Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

So I just got back from 180 Livingston and am now working on the 21 page packet. I'm so glad the day is over. I live in NJ so I had to wake up at 5 AM and felt sh*tty the entire day since I only got a few hours of sleep. If I get called for the medical, I guess I will be doing it all over again....

Some friendly advice for everyone who has not gone yet:

1. Drink plenty of fluids before you go so that you can get the drug test over with ASAP

2. Write your phone number on top of the pre-employment application they sent you in the mail (not the 21 page booklet). At the last minute, they tell everyone to write their number on it so you have to start digging for a pen while your in line.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. Write your phone number on top of the pre-employment application they sent you in the mail (not the 21 page booklet). At the last minute, they tell everyone to write their number on it so you have to start digging for a pen while your in line.

Ha ha they did that to Us as well..

It was classic fishing for a pen while on line...

I moved up one in senority because of it...

That doesn't make any sense to me, then again this is the MTA that we

are dealing with. What happens if the employer who you worked for

is no longer in business? how can they verify that you ever worked there

and for how long.

Tax records, or SSA records. Leave least known phone number if company is out of biz.

latino J E T S fan is right that they can't say the reason why you were

fired. All that they can say if you ever worked there and for how long.

Almost all companies will not disclose the circumstances of the end of your employment with them because it can come back to them in a lawsuit if you don't get the position. However, be honest and tell the truth and it can't hurt you. Companies officially cannot confirm, but if you worked for a small company, got fired, and the owner who's number you left has loose lips...they sink ships and it could be your ship if you didn't disclose it...

But if they aren't going to hold it against you then by all means disclose

it. The worst thing that anyone of us can do on our paperwork is LIE.

Exactly. And make sure everything you submit agrees with everything else. Keep copies for your reference if not sure, and be able to explain ANY AND ALL discrepancies.

I don't know the specifics of the background check they do since there are all different types of background checks. There are basic, and then you have really in-depth ones (think CIA and FBI background checks). The only thing I could think of is that if you collected uninsurance benefits, they could find it and possibly determine that you were fired for that reason, since you generally can't collect if you resign. Call up Livingston St. tomorrow and ask what you should do.

Unemployment can be collected if someone is laid off, which is due in no part to performance.

Just tell the truth and be able to explain everything and you'll be fine. Don't try to be smarter than the paperwork or the search.

There's a lot of people out there who do it regularly and with families. That's just how determine some are.

RTO=Rapid Transit Operations

You are talking about Conductor right? Thats part of RTO it was mentioned in the last page when another poster asked.

You said you knew of people who did it and i asked you if they work down here thats it.

Im not getting on your case, im just pulling yer coat nothing more nothing less..

Not once did I say I knew someone in MTA that successfully got their college degree. Most likely u misread the thread & assume it was me when it was someone else who said they knew people. Anyways besides that if u wanna pull my coat do so in person, so I can put the name to the face! :P I'm not down with cyber punking! ;) I'm just here for as much info as possible before they get to my number like most at one time or another. :P :tup:

Not once did I say I knew someone in MTA that successfully got their college degree. Most likely u misread the thread & assume it was me when it was someone else who said they knew people. Anyways besides that if u wanna pull my coat do so in person, so I can put the name to the face! :P I'm not down with cyber punking! ;) I'm just here for as much info as possible before they get to my number like most at one time or another. :P :tup:

No need to for that, I dont hide behind keyboards...

Be more than glad to let me know when you get Hired, if you are in the B Div you will prob run across me..

Thanks bro!

Congrats and welcome aboard. I see you're starting at a young age means you'll have to do 35 years down here before you gain the age to retire (ouch) with our tier4 25/55 pension. I started young too at 25 and have to do 30 before I can go. But words of advice don't call out sick until September 27th 2012 unless you're really sick while being a probie. And invest your money ASAP in the 401k/457b, your pension alone won't be enough after retirement and social security ain't promised. Keep a clean disciplinary and sick record and you'll have a long and prosperous career down here.:tup:

Yes I did. I had my medical earlier in the week and was hired. I begin training Sept. 26th.

Too bad we wont cross paths Brother im on the "Other Side of the Tracks"...

Hopefully they will take you down to the Ivory Tower on 54th Street.

Listen,Learn follow thier Rules and you wont go wrong.

Good Luck!

Yes I did. I had my medical earlier in the week and was hired. I begin training Sept. 26th.

Wow mad kudos to you. Maybe once in a while you can post some of the things that go on during your training, you know like stuff to watch out for, things the instructors look for and stress and maybe a blooper or two. Im sure this will help alot of people. Again good luck and may you have a happy prosperous career, helping run Transit is a good job, you can be proud of what you do wherever you go.

congratulations! Do you know the size of the class.

Thanks! I do not know the size of the class yet.

Fantastic! Congratulations and all the best!

Thank you!

congrats!!!

Thanks!

Congrats and welcome aboard. I see you're starting at a young age means you'll have to do 35 years down here before you gain the age to retire (ouch) with our tier4 25/55 pension. I started young too at 25 and have to do 30 before I can go. But words of advice don't call out sick until September 27th 2012 unless you're really sick while being a probie. And invest your money ASAP in the 401k/457b, your pension alone won't be enough after retirement and social security ain't promised. Keep a clean disciplinary and sick record and you'll have a long and prosperous career down here.:tup:
Thank you sir. Will definitely keep those tips in mind.

Too bad we wont cross paths Brother im on the "Other Side of the Tracks"...

Hopefully they will take you down to the Ivory Tower on 54th Street.

Listen,Learn follow thier Rules and you wont go wrong.

Good Luck!

Thanks brother!

Wow mad kudos to you. Maybe once in a while you can post some of the things that go on during your training, you know like stuff to watch out for, things the instructors look for and stress and maybe a blooper or two. Im sure this will help alot of people. Again good luck and may you have a happy prosperous career, helping run Transit is a good job, you can be proud of what you do wherever you go.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

Congratulations on getting hired Pablo. Remember the golden rules for probies:

1. No sick time dring probation (unless absolutely necessary)

2. No overtime. None. Nada. Zip. (unless its mandatory or out of your control, like your train breaks down).

3. Maintain a good work and attendnace record even after your probation is done. This way you won't get turned down for promotions down the road.

Archived