Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

It goes both ways - there are T/O's that C/R's think "not this one again" about too...

But those in schoolcar will find out when they hit the road that probably 90% of the people down here are good to work with - just do what you're supposed to do and let them do what they're supposed to do and you should be fine. The #1 thing is do not think you're smarter than the job or you can pull a fast one and no one will know. You never know who's on your train.

People do things such as what? You mean some people slack off, misbehave, tell other more seasoned employees what to do? I wonder do workers issue formal complaints against other workers? theres got to be a way for supervisors to be informed of things they cannot see. When youre smarter than the job are you implying some rookies quit learning and thus make mistakes? Please excuse me for asking these questions but I feel that if a person is willing to endure the long wait, the guinea pig nitpicking of processing and the fact that your on probation a full year and really for the rest of your career, the last thing youll be thinking is that your smarter than the job. On another note without mentioning names, are there any T/O's you rather not work with?

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People do things such as what? You mean some people slack off, misbehave, tell other more seasoned employees what to do? I wonder do workers issue formal complaints against other workers? theres got to be a way for supervisors to be informed of things they cannot see. When youre smarter than the job are you implying some rookies quit learning and thus make mistakes? Please excuse me for asking these questions but I feel that if a person is willing to endure the long wait, the guinea pig nitpicking of processing and the fact that your on probation a full year and really for the rest of your career, the last thing youll be thinking is that your smarter than the job. On another note without mentioning names, are there any T/O's you rather not work with?

You would be surprised at how many "rookies" think they know it all (Railfans cough cough). I started in 01 seen it myself 1st hand seen quiet a few know it alls go bye bye...

People slack off and misbehave in jobs all over ..

Supervisors are very well aware on what goes on down here...

Yes we do issue complaints against other workers as well...

BTW SubwayGuy isnt a C/R....

Hope these answers your questions....

You would be surprised at how many "rookies" think they know it all (Railfans cough cough). I started in 01 seen it myself 1st hand seen quiet a few know it alls go bye bye...

People slack off and misbehave in jobs all over ..

Supervisors are very well aware on what goes on down here...

Yes we do issue complaints against other workers as well...

BTW SubwayGuy isnt a C/R....

Hope these answers your questions....

Thanks for your interesting input. Its possible the person you mention might seem a smartass while on the forum, but on the job is well aware of the do's and dont's and the lines you dont cross aswell as the envelopes you dont push. I still wonder though, can these formal complaints lead to demotions or possible termination of employment? If so, how many would it take? or does it all depend on the severity of the issue?

Thanks for your interesting input. Its possible the person you mention might seem a smartass while on the forum, but on the job is well aware of the do's and dont's and the lines you dont cross aswell as the envelopes you dont push. I still wonder though, can these formal complaints lead to demotions or possible termination of employment? If so, how many would it take? or does it all depend on the severity of the issue?

A smartarse is a smartarse you can still be one but as long as you do yer job down here, thats all they care about...

There are Lines down here you cant and better not cross i lost count how many there are now...

Yes they can lead to dismissal MTA dont play when it comes to things such as that.

Hope that Helps.

There are bad apples in every job. It's the way it is. Fairly easy to find out who they are if you make good friends.

And yes there are people who don't even make it out of schoolcar because they have a "know it all attitude" - there's actually a pretty good story that happened recently someone here might know about but I'm not going to give any details...

As for T/O's that C/R's don't want to work with and vice versa, if you get hired you'll find out soon enough...wouldn't want to spoil the "surprise" - the overwhelming majority you'll meet are very good and very helpful but every job has its bad apples and the MTA knows who they are, by and large...

When you're new stay "UNDER THE RADAR" - you won't get a lot of recognition, awards, or pats on the back for doing what you're supposed to but that's better than being under a microscope for doing it wrong and everyone knowing about it. Word does travel, especially if you have a "reputation" so if you have one make it be a good one...

If the people you work with give you compliments, consider that a good thing and leave it that...and give recognition to good partners that you like working with too...don't be a diva...

When you're new stay "UNDER THE RADAR" - you won't get a lot of recognition, awards, or pats on the back for doing what you're supposed to but that's better than being under a microscope for doing it wrong and everyone knowing about it. Word does travel, especially if you have a "reputation" so if you have one make it be a good one...

I cant imagine a time when one DOES NOT want to stay under the radar. I used to think MTA had a conductor of the month, where if one won the honor they would receive Transit Authority fridge magnets, iron-on patches, stickers and free tickets to the NYC transit museum. Instead of all that, you just wont get fired.

Heard from sources today that the Dec. class for C/R will be 20. And that between Jan. and June of next year they plan for 190 new C/R's and 150 promo T/O.

That's pretty disheartening. I though by next summer T/O promos would be over and done with(granted idk where it stands atm) and C/R's would at least be closing in on 800 appointees by the end of next year. At least they plan on hiring.

Heard from sources today that the Dec. class for C/R will be 20. And that between Jan. and June of next year they plan for 190 new C/R's and 150 promo T/O.

I'm patiently & eagerly wait'n for my notice in the mail. This wait is quite annoy'n but I'll endure. After knowing that they finally included my list number (623). I've been check'n the mailbox every day hoping today will be the day. But it's not. I wanna start already! How long does it actually takes to receive the notice, when u know they opened the list to include yur number?

I'm sure there are others like me happy to know that 190 new C/R's were added to that hiring list. Yippee!! Lol :0)

Congratulations. Just curious, did you originally go for your drug test September 8th? I'm trying to see if any of us who went on the 8th has gotten called yet.

I went for 1st drug test aug 26 again on nov 4 and final medical on the 10th.

Does anyone know if something like a heart murmur could cause you to fail the physical? I have a murmur and a valve condition, but have never suffered any symptoms from either. They are so minor that they weren't even detected until i was 15 years old. But I'm worried this could be a reason for the mta to pass me up.

Also, does the mta request health records during pre-employment?

no they don't request health records

just don't tell them about it and if they don't detect it

then great. A heart murmur may disqualify you .

Archived