Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait to switch to the B division. I like it better over there because you don't have any awkward stations like 14th and Union Square or 145th and Lennox. And all you fellow rookie C/Rs out there in the A division better make sure you knwo what to do at 145th or else your going downtown. That station has gotten plenty of C/Rs into BIG trouble.

That's really strange, because LAST YEAR we got July 4 off....it was a 72 hour pay week though.

You're going to learn so much more in posting than you did in the classroom. Opening and closing the doors with passengers is completely dfferent from doing it in the yard on an empty train. If you don't feel comfortable, let your trainer jump back in and watch his technique (but don't watch too closely, since the longer they've been here, the more likely that they've developed their own technique which deviates from schoolcar policy). I had to do a put-in at 137 St when I posted on the 1, now THAT was an experience! Most importantly, KNOW YOUR STATIONS. You're gonna get a lot of questions at your window - many of them will sound stupid to you like "does this train stop at 14 St" but always answer promptly with a smile - there's plenty of time to laugh about it between stations. And don't be afraid to close the door on people's faces - there are stations like Main St and Times Square on the 7 where there is a CONSTANT stream of people coming to the platform, and you have to look for that quick window where you can hit close without someone getting hit by the doors, but that means closing on someone who was just a second too late. And NEVER, EVER reopen at those two stations, even if you don't have the line-up yet. Reopening is even worse than closing, because now that the customers know that you're serious about getting out of the station, they're going to hold the doors for everybody within eyesight.

Donald, are you going to B for the next pick? B-Div has have MANY more diversion points, and it's much easier to get rerouted, so you REALLY need to know your stations - there are 4 ways to get to Coney Island, and a Delta out of 205 St can end up on any of the 4 of them! You also need to know your line-ups, as there's no ATS to protect your train, and if you get a probie T/O (or even a veteran working an RDO on an unfamiliar line), you are going to want to check all of those signals yourself, so you better know when you do and don't want a bottom yellow.

And really, is it THAT tough to point to the board at 145 that says "OPEN FRONT SECTION ONLY" and do what the sign says? I don't know about you, but I want to keep my job, so I don't go opening the doors where there isn't a platform. You're gonna go down just as hard if you open up on the abandoned platforms at 59/CC or Hoyt-Schemerhorn, so don't think that being in B is gonna get you off scott free from weird platforms.

It's not always possible to check signals. First, you can't possibly memorize all of the signals when your on a different line every day. And second, the platform might be on one side of the train and the signal is on the other side of the train. Or the platform might be curved and you can't see up front. The T/O is ultimately responsible for requesting the proper line up. After all, that is why the punch box is by the first car and not the 6th car.

Yes, I know the B has weird platforms. But I'm not worried about them. Hoyt and 59 CC don't have boards on the unused platforms so I know not to open up if there is no board. It only gets confusiong when you have boards on BOTH sides of the train like at the WIllets Point local track and the center track at East 180.

And yes, I know not to open up the back at 145th. But if I had my choice, I would rather not have to deal with that station, especially sincee there is usually at least one angry customer waiting for me at 148 demanding to know why I didn't open up the doors even though I made a half dozen announcements.

Two indication boards at Willets point and E180 is confusing? Really? It's pretty straight forward if you ask me. Also, Hoyt-Schermehorn does have boards on the abandoned platform. Granted it has a sign saying don't open but if you're even looking out the cab window at that side, you're already not paying attention and run the risk of opening anyways.

That's really strange, because LAST YEAR we got July 4 off....it was a 72 hour pay week though.

You're going to learn so much more in posting than you did in the classroom. Opening and closing the doors with passengers is completely dfferent from doing it in the yard on an empty train. If you don't feel comfortable, let your trainer jump back in and watch his technique (but don't watch too closely, since the longer they've been here, the more likely that they've developed their own technique which deviates from schoolcar policy). I had to do a put-in at 137 St when I posted on the 1, now THAT was an experience! Most importantly, KNOW YOUR STATIONS. You're gonna get a lot of questions at your window - many of them will sound stupid to you like "does this train stop at 14 St" but always answer promptly with a smile - there's plenty of time to laugh about it between stations. And don't be afraid to close the door on people's faces - there are stations like Main St and Times Square on the 7 where there is a CONSTANT stream of people coming to the platform, and you have to look for that quick window where you can hit close without someone getting hit by the doors, but that means closing on someone who was just a second too late. And NEVER, EVER reopen at those two stations, even if you don't have the line-up yet. Reopening is even worse than closing, because now that the customers know that you're serious about getting out of the station, they're going to hold the doors for everybody within eyesight.

