Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

May I ask what's wrong with doing overtime your first year?

From what I've read here it's to keep your name clear should you make a mistake or something go wrong being the first question the TA is going to ask you is, "Well...Why were you working on your day off?" it's just a way to avoid the BS that could cost you your career. Hope that helps!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
May I ask what's wrong with doing overtime your first year?

Voluntary overtime you should not do. Mandatory overtime (train arrives at terminal late, something blows up and you have to work late...dispatcher needs a crew and you're the only one around and you're available, or you pick up a job on a day you don't have one scheduled) you have to do it.

The reason for not doing voluntary overtime is simple. Law of averages. The more you work, the more likely an incident could happen on your train. After probation everything becomes less serious.

Exactly, you want the least amount of exposure to the job and customers as possible so you don't make mistakes do to fatigue, and you don;t want custie complaints because they're in the mood to be piss asses that day because the train may have been 2 minutes late or so. So only take late clears, and turn down OT if offered to you Pablo.

If something goes wrong while working overtime, I assume it has to be determined to be your own fault, or does it almost always fall under "blame the new guy" territory?

Im suddenly thinking, hhhhmm it must get somewhat depressing working down on the subway for so many years. I mean just being around so much metal, dirt and noise has to get to you sometimes. Its kinda like being in the Bronx everyday, it's so dirty, industrial looking and ugly as sin I can barely stand being there for too long and most of the people reflect that. Most of the city is this way including where I live, but Bronx is a different beast.

If something goes wrong while working overtime, I assume it has to be determined to be your own fault, or does it almost always fall under "blame the new guy" territory?

Im suddenly thinking, hhhhmm it must get somewhat depressing working down on the subway for so many years. I mean just being around so much metal, dirt and noise has to get to you sometimes. Its kinda like being in the Bronx everyday, it's so dirty, industrial looking and ugly as sin I can barely stand being there for too long and most of the people reflect that. Most of the city is this way including where I live, but Bronx is a different beast.

Even if it's NOT your fault, you may have to explain yourself.

Better to save yourself the drama, it's not worth it.

Although matters like this might possibly vary from person to person, since some of you have already gone through/going through processing, has anyone been asked to bring in any out of the ordinary documentation? Such as apartment leases, social security employment history letters, tax returns for previous years. Has anyone found out from a previous employer that Transit called asking about you? Aside from Transit's own papers, SS card, birth certificate, ID card, maybe a passport or other forms of identifying yourself, I have yet to hear anyone needing such documentation, but I dont know for sure.

One other thing, the 21 page application booklet asks for your work history since high school, but I always keep hearing they just want to know about the last ten years. I suppose one should try to list job history since high school in case you are asked how you supported yourself, but is it really necessary? For example, if a person is 50 years old and they list the last 20 years of employment, will Transit actually want to know how you supported yourself say when you were 25? The work history thing just seems kinda odd to me.

Any updates on what list number has recently been called for Medical/Final Processing...

Mike, you and I are in the same boat. They are up to 299 but have not established an October class which I am hoping they will. Until then they will not disclose anymore info. I have my fingers and toes crossed they will establish a class soon.

Hey no fair generalizing the BX like that. All boroughs have the good and bad but to say that it is a different beast is so untrue. Try an area such as Throggs Neck, Pelham Bay or Country Club where you have working class families that take pride in their neighborhoods. I think where you work or live is what you make it. I am currently a manager in corporate America and ready to hang up my suit for an MTA uniform. Grass isn't greener in the other side or any otherf borough.:P

Mike, you and I are in the same boat. They are up to 299 but have not established an October class which I am hoping they will. Until then they will not disclose anymore info. I have my fingers and toes crossed they will establish a class soon.

What's your list number if you don't mind me asking...

Hey no fair generalizing the BX like that. All boroughs have the good and bad but to say that it is a different beast is so untrue. Try an area such as Throggs Neck, Pelham Bay or Country Club where you have working class families that take pride in their neighborhoods. I think where you work or live is what you make it. I am currently a manager in corporate America and ready to hang up my suit for an MTA uniform. Grass isn't greener in the other side or any otherf borough.:P

Why yes your right those are pretty nice places indeed, Ive been and stayed all over those parts. Clean and quiet with people that take pride in their neighborhoods so their property value doesnt plummet. I was really reffering to BX areas that border with manhattan. To be honest I dont even consider the places you outline to be part of the bronx, although technically they are. You ask someone in Throggs Neck where they live and they say "I live in throggs neck" you dont ever hear em say "yeah im from the boogie down Bronx". Anyhow lets not further deviate this thread from its main purpose.

