Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

guess i wont be building any seniority yet

not true...seniority is system wide in a title...you'll have seniority over the B Div conductors forever. if say a year from now a number of C/Rs bolt over to the B Div for some reason and bounce all the extra people to XX, you will have the seniority to not only remain in the A but also pick an Extra list, RDO relief, or Vacation Relief job potentially.

Also if at some later point those B Div C/Rs transfer over to the A, you'll stilll have seniority over them.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't get to choose which Division to initially train in?

Sometimes. If they offer you a choice, you'll pick based on seniority within the induction date class. You go where you pick (or where you are told to). If no choice, you go where you go.

And do you get to train in both divisions?

No, at least not initially. When you get enough seniority in title to pick the other division (you'll have to submit a G2 - paperwork that will be explained to you - to transfer) you will get trained for that division.

Hopefully by the time they get to my number it will be for A Div, the only letters I'm closest to are the B/D and A. Everything else is sooo far. The 1, 2 and 4 are my "home lines".

good luck...no guarantees...a job is a job...

Schoolcar training-when they finally have you scheduled in for training, are these classes during the morning, afternoon or evening hours? Only reason I'm asking because I attend college & would like to know how I should schedule my college courses when I'm finally get notified & complete all paperwork to start.

Schoolcar training-when they finally have you scheduled in for training, are these classes during the morning, afternoon or evening hours? Only reason I'm asking because I attend college & would like to know how I should schedule my college courses when I'm finally get notified & complete all paperwork to start.

The tours can vary. Some classes may either be regularly AM or PM, and even if, for example, your class is PM, you may have some AM reports for some training days which they need more daylight for. It'd be very difficult if not impossible to do both schoolcar and take college courses on top of that. If you are called and want to take it at that point (the day they ask you to come in), you won't be able to attend school at the same time nor for the time that you are XX List. You should either wait on your coursework until you have a picked job or restore your name to the list at a later date. **Not sure how you go about doing that exactly, some others on here might be able to explain.

Rest assured you cannot take college courses and work for TA at the same time. When you start you will have to go anywhere and everywhere within your division and "but I have class" is not a valid reason.

They expect that you will be available to work 5 days a week for a typical shift of 8 hours a day, but up to as many as 16.

You can't do that and go to college.

Buffer gave you some good advice...you can either decline the position at TA, finish your degree, and then follow the instructions on your letter to restore your name to the list (and take the position then)...

...or you can opt out of college course work (assuming the semester hasn't started you should be able to get most if not all of your money back provided you have paid), take the position, and finish your degree at a later date when you have enough seniority in title to pick a regular job and can schedule school around it (disclaimer: If you do this, TA's needs will still come first in their eyes - ie if your shift is supposed to end at 7pm and your class starts at 8, and your train gets delayed...you are going to miss class.)

The tours can vary. Some classes may either be regularly AM or PM, and even if, for example, your class is PM, you may have some AM reports for some training days which they need more daylight for. It'd be very difficult if not impossible to do both schoolcar and take college courses on top of that. If you are called and want to take it at that point (the day they ask you to come in), you won't be able to attend school at the same time nor for the time that you are XX List. You should either wait on your coursework until you have a picked job or restore your name to the list at a later date. **Not sure how you go about doing that exactly, some others on here might be able to explain.

Well I'm pretty much screwed. I haven't started classes as yet, not til this Thursday but they're pretty much set & paid in full for. Dammit I have to make a choice of put'n a career on hold for MTA. The sacrifices we make in life...smh.B) My list number hasn't been notified as yet (#623), so I have some time. I need to check with my schl on get'n a refund mid semester when MTA finally notifies me. Thanks for the 411 guys! :tup:

I was in the same situation as you since I already registered for classes and was almost 2 weeks away from starting school until I got my letter on August 17 (316). At first I was going to decline the C/R job, but a lot of my friends persuaded me to take the job and drop my classes. Now as for going back to school, it will take me longer for me to graduate...

I was in the same situation as you since I already registered for classes and was almost 2 weeks away from starting school until I got my letter on August 17 (316). At first I was going to decline the C/R job, but a lot of my friends persuaded me to take the job and drop my classes. Now as for going back to school, it will take me longer for me to graduate...

At least you had time, 2 weeks before school starting to make that big decision, I only have a couple of days.:eek: Besides I'm not young, so time is of the essence here.B) And I still haven't received a letter as yet. However, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one making that sacrifice to postpone a degree to work for MTA. I agree it's gonna take longer to graduate but I need a means to survive in NYC-living here ain't cheap, those years are over! Well, the best of luck to you PATCOman & thanks for yur honest reply. :tup::tup:

Well I'm pretty much screwed. I haven't started classes as yet, not til this Thursday but they're pretty much set & paid in full for. Dammit I have to make a choice of put'n a career on hold for MTA. The sacrifices we make in life...smh.B) My list number hasn't been notified as yet (#623), so I have some time. I need to check with my schl on get'n a refund mid semester when MTA finally notifies me. Thanks for the 411 guys! :tup:

At least you had time, 2 weeks before school starting to make that big decision, I only have a couple of days.:eek: Besides I'm not young, so time is of the essence here.B) And I still haven't received a letter as yet. However, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one making that sacrifice to postpone a degree to work for MTA. I agree it's gonna take longer to graduate but I need a means to survive in NYC-living here ain't cheap, those years are over! Well, the best of luck to you PATCOman & thanks for yur honest reply. :tup::tup:

You should be able to get through this fall semester before you get a letter in the mail. I believe the folks in the 400s have not received their letters yet and you being in the 600s, it can take some time til you receive a letter and go through the hiring process.

I'm in the same situation as you and PATCOman. I had to take a temporary leave from school to start with the MTA. It was a decision I made long ago that if the MTA finally contacted me for the C/R job, I would take it and finish school at a later date if need be. It's to get my foot in the door with the MTA.

So it is all up to you.

Hopefully by next year in the fall I can go back to taking some classes.

It's tough these days so one has to take the better opportunities and make sacrifices where needed.

Forget school and take the job. There are no jobs out there even if you have a degree (unless were talking about healthcare degrees). Trust me, I know first hand. I graduated 2 years ago and have yet to find an actual full time job.

Yes, I'll be attending school for a Nursing degree, but I'm only in the beginning stages before I get accepted into Nursing school. So I'm sure I can still have time to go back to school for that degree. I've been working temp jobs for years & it's not get'n easy to find anything permanent with full benefits. So I actually need this job now more than ever before returning to school.

When i started transit i was in college and i was able to complete. But that was stations, schedules are more set, and it was still kind of though. In stations you can pick the first time a pick comes around.

In RTO, I don't see it happening. You don't have a set schedule. You can start at 8am and come out by 6pm.

In RTO that's just not possible. Stations, like others have said, is more set.

In RTO you will only know your days off a few days in advance...they can change every week. You'll know a 6-10 hour window that all your jobs for that week will start in also. It too can change from week to week. In no case will you know when your jobs end.

You won't know the specifics of what time your job starts, where you have to go, and what time your job is ***supposed*** to end until two days before (note asterisks...if there are service disruptions it won't end when it's supposed to).

Very hard to coordinate college classes like that.

Thanks! Seems some of the guys on here feel like it's nearly impossible to get a college degree while working with MTA. Granted I'll be facing a lot of scheduling issues but there is always a way.

He wasnt clear on the Department now.

I seen people who tried to juggle college and RTO as extra extra, it didnt work out well. One of my classmates had to leave JUST because of this. RTO will give you a choice,them or your other job dont believe the hype for other Depratments.

In Schoolcar it could be possible but dont think as extra extra in RTO its going to be.

Archived