Donald, are you going to B for the next pick? B-Div has have MANY more diversion points, and it's much easier to get rerouted, so you REALLY need to know your stations - there are 4 ways to get to Coney Island, and a Delta out of 205 St can end up on any of the 4 of them! You also need to know your line-ups, as there's no ATS to protect your train, and if you get a probie T/O (or even a veteran working an RDO on an unfamiliar line), you are going to want to check all of those signals yourself, so you better know when you do and don't want a bottom yellow.

And really, is it THAT tough to point to the board at 145 that says "OPEN FRONT SECTION ONLY" and do what the sign says? I don't know about you, but I want to keep my job, so I don't go opening the doors where there isn't a platform. You're gonna go down just as hard if you open up on the abandoned platforms at 59/CC or Hoyt-Schemerhorn, so don't think that being in B is gonna get you off scott free from weird platforms.

yea thats what i was hearing from some of the instructors, "had off last year so why not this year." thats why it might vary depending on what schoolcar wants to do not necessarily TA, i guess.

maybe a dumb question, but would i look like a retard if i wore my hat while im posting? I know yall would chew me up for that. my classmates already did. lmao

I wear the summer hat every once in a while, I got shit for it from the old timers the first few times I wore it though. Don't care. Helps keep the sun out of my eyes and when it rains. Now all I keep getting from the old timers now is questions about where did I get it since they haven't worn it. Donald's claim about it being too hot to wear it are unfounded. With the AC vent being right above your head, the summer mesh hat funnels the cool air into your head.

I wear the summer hat every once in a while, I got shit for it from the old timers the first few times I wore it though. Don't care. Helps keep the sun out of my eyes and when it rains. Now all I keep getting from the old timers now is questions about where did I get it since they haven't worn it. Donald's claim about it being too hot to wear it are unfounded. With the AC vent being right above your head, the summer mesh hat funnels the cool air into your head.

HAHAHAHA @ YOU... I hate that hat!

I was actually considering picking on the L line if I can get it. It's a nice simple and short line with no connections to make. If I can get a 5 tripper, that will pay nicely.

Quit Dreaming you wont even see the Larry Line as RDO Relief..

I was actually considering picking on the L line if I can get it. It's a nice simple and short line with no connections to make. If I can get a 5 tripper, that will pay nicely.

I don't think you can even handle the B division. And you want a 5 tripper on the (L)?! Canarsie would eat your silly behind alive.

And when do I get to join the crew room forum???

I think you need to focus more on learning your lineups than getting an invite to a silly forum room, which to be honest, isn't even that active. I've been here for over a year and am still waiting for my RTO Family invite, which is supposedly where all the REAL action happens.

Almost every location in A-Div at least has a readable signal from the C/R's position. Main St's Middle track, 238-Bway N/B and 125 St-Lex on the express track in both directions are the only exceptions I can think of. Some of them you have to look at reflections or the CCTV's, like at Grand Central Tk 3 this morning I kept having to look at one of the pillars to see the reflected red/red go to yellow/green, as 6's were getting crossed over there and we never had a clear line-up coming in. For signals which I can't see, that's what the IC is for - since you'll be sure that your T/O knows what aspect the signal is (and the procedure is that you aren't supposed to pass indication at terminals or points of no return until you verify that you have the proper line-up!)

LOL, yeah, you do that. Nice and simple since nobody rides it and there's no crazy robotrain opening doors between stations on you. If you think the A-Div is easy, the Larry is gonna be like taking a 9 hour nap.

maybe a dumb question, but would i look like a retard if i wore my hat while im posting? I know yall would chew me up for that. my classmates already did. lmao

You wear what you feel comfortable wearing. There are some folk down here who wear the winter uniform every day of the year. I keep my MTA cap in my backpack just for days like today where it's raining so hard that I can't see crap without some kind of head protection. Remember, once we get to Oct 1, hats and ties are mandatory!

On the SMEEs perhaps but I've yet to have an NTT where the AC in the cab wasn't working.

Both of you need to learn how to properly reset the A/C in a SMEE. Whenever I board a R62A and I'm not getting enough air, I do a full 600V shutdown, and then B-C-O-F and it works like a charm.

The times I've had issues with the AC on the R62s is because the vents have been damaged and I can't open them fully if at all.

On the B div, the coldest cabs are the 68's next is the 160's then some 46's are ok if the vents are blowing. other than that the 32 cabs suck webos.

Archived