Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This might be a bit off topic, but could I wear the black nike boots with the uniform or it has to be shoes?

If you are in schoolcar and have not received uniforms/shoes, follow the instructions on the sheet they gave you...

If you have received uniforms/shoes, wear the approved ones...else you run the chance of getting written up...

If you have been told to report in for your start date, and don't have anything, follow the instructions on the reporting instruction sheet...

Blood pressure, EKG, vision test, hearing test, key muscle group strength tests, height, weight, medical interview, expect to have to resolve any issues in your past by getting a note from your doctor that it's fine (meaning have you doctor's contact info on you when you go so that if he needs to fax a "it's OK" note over on your behalf you can reach him). Know what medications you take and indicate them.

Tell the truth but don't exaggerate symptoms. "Do you get headaches" is different from saying "after you stare at a computer screen looking at NYCTransitForums for 12 hours a day, do you have a headache?" Unless a condition is chronic or you had a serious incident in the past with it, the answer is NO.

Make it through that and you do final processing. File review (yes all that paperwork - FILL OUT THE 21 PAGE DOCUMENT BEFORE YOU GO THERE AND KEEP COPIES), fingerprinting, offer of a salary and start date, official swearing in if you accept the job, photo for a TA pass, then you'll get a rule book and reporting instructions for your start date.

And yes it takes all day so bring not just lunch but a good book (or two) or some magazines, don't rely on your phone games since no phone use up there...unless you really like watching new york 1...

Is this that 21 page document that everybody has to fill out and hand in?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/careers/downloads/pdf/db_app_guidelines.pdf

I have heard that advice before about making copies of that booklet.

So is it DCAS that does your background investigation or a combination

of both DCAS and the MTA?

Is this that 21 page document that everybody has to fill out and hand in?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/careers/downloads/pdf/db_app_guidelines.pdf

I have heard that advice before about making copies of that booklet.

So is it DCAS that does your background investigation or a combination

of both DCAS and the MTA?

No...that's not the document. However, those are the instructions for filling out the document, which goes by the same name. They should have given out both (the CPD-B and the CPD-B instructions) after you completed the drug test. There is also a 2 page supplement to the CPD-B that the TA will need you to sign off on authorizing a background check.

But definitely make copies of everything you turn into them. When you sit down with the person from human resources you'd better be able to explain any discrepancies to them and have all supporting documentation if needed or else you will be delayed at best, or rejected at worst.

DCAS does not do a background investigation. DCAS forwards your application and contact information to Transit in eligible list order to fill the amount of applicants Transit requests. Transit (with your required permission) authorizes an independent firm (Yale Associates) to perform a background check on you to verify the authenticity of the statements and representations made in your CPD-B and the 5 page form they gave you to fill out when you went in for the drug test, as well as on your exam application.

Im wondering, what exactly are you suppose to tell Transit if one has a two maybe three year gap over the last ten years working off the books? I think this is going to screw up several applications because lots of people have to have taken jobs off the books at least once, it just isnt an ideal world.

Im wondering, what exactly are you suppose to tell Transit if one has a two maybe three year gap over the last ten years working off the books? I think this is going to screw up several applications because lots of people have to have taken jobs off the books at least once, it just isnt an ideal world.

The advice that I have read on here about that issue is to not list any

off the books jobs, instead put down how you supported yourself, ex:

spouse, parents or living off your savings.

Now if the person has worked the last 10 yrs off the books then I

could see it being a problem. Not for nothing though, they don't ask

for your tax returns....

Don't list any off the books jobs. If there is a gap on the 5 page form, just mark it as "unemployed".

On the CPD-B, only mark the period as unemployed if it is 4 months or greater (I think that's the minimum size but don't go by what I say - read and follow the directions, they will explain it to you). In the comments, you will have to explain why you were unemployed ("previous seasonal job ended" or "laid off due to budget cuts", for example), and state how you supported yourself during the period in question.

"Lived off savings", "lived off parental support", "lived off unemployment insurance" etc. are all valid reasons...and if you supported yourself with off the books employment...you "lived off savings with help from relatives" got it? good

No...that's not the document. However, those are the instructions for filling out the document, which goes by the same name. They should have given out both (the CPD-B and the CPD-B instructions) after you completed the drug test. There is also a 2 page supplement to the CPD-B that the TA will need you to sign off on authorizing a background check.

