Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

During the initial pre-employment, I was told that I had to bring in a letter of support during a period when I was going to college, but unemployed at the time. Does the letter of support have to be written by me stating that I received help from my family or does it have to be written by the family member who provided the support? Or both?

Wow that's very odd and definitely raises a few eyebrows. I'm no expert but I gauge that letter must be written as if it's the parent speaking and stating he/she/they supported you at the time. Did you write down you were receiving support from you parents during college? or did you write down that during college you were unemployed. This might have come from how you answered the question, or maybe your application was received and processed by some miserable clown. Never heard of this happening to anyone yet, but it sure seems that Transit wants to know exactly what you/anyone were doing at all times. Well hey get that letter done it shouldn't be a big deal, maybe a paragraph or so and get it out the way. I wouldn't notarize it unless you were asked to do so, but if it isn't a big deal then it couldn't hurt to bring two versions, notarized/plain.

Nobody ever told me I had to have a notarized letter of support. WHo said this? They just had me write "supported by parents" on top of my application and that was it.

They asked you to write down "supported by parents"? You were asked to do so because you listed as unemployed for some period of time? Or did you put "supported by parents" for the time you were unemployed and they still asked you to put it again on top of the application? And what do you mean on top of the application? is there some blank spot for extra comments or something? You actually would know some of this stuff now, you did it. How exactly did you explain or list your time unemployed Donald?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your waiting because they need classes to finish so the TSS's can be free to handle a new class of 20 split in 2. You guys need to relax. After you get called its hit the books time and pay attention because theres no room for error. Yes its great and fun and all that pretty stuff.

Yeah...there is a real shortage of schoolcar TSS's right now and a lot of classes going on. Train operator class either just started or will very soon. A C/R class just finished, also, so they're getting some people back.

First time that I heard of that, very interesting. What if you lived

off your savings while you were unemployed for a few months and

you were "in between jobs?" ......Do they ask you to prove that?

and if so how?:confused:

They don't always ask to get things proven. It's up to their judgment. All "part of the process". They won't ask you to prove lived off savings, because the only one who can prove that is you. But if you lived off a family member's support they could ask that.

Perhaps he was asked to do that because the time of unemployment was of a certain size, I can't speculate on it, but it shouldn't be hard to get a note notarized from a relative (and do get it notarized, don't take chances...every day you wait you are losing seniority and pension benefits).

Nobody ever told me I had to have a notarized letter of support. WHo said this? They just had me write "supported by parents" on top of my application and that was it.

You don't need it unless they specifically ask for it special. Otherwise, just fill out the application truthfully according to the directions, and assume you're good, unless they tell you otherwise. Then do what they tell you to satisfy their request.

Wow that's very odd and definitely raises a few eyebrows. I'm no expert but I gauge that letter must be written as if it's the parent speaking and stating he/she/they supported you at the time. Did you write down you were receiving support from you parents during college? or did you write down that during college you were unemployed. This might have come from how you answered the question, or maybe your application was received and processed by some miserable clown. Never heard of this happening to anyone yet, but it sure seems that Transit wants to know exactly what you/anyone were doing at all times. Well hey get that letter done it shouldn't be a big deal, maybe a paragraph or so and get it out the way. I wouldn't notarize it unless you were asked to do so, but if it isn't a big deal then it couldn't hurt to bring two versions, notarized/plain.

Getting it notarized covers all bases. Make a copy to keep for yourself. Give them the original.

They asked you to write down "supported by parents"? You were asked to do so because you listed as unemployed for some period of time? Or did you put "supported by parents" for the time you were unemployed and they still asked you to put it again on top of the application? And what do you mean on top of the application? is there some blank spot for extra comments or something? You actually would know some of this stuff now, you did it. How exactly did you explain or list your time unemployed Donald?

The form requires applicants to state how they supported themselves during periods of unemployment. The form also contains the necessary space to include all of the required information. They have the option to ask for further proof to support the claim, in his case, that he was "supported by relatives."

It's not a big deal, and don't take it so serious...just go through the process as fast as you can giving them what they want, and don't get flustered and taking things personal. The better you are at taking that advice the sooner you'll get hired, list number notwithstanding.

