Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I can understand that because there are a lot of different fleets running in the B Division and many more routes also. They are in all the borough and all long trips too! Some one had said that it's a 3pm to 1 am situation each work day.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Yes I read that as well but I also know someone that did the training ( 2015) before and they said it's 3pm-11pm so I don't know about the 1am part. It sounds strange lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I read that as well but I also know someone that did the training ( 2015) before and they said it's 3pm-11pm so I don't know about the 1am part. It sounds strange lol...

Didn't you say you received your letter for preemp? Did you go already?

School car, at least for the A Division is 6 weeks, including the midterm, yard practical, posting and then the final exam. It goes quick. i believe the B Division gets an extra week or 2 because they have more equipment to learn but its no longer than 8 weeks total for them.

As for your hours, this will vary but it will always be a straight 8hr block, assuming you dont need any extra tutoring. The majority of my training was on the PM tour (3pm-11pm) with the exception of the 2 weeks where we had fire safety and communications/ RCC tour day. Some classes will get a 7pm-3pm schedule. Either way, youll experience working PMs and AMs. no Midnights thought.

Question? Does the MTA doctor handle the EKG? Or are you responsible for it with your doctor? Just wondering

If your EKG is off for example your heart beat per minute is over 100 you would have your doctor clear you. Transit is going to want you to have a echo and stress test done just to make sure that you don't have any heart problems. The echo and stress test can be done in one day and, usually takes a few days for the results to come back. You would have to go to a cardiologist to do the echo and stress test. That's what the MTA doctors are going to ask for. They want to make sure you don't drop dead from climbing on and off trains and walking. which during school car you will be doing a lot. 

Hi everyone, I need some feedback from everyone and I would appreciate it a lot. I've been in the Dept of ed for almost a decade, got promoted recently, i work 181 days a year, two months off paid, I start at 730 & my day ends at 1420hrs, etc life of a teacher. I took this exam almost a decade ago when I was 23 thinking I would get a call back before the age of 26. I'm 33 now almost a decade into my dept of ed career, I ask everyone here in complete honesty, is it worth me leaving my job for this? Thank you everyone in advance...btw awesome advice here on this forum

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tenure is a beautiful thing.

The wonderful thing about being in k-12 education (leaving aside working with the kids, which is very important but not something everyone enjoys) is that your schedule is fixed years in advance. You know your days off, you'll have summer off, school holidays off, weekends off, and you don't work nights or weekends.

A lot of people enjoy working at Transit but it's a schedule more similar to hospital workers - the place must be staffed 24/7. You definitely won't have summers off, you'll probably work some night shifts and you may have a lot of trouble getting vacations at desirable times of the year until you build up a lot of seniority.

If you find some enjoyment in the work you do than it probably doesn't make sense to leave Ed, given that income and benefits are similar in both areas but you'll likely work much longer hours and worse shifts at Transit.

Conductor's top pay as of Feb 2018 is $31.635/hr. Starting pay is $22.1445/hr.

Plenty of overtime available.

Free travel to NYCT and LIRR or MNRR.

Some Tier 4 info if it applies.

https://www.nycers.org/brochure/calculating-your-retirement-benefit-tier-4-transit-25-yearage-55-plan

Some tier 6 info if it applies.

https://www.nycers.org/brochure/transit-operating-force-25-yearage-55-retirement-plan-tier-6-members

Every tour is a new adventure.

The downsides would be:

1)the rough schedule in RTO until some time is accrued in title.

2)Interacting with the occasional negative/hostile people, public, co-workers, superiors

3)Work hours based upon needs of the service.

4)Abbreviated time available for your family.

5)Every tour is a new obstacle.

Most all new conductors are extra extra meaning you don't have a set schedule you can be sent anywhere in the division. It's like your a substitute conductor. You'll cover for people who normally have a schedule. It's fun at times because your somewhere different everyday but at times you want a set schedule and work with the same train operator. Being extra extra you have to learn different personalities everyday. No offense but some train operators can be a**holes. So you have to learn dealing with that. I've been out since early August and, I like the job. It's always a adventure but the one thing everybody says to me. "Don't stay a conductor your whole life. " I see what they mean. You can always move up in transit that's a big plus. You don't have to be stagnated.

Conductor's top pay as of Feb 2018 is $31.635/hr. Starting pay is $22.1445/hr.

Plenty of overtime available.

Free travel to NYCT and LIRR or MNRR.

Some Tier 4 info if it applies.

https://www.nycers.org/brochure/calculating-your-retirement-benefit-tier-4-transit-25-yearage-55-plan

Some tier 6 info if it applies.

https://www.nycers.org/brochure/transit-operating-force-25-yearage-55-retirement-plan-tier-6-members

Every tour is a new adventure.

The downsides would be:

1)the rough schedule in RTO until some time is accrued in title.

2)Interacting with the occasional negative/hostile people, public, co-workers, superiors

3)Work hours based upon needs of the service.

4)Abbreviated time available for your family.

5)Every tour is a new obstacle.

As far as starting pay @ $22.14 is this now or 2018? Just wondering because I see it @ a lower rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived