it is for me or else I would've never taken the exam. I waited eight years for this. A new chapter of my life starts tomorrow. The old one is closed.

Oh I am & nervous at the same time. Just keep my mouth shut, do what I'm told & study my ass off.

You're gonna be fine. I can feel it.

Archived