Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the forum. I took 8094 with a list number of 6421. I took pre employment drug test waiting to hear from medical final processing now, in regards to the job, do conductors work 8 hours a day in the cab? Do they get many breaks including a food break? What do people mean by doing two trips vs three trips? Are some conductors only working a few hours a day and then done?

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the forum. I took 8094 with a list number of 6421. I took pre employment drug test waiting to hear from medical final processing now, in regards to the job, do conductors work 8 hours a day in the cab? Do they get many breaks including a food break? What do people mean by doing two trips vs three trips? Are some conductors only working a few hours a day and then done?

"Do conductors work 8 hours a day in the cab? Do they get many breaks including a food break?"

-Conductors work 8 to 10 hours a day, unless they are delayed due to service disruptions, then they can work more than 10.

-Conductors can also work voluntary overtime up to 14 hours a day, and can also work on one of their 2 days off (also voluntary). They cannot work on both days off.

-A new conductor can work up to 14 hours a day without volunteering, as a conductor without an assignment may be asked to "sit on the board" which means to be available in case you are needed. A conductor "on the board" can sit for the whole day, or they can be asked to pick up work in the middle of their shift. They are paid for every minute they are on the clock, an this can take a conductor up to 14 hours.

-Conductors can work more than 14 hours a day if a state of emergency has been declared.

-Regardless of how much time is worked, you are not in the cab the entire day. There are scheduled breaks. How the breaks work out (how long, when is the lunch break, etc.) depends on the specific run you are working. Lunch is scheduled on every job. On the worst jobs, you can expect to spend 6.5 of 8 hours in the cab. On the better jobs, you will spend far less than that. If you do not have an assignment (such as the board) then you are entitled to a 30 minute lunch between your 3rd and 6th hour which you should coordinate with the Dispatcher at the location you're on the board at.

"2 vs 3 trips"

Depends on the line you are working. A trip is a round trip (both directions) from terminal to terminal and back. On a longer line, such as the F, all crews have 2 trips, some may have 1, or 1.5. On a shorter line like the 7, some crews may have 5 trips, others 4, and still more 3. The number of trips is just a marker for people along that line who talk to each other about jobs on the line, the number of trips alone does not tell you how much work you're doing. On the 7, for example, saying you have 2 trips would be "wow" "great" "lucky you". On the F, saying you have 2 trips means absolutely nothing because pretty much everyone does. It may even get eyerolls from people who don't like working that line. Likewise, trips does not tell you how long you'll be at work or how much money you'll make. There are people who do 2 trips on the F and get paid close to 10 hours, and there are people who do 2 trips on the F and only get paid a little over 8.

"A few hours and then done"

You will work 8 hours a day at minimum. Even if your duties are done for the day (say, you have a 1 tripper, and have finished the trip), you will Work As Assigned (WAA) until 8 hours after your start time at the designated location. The only time you will work less than 8 hours is if your job starts and ends at a different location, then the job *may* have the worked time cut down by the amount of the travel allowance between the 2 locations. For example, conductors who work jobs on the D line that are 1.5 trips generally only work about 6.5 hours per day because the travel allowance back to where they started brings them to 8 hours pay for the day. No job, if you work the full job, pays less than 8 hours for the day.

So what do you do when you are not in the cab and you are working as assigned?

Whatever you are asked to by supervision at that location. For conductors that either means working the platform, helping make sure passengers have detrained from trains that are going to the storage facility, or sitting in the crewroom on standby in the event you are needed. If service is really jacked up and they need a conductor, you can be sent out to make a trip, although it doesn't happen often.

Archived