Why yes your right those are pretty nice places indeed, Ive been and stayed all over those parts. Clean and quiet with people that take pride in their neighborhoods so their property value doesnt plummet. I was really reffering to BX areas that border with manhattan. To be honest I dont even consider the places you outline to be part of the bronx, although technically they are. You ask someone in Throggs Neck where they live and they say "I live in throggs neck" you dont ever hear em say "yeah im from the boogie down Bronx". Anyhow lets not further deviate this thread from its main purpose.

Well thanx for shitting all over the Bronx man good job. Just because you don't consider certain areas to be part of it don't really matter because they are. Basically the entire eastern Bronx is majority populated by single family homes in middle class neighborhoods. And it contains Parkchester and Co op city which are both full of TA workers and other middle class working famailies. And lets not forget about Riverdale, which is one of the richest areas in the city and has mansions. I live in the North East section bordering Westchester and my area is full of home owners who take pride in there property. And also those areas you speak of in the Bronx are being rapidly gentrified, and new condos are popping up everyday. Soon it will be to expensive for you to live there like downtown Brooklyn. I understand your statement about working with TA but your Bronx comments where completely unnecessary :P. Every borough has good and bad parts. Your generalization would be like me saying every neighborhood in Brooklyn is like Brownsville or Bedstuy. But you have people living in Carroll Gardens and Williamsburg, which I could say I don't consider being Brooklyn and you won't hear any of them Calling there block do or die or calling it crooklyn.

Well thanx for shitting all over the Bronx man good job. Just because you don't consider certain areas to be part of it don't really matter because they are. Basically the entire eastern Bronx is majority populated by single family homes in middle class neighborhoods. And it contains Parkchester and Co op city which are both full of TA workers and other middle class working famailies. And lets not forget about Riverdale, which is one of the richest areas in the city and has mansions. I live in the North East section bordering Westchester and my area is full of home owners who take pride in there property. And also those areas you speak of in the Bronx are being rapidly gentrified, and new condos are popping up everyday. Soon it will be to expensive for you to live there like downtown Brooklyn. I understand your statement about working with TA but your Bronx comments where completely unnecessary :P. Every borough has good and bad parts. Your generalization would be like me saying every neighborhood in Brooklyn is like Brownsville or Bedstuy. But you have people living in Carroll Gardens and Williamsburg, which I could say I don't consider being Brooklyn and you won't hear any of them Calling there block do or die or calling it crooklyn.

Will I dont know if I should agree with you or disagree with you, I mean that last statement you made about Brooklyn pretty much sums up my point. On another note, Ive been all over Riverdale, since I live very nearby. Its an extremely boring place, many of its residents will tell you that. Its like a suburb within a city. Its just a couple of streets with multi million dollar mansions, the rest of it although very quiet is comparable to any mid level neighborhood in the city, 5-6 story buildings and a couple brownstones here and there and not a dam thing to do but stay home and look through a telescope. Would I live there, I wouldnt mind but its not my preference, plus its one of those places I like to call "not legitimately upscale" one minute your there, the next minute you might get robbed in Kingsbridge.

During the initial pre-employment, I was told that I had to bring in a letter of support during a period when I was going to college, but unemployed at the time. Does the letter of support have to be written by me stating that I received help from my family or does it have to be written by the family member who provided the support? Or both?

During the initial pre-employment, I was told that I had to bring in a letter of support during a period when I was going to college, but unemployed at the time. Does the letter of support have to be written by me stating that I received help from my family or does it have to be written by the family member who provided the support? Or both?

Letter of Support has to be written & signed, sometimes notarized, by the family member who supported you during duration of unemployment.

Gotta agree with you there, especially with our numbers being so close. I still will be weighing my pros and cons up until I get the phone call....

Your waiting because they need classes to finish so the TSS's can be free to handle a new class of 20 split in 2. You guys need to relax. After you get called its hit the books time and pay attention because theres no room for error. Yes its great and fun and all that pretty stuff.

Letter of Support has to be written & signed, sometimes notarized, by the family member who supported you during duration of unemployment.

First time that I heard of that, very interesting. What if you lived

off your savings while you were unemployed for a few months and

you were "in between jobs?" ......Do they ask you to prove that?

and if so how?:confused:

Archived