Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

Same here, bro. I know without a doubt it is for me or else I would've never taken the exam. I waited eight years for this. A new chapter of my life starts tomorrow. The old one is closed.

Oh I am & nervous at the same time. Just keep my mouth shut, do what I'm told & study my ass off.

You're gonna be fine. I can feel it.

that's the way to go. Stay positive and keep us updated.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously I'm not thinking of the negatives. Truthfully its a JOB what job doesn't have there hiccups. I focusing on getting this job, this shit can change my life in a major way and nothing within my control is stopping me from having this.

Seriously I'm not thinking of the negatives. Truthfully its a JOB what job doesn't have there hiccups. I focusing on getting this job, this shit can change my life in a major way and nothing within my control is stopping me from having this.

amen

Amen to that, brother!

amen

Yes!

That's what I'm talking about. Amen to that

just curious who here is leaving there job by taking a pay cut and leaving a pension behind? just curious

reason why I am up in the air about taking the job is not because I dont think its a bad job  and all...I been working in the hospital for 10 years now with benifets,union and pension making $22 per hr but I know the mta offers a better pension and 401k program which is great and all ..so this is why I am up in the air with the position..again the job can be a great job but in my shoes as we speak I need to really think things over before they call me in for medical ..

good luck to those who start today and keep your head up and honestly don't  listen to anyone but yourself and TSS..i wasn't being negative on the job just saying was it really worth me starting at 21 per hour with ridiculous days off and hours ..I know in the long run it will be worth it ..so the thinking begins SMH

hard to leave a m-f schedule with weekends off ..35 hours per week..if I had OT here on a regular it would be a no brainer for me ..but we dont

just curious who here is leaving there job by taking a pay cut and leaving a pension behind? just curious

reason why I am up in the air about taking the job is not because I dont think its a bad job  and all...I been working in the hospital for 10 years now with benifets,union and pension making $22 per hr but I know the mta offers a better pension and 401k program which is great and all ..so this is why I am up in the air with the position..again the job can be a great job but in my shoes as we speak I need to really think things over before they call me in for medical ..

good luck to those who start today and keep your head up and honestly don't  listen to anyone but yourself and TSS..i wasn't being negative on the job just saying was it really worth me starting at 21 per hour with ridiculous days off and hours ..I know in the long run it will be worth it ..so the thinking begins SMH

hard to leave a m-f schedule with weekends off ..35 hours per week..if I had OT here on a regular it would be a no brainer for me ..but we dont

I came from healthcare after 18 years, and i'm currently 36yrs of age. I was a supervisor, and was headed to becoming a Director in the Dietary department... I never looked back. I get paid pretty much would I would have made as a director, with less headaches, staffing, daily meetings, union issues, residents, and federal/state rules regulations and yearly surveys, going to work through all kinds of bad weather no matter how bad it gets, understaffed, city blackouts etc.  I did my time, and I don't look back. I now have the opportunity to make more than I would as director.

My question to you is what growth can you get by continuing in your healthcare field, and is it worth it to you? You had a taste of MTA life, so you decisions should not be that hard at all. Weekends are great, but I need a higher income, and getting paid 35hrs a week oppose to 40 makes a big difference, and employers know that.

this is true Erick, I guess the biggest mistakes one can do is get use to a job and hours..i guess I am just to comfortable with my job which is wrong honestly to do because its holding me back....I don't think I can sit here for another 20 years in a office setting and having people breath down my back..this is the reason I posted this up to see others who has been in my shoes....I guess I am still disappointed that I didn't finish schoolcar as a T/O and now settling to be a C/R which is $10 less but its a start to build my self back up....I am 39 years old now married with a 4 year old daughter..i guess I worry to much and think ahead of myself with negative thinkings of making it out of schoolcar and finish 1 year probation..

@Tprashad, I'm in a similar situation. The entry level conductor pay is low, but it goes up quickly and there are a lot more opportunities to ean more (OT, night/weekend differential) than in most office jobs.

That's leaving aside the whole issue of promoting to another title. I'm trying to focus on the back end of a career in Transit, the final 15-20 years, not the entry level pay.

when are you vested in the pension in mta? 5 years?

yea I hear that matt, there is no future here at my job...just got to get use to the MTA life...schedule wise and dealing with the Public

Five years for your pension & ten for your health benefits.

@Tprashad, I'm in a similar situation. The entry level conductor pay is low, but it goes up quickly and there are a lot more opportunities to ean more (OT, night/weekend differential) than in most office jobs.

That's leaving aside the whole issue of promoting to another title. I'm trying to focus on the back end of a career in Transit, the final 15-20 years, not the entry level pay.

This job is a breath of fresh air for me. I'm finally where I want to be.

Same here.

reason why I am up in the air about taking the job is not because I dont think its a bad job and all...I been working in the hospital for 10 years now with benifets,union and pension making $22 per hr but I know the mta offers a better pension and 401k program which is great and all ..so this is why I am up in the air with the position..again the job can be a great job but in my shoes as we speak I need to really think things over before they call me in for medical ..

good luck to those who start today and keep your head up and honestly don't listen to anyone but yourself and TSS..i wasn't being negative on the job just saying was it really worth me starting at 21 per hour with ridiculous days off and hours ..I know in the long run it will be worth it ..so the thinking begins SMH

I'm getting a huge pay increase and better benefits.

I came from healthcare after 18 years, and i'm currently 36yrs of age. I was a supervisor, and was headed to becoming a Director in the Dietary department... I never looked back. I get paid pretty much would I would have made as a director, with less headaches, staffing, daily meetings, union issues, residents, and federal/state rules regulations and yearly surveys, going to work through all kinds of bad weather no matter how bad it gets, understaffed, city blackouts etc. I did my time, and I don't look back. I now have the opportunity to make more than I would as director.

