Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because the title of Conductor could be elimiated does not mean that no one would be performing the duties which are presently under the title of Conductor. It doesn't mean some massive layoffs of C/Rs are going to happen; they're not.

The title of C/R is a civil service title its NOT subject to "emlimation" through a contract if anything it has to go through Albany...

MTA wants the Moon when it comes to contracts...

Oh BTW those who are down here now congrats to those who come down here AFTER this new contract is verified...

Good Luck...:confused:

As a conductor in training, would you have the choice of am/pm or overnight? And if so when would you have the chance to choose?

All of this will be explained to you in training, but in a nutshell:

-When you're new you have no seniority. Seniority determines everything. Without seniority you are subject to the "needs of the service"

-You will, however, get some input in the form of indicating to the Crew Office what you would like to work. The crew office is the group that assigns you your jobs and you will probably go there during training. You will probably fill out a "wishlist" indicating which tour you'd like to work, and which days off you'd prefer. Sometimes you may get exactly what you want, most times you'll get one of the two things you want (tour, or days off)...sometimes you will get neither of what you want.

And you will have to put two different tours down, you can't just put the same tour twice with different days off :P

-You will know your days off two days before the week in question begins

-You will know your assigned jobs (including reporting times and locations) two days before the day you work said job

-You will know nothing else, except for vacation, when you pick it. But since you're starting late in the year, you will have to pick vacation in days...you're not eligible to pick a week. Vacation picks are seniority based too, so in the beginning don't hold out hope for the summer.

If this sounds difficult, don't worry about it...you're getting into a career, the benefits get better over time, the pay is good, there's job security, most days you get left alone, and as your seniority builds you can exercise more control over your schedule.

BTW "Word to the Wise" to those who finish training and "Belong" to the Crew Office of what Div you are assigned to.

Be Nice when you deal with them...

Be Professional even though some of em may come across like yahoos...

Last thing you need to do is tick somebody off who "controls" where they can send you, yeah it sounds harsh but its a reality ....

Dont be a whiner or a complainer because "they dont keep you close to home",so what you have to deal with it.

Becareful what you say for those who arent used to dealing with people this can be a bit of a shock when somebody answers thephone with an attitude already.

Not saying its right but be the better person...

Hopefully, whatever they (MTA) negotiates contract wise, it will benefit us all. I've been wait'n patiently & enduring a lot of bs for this opportunity to become a permanent worker with benefits.

Thanks fellas for posting as much information that will assist along the way.

Once you get hired, go thru schoolcar training & assigned a division, how long is the probationary period? Just wondering..

Correction to the above posts: Your probationary period is one year from your first day of employment with MTA in the title in question.

Correction to the above posts: Your probationary period is one year from your first day of employment with MTA in the title in question.

Oh ok...thanks! I'm just still patiently wait'n for my notice to arrive in the mail. Very anxious to start! Prep'n myself as well. So any good sound advice is welcomed.

Nah we just started last Monday. Monday morning will be the first time we meet our teachers and learn specifics about our job. It's been a long induction week...lol.

Now the real good stuff begins. Just give 110% attention to your instructors and get to know your classmates. You're going to have a good time with them, schoolcar is a great experience. All the instructors I've encountered are great too so hear them out. You'll do just fine. :tup:

Now the real good stuff begins. Just give 110% attention to your instructors and get to know your classmates. You're going to have a good time with them, schoolcar is a great experience. All the instructors I've encountered are great too so hear them out. You'll do just fine. :tup:

Sounds like fun, good people good tines. It's got to be rewarding in itself being part of something like this and contributing. I wonder if some conductors have a good rep or a bad rep. Maybe when prepping a train a T/O might think to himself "dam it's this dummy again" and stuff like that.

Sounds like fun, good people good tines. It's got to be rewarding in itself being part of something like this and contributing. I wonder if some conductors have a good rep or a bad rep. Maybe when prepping a train a T/O might think to himself "dam it's this dummy again" and stuff like that.

It goes both ways - there are T/O's that C/R's think "not this one again" about too...

But those in schoolcar will find out when they hit the road that probably 90% of the people down here are good to work with - just do what you're supposed to do and let them do what they're supposed to do and you should be fine. The #1 thing is do not think you're smarter than the job or you can pull a fast one and no one will know. You never know who's on your train.

To be honest, so far I have had a fun time. I know this is serious business and it's work but i'm not one to be comfy in large groups but my classmates are fun and just as eager to learn as I am. And I have yet to meet an MTA employee such as TSS or any other title that we meet during induction, that was not happy to be dealing with us. :P

I wonder sooo much what schoolcar is like. It's so exciting reading all of these little bits. My number is in the low 1000s so i have a while to go. In 2 weeks I'll be starting as a cleaner, how does it work if they get to my number for S/A, C/R, or T/O? I have to leave cleaner to pursue the other titles?

I wonder sooo much what schoolcar is like. It's so exciting reading all of these little bits. My number is in the low 1000s so i have a while to go. In 2 weeks I'll be starting as a cleaner, how does it work if they get to my number for S/A, C/R, or T/O? I have to leave cleaner to pursue the other titles?

Well being that all the exams you took were O/C you'll have to resign from one job to take the other. And once you do you'll be on probation once again and won't have the option of going back to a previous position. With the S/A title I assume you could take it without penalty as that was the title you're supposed to have been hired into. But I'm sure you would have to start over probation, as you have to even if you get promoted to another title. Only thing that continues is your pension which is the most important thing. Once you get 5 years your vested and if you get laid off TA has to give you a partial pension, so your chances of being laid after being vested are very slim. TA was slick with the lay offs of S/A's last year cuz most people had just under 5 years. I had 4 years and 8 months when i got laid off. Some people would've made 5 years in a few days and still got laid off.

To be honest, so far I have had a fun time. I know this is serious business and it's work but i'm not one to be comfy in large groups but my classmates are fun and just as eager to learn as I am. And I have yet to meet an MTA employee such as TSS or any other title that we meet during induction, that was not happy to be dealing with us. :P

Once you hit the road, you'll meet different supervisors and some might be more helpful to you than others, just don't be a rebel. Know the rules, know the bulletins and have all of your equipment and you should be OK. Like SubwayGuy said, don't think you're smarter than the job, because some ppl barely out of schoolcar think just that and some of them have already proven themselves wrong.

Archived