But definitely make copies of everything you turn into them. When you sit down with the person from human resources you'd better be able to explain any discrepancies to them and have all supporting documentation if needed or else you will be delayed at best, or rejected at worst.

DCAS does not do a background investigation. DCAS forwards your application and contact information to Transit in eligible list order to fill the amount of applicants Transit requests. Transit (with your required permission) authorizes an independent firm (Yale Associates) to perform a background check on you to verify the authenticity of the statements and representations made in your CPD-B and the 5 page form they gave you to fill out when you went in for the drug test, as well as on your exam application.

Uggh gives me flashbacks with all that stuff i had to fill out...

Don't list any off the books jobs. If there is a gap on the 5 page form, just mark it as "unemployed".

On the CPD-B, only mark the period as unemployed if it is 4 months or greater (I think that's the minimum size but don't go by what I say - read and follow the directions, they will explain it to you). In the comments, you will have to explain why you were unemployed ("previous seasonal job ended" or "laid off due to budget cuts", for example), and state how you supported yourself during the period in question.

"Lived off savings", "lived off parental support", "lived off unemployment insurance" etc. are all valid reasons...and if you supported yourself with off the books employment...you "lived off savings with help from relatives" got it? good

Thank you for the explanation Locomontion and SubwayGuy. In my case I had to support myself with Ebay sales plus I sold comics, sports cards and vintage gaming stuff out on the street on a table like a vagabond and I did computer repair, business wasnt good at whatsoever lol. Im just going to have to use another excuse if and when I recieve a letter, because I didnt pay any taxes on this money. I'm glad the application actually has some onstrictions or explanation.

Yeah definitely call DCAS ASAP to give them that change of address. MTA only sends out letters initially. You have 4 years to respond to the job offer, but you don't want to lose seniority to people who scored lower than you because you didn't have a updated address. And in the world of RTO seniority is king. As a new C/R you will be extra extra for sometime to come, it'll be a while before you can pick a job.

Can someone please give me the number to DCAS so I can put in that change of address notice ASAP? Thanks everyone who replied with valid information. I was really excited to see the list of names on page 1 of this Thread and to see my name up there on that list. :P It feels so great to know I'll be called up soon. :o It'll be sad to leave my current temp job @ DOE-Food Services, but I need the benefits, once MTA gets to my number.

My letter says Pre-interview and Medical examination including hearing test. I have to go Thursday 25th. So, I have read on here that the first call is for paperwork and drug test. Is this what the letter means? Or am I getting my full medical done on Thursday?

The letter you get in the mail is not going to be immediately clear: since you are going to only get one letter, it will say drug test AND medical...but in reality if it's your first visit to HR, you are only getting your drug test and doing some paperwork if it's your first day, and you'll be out in less than 3 hours (unless it takes you a really long time to produce a sample).

For your second visit (if you've passed the drug test), they will CALL you - so put a number you answer down during your first visit when they ask you for your phone number. The second visit, they will tell you bring lunch...there they will do medical, more paperwork, and final processing (assuming you get the job).

So if you're going there for the very first time, expect paperwork and drug test ONLY.

This may have already been asked, but I'm in a rush and haven't run a search:

Is this "business casual attire" jazz necessary for the initial trip to 180 Livingston? I'm trying avoid an unnecessary trip back home in Connecticut to pick up a pair of khakis just so that I can turn in a few pieces of paper and piss in a cup.

This may have already been asked, but I'm in a rush and haven't run a search:

Is this "business casual attire" jazz necessary for the initial trip to 180 Livingston? I'm trying avoid an unnecessary trip back home in Connecticut to pick up a pair of khakis just so that I can turn in a few pieces of paper and piss in a cup.

yeah, but just throw the khakis in a travel bag and you'll be OK...it's not important if they're perfectly ironed and straight, just that you have something halfway decent on. they may make a comment if you're not dressed right, so not worth taking any chances. as always, depends on who's sitting on the other side of the tables from you.

you may see some dressed down and some in uniform...but remember they may be applying for different titles or already have a TA job and be coming down for a medical.

yeah, but just throw the khakis in a travel bag and you'll be OK...it's not important if they're perfectly ironed and straight, just that you have something halfway decent on. they may make a comment if you're not dressed right, so not worth taking any chances. as always, depends on who's sitting on the other side of the tables from you.

you may see some dressed down and some in uniform...but remember they may be applying for different titles or already have a TA job and be coming down for a medical.

Wow they are changing things up i see with the way you "look" before you even get the Job..

Interesting....

Archived