My question to you is what growth can you get by continuing in your healthcare field, and is it worth it to you? You had a taste of MTA life, so you decisions should not be that hard at all. Weekends are great, but I need a higher income, and getting paid 35hrs a week oppose to 40 makes a big difference, and employers know that.

I just got married back in July and to get this job for me is huge!

More OT for me the better!

this is true Erick, I guess the biggest mistakes one can do is get use to a job and hours..i guess I am just to comfortable with my job which is wrong honestly to do because its holding me back....I don't think I can sit here for another 20 years in a office setting and having people breath down my back..this is the reason I posted this up to see others who has been in my shoes....I guess I am still disappointed that I didn't finish schoolcar as a T/O and now settling to be a C/R which is $10 less but its a start to build my self back up....I am 39 years old now married with a 4 year old daughter..i guess I worry to much and think ahead of myself with negative thinkings of making it out of schoolcar and finish 1 year probation..

I can't to get on the road once School Car is over. Always hated being confined to one place.

JMA, is today your first day? I would like to know for those who started today if they can let us know if they have you guys choosing your Divisions or if they are choosing it for you

Yes, today is our first day of class but it's just orientation. We got our passes, too. We get to chose our pay locations. Not sure about our Divisions.

@Lisa, pay location is where you pick up your paycheck until direct deposit gets established. Probably first 2 pay checks or so. Usually a subway terminal closes to your residence.

Yeah. I can't wait to get that out of the way. Don't feel like going back & fourth to the location.

it def do the direct deposit asap, I use to hate going to my pay location for a check ....

JMA, hopefully you get your A division that you want, I know when I went in for T/O we got to choose our division but I think it went by list# and what ever was left couldn't choose

it def do the direct deposit asap, I use to hate going to my pay location for a check ....

JMA, hopefully you get your A division that you want, I know when I went in for T/O we got to choose our division but I think it went by list# and what ever was left couldn't choose

Oh I am. I picked up the sheet today at 180 Livingston after orientation. The guy who hired me messed me up with that. Gonna fill it out when I get home.

I hope so, too. It goes by your list number. I'm picking Flushing-Main Street as my pay location.

Yes. Paycheck pickup is a strong incentive to get direct deposit. Oftentimes the nearest subway terminal to your house isn't anywhere close to where you actually live or your typical commute.

Exactly. That's why I don't feel like doing all of that traveling when I can use that time for something more useful.

when are you vested in the pension in mta? 5 years?

yea I hear that matt, there is no future here at my job...just got to get use to the MTA life...schedule wise and dealing with the Public

Five years for your pension & ten for your health benefits.

This job is a breath of fresh air for me. I'm finally where I want to be.

Same here.

I'm getting a huge pay increase and better benefits.

I just got married back in July and to get this job for me is huge!

More OT for me the better!

I can't to get on the road once School Car is over. Always hated being confined to one place.

Hate to burst your guys' bubbles but...

If you are Tier 6, you are not vested in the pension until 10 years of NYCERS credited service, and the benefit does not become payable until age 63.

If you are Tier 4, then it's 5 years of NYCERS credited service, not payable until age 62.

That's for partial vesting.

Anything less than that amount of service and the cash value of your pension account will be paid out to you upon leaving, with earned interest. If you do not make the minimums for partial vesting, you will be ineligible to collect a pension benefit regardless of age, but you are eligible to have your contributions and interest refunded to you (expect to pay a penalty if you do not roll them into a tax deferred account like an IRA, however).

For full vesting, both Tier 4 and Tier 6 are still 25 years of NYCERS credited service and 55 years of age for eligibility to collect, although there are differences in how the final averages are calculated and what the paycheck deduction to pay for each tier is.

Hate to burst your guys' bubbles but...

If you are Tier 6, you are not vested in the pension until 10 years of NYCERS credited service, and the benefit does not become payable until age 63.

If you are Tier 4, then it's 5 years of NYCERS credited service, not payable until age 62.

That's for partial vesting.

Anything less than that amount of service and the cash value of your pension account will be paid out to you upon leaving, with earned interest. If you do not make the minimums for partial vesting, you will be ineligible to collect a pension benefit regardless of age, but you are eligible to have your contributions and interest refunded to you (expect to pay a penalty if you do not roll them into a tax deferred account like an IRA, however).

For full vesting, both Tier 4 and Tier 6 are still 25 years of NYCERS credited service and 55 years of age for eligibility to collect, although there are differences in how the final averages are calculated and what the paycheck deduction to pay for each tier is.

Thank you. Then I was wrong. My fault.

Thank you. Then I was wrong. My fault.

No problem. Also, I should have highlighted "NYCERS credited service". There's a lag between when you get hired & when you get put in the pension system. Any time you work for TA but aren't contributing pension isn't bad time, but it will create a pension deficit that you can buy back. So someone who is nearing retirement age who hires on with TA to get a second pension by working 10 years, cannot just retire on their 10th anniversary and assume they got credit for all 10 years. They'll have to check with NYCERS who will most likely tell them they have to buy back their first month, where pension deduction probably wasn't being taken out of their check due to them still being put in the system.

If they don't check and just retire, they may have just voided pension benefit eligibility.

This situation described above also applies to time like if an employee is out on workman's comp.

Only reason I say this is because you should try to fix any pension deficit ASAP, as it will avoid a lot of problems when you go to retire. Lots of people pick a retirement date in their mind, go down to NYCERS, find out all is not well, and either have to buy back time or for many of the old timers, NYCERS has to find their pay records to make sure their service time is complete and correct before locking in their pension benefit. Be on top of this stuff, treat it like a bank account, because no one's going to do it for you.

Archived