They just had me write it on top of the pager in the blank space. They asked me what I was doing during the time I listed as unemployed, and I said that I was going to high school and then college. I'm 23 so I listed all of my time going back to when I was 13 since they asked for 10 years. So I had 5 years or so as unempployed time lsited.

on my own!

Training has ended and we are now on the road. It has been a good experience and school car made it all happen. Good luck to those new conductor recruits, study a lot and keep practicing ta procedures.

Congrats! I start my training class on 9/26 for Conductor. How long before they tell you what division you're headed to?

on my own!

Training has ended and we are now on the road. It has been a good experience and school car made it all happen. Good luck to those new conductor recruits, study a lot and keep practicing ta procedures.

How do you like it? What are your challenges? Thanks for the tips. Congratulations and good luck in all your travels.

So for my fellow seasoned Conductors, can you break down to me what a basic day in the life of a conductor is like. Challenges, things to avoid, things that make it worth while (I know the paycheck helps). Any input would be much appreciated as I am very curious...:tup:

So for my fellow seasoned Conductors, can you break down to me what a basic day in the life of a conductor is like. Challenges, things to avoid, things that make it worth while (I know the paycheck helps). Any input would be much appreciated as I am very curious...:tup:

Make sure you have an INDICATION BOARD in front of you before you OPEN and DON'T OPEN ON THE WRONG SIDE....THE SIDE WITH NO PLATFORM....

Anyone know on how SIR C/R or T/O get hired?,,,,I thought they got hired by NYCTA & was able to pick.....

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but since they are a different division like MNRR and LIRR...I believe that they have their own hiring process. You would have to go to HR which is located at 60 Bay Street in Staten Island.

The 5 most important things:

-Be on time to work, be on your train early, and be ready to go. Know what your assigned job does - where you're going, express/local, etc. If you have questions, ASK!

-Know your job, and what to do should any of the dozens of typical unforeseen "emergencies" come up

-Point at the proper conductor's board...it must be near your window, there must be a platform beneath it. If all of that is not true you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT open the doors.

-Don't hit people with your doors. There will be times you can't avoid it (they reach in and hold the door), but don't hit people who are standing there.

-Keep your announcements proper and professional.

BONUS REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE (if you wind up in the IRT):

-UNION SQUARE downtown (4)(5)(6) (gap fillers - make sure they come out, otherwise DON'T OPEN)

-145TH STREET (3)!!! (only open the FIRST FIVE CARS - NEVER OPEN THE BACK)

the 5 most important things:

-be on time to work, be on your train early, and be ready to go. Know what your assigned job does - where you're going, express/local, etc. If you have questions, ask!

-know your job, and what to do should any of the dozens of typical unforeseen "emergencies" come up

-point at the proper conductor's board...it must be near your window, there must be a platform beneath it. If all of that is not true you absolutely do not open the doors.

-don't hit people with your doors. There will be times you can't avoid it (they reach in and hold the door), but don't hit people who are standing there.

-keep your announcements proper and professional.

bonus required knowledge (if you wind up in the irt):

-union square downtown (4)(5)(6) (gap fillers - make sure they come out, otherwise don't open)

-145th street (3)!!! (only open the first five cars - never open the back)

fantastic! Thank you!!!B)

What would be the correct number to call, to confirm that i am on the call back list ?

I called 347-643-8500. It starts off automated, listen to the prompts and it will take you to a live person. Can you post what the last list # of hire is when you call? Hoping it is moving right along. B)

The 5 most important things:

-Be on time to work, be on your train early, and be ready to go. Know what your assigned job does - where you're going, express/local, etc. If you have questions, ASK!

-Know your job, and what to do should any of the dozens of typical unforeseen "emergencies" come up

-Point at the proper conductor's board...it must be near your window, there must be a platform beneath it. If all of that is not true you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT open the doors.

-Don't hit people with your doors. There will be times you can't avoid it (they reach in and hold the door), but don't hit people who are standing there.

-Keep your announcements proper and professional.

BONUS REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE (if you wind up in the IRT):

-UNION SQUARE downtown (4)(5)(6) (gap fillers - make sure they come out, otherwise DON'T OPEN)

-145TH STREET (3)!!! (only open the FIRST FIVE CARS - NEVER OPEN THE BACK)

Whats going on over there short platforms?

Archived