Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

Yeah, I figured the 6 and 7 are the last to go since you work hard and get little to no penalty. I like the B div. better since you have more lines to choose from. The A is nice since it's an express with big gaps between stations so your not constantly opening and closing doors like you are on the 6 and 7. That's a line i'm going to try to pick if I can't get any other line or extra so that I don't have to go all the way to Coney Island every day.

In the A div., the 3 and 4 are my favorite lines since those are just 2 trips, although they have 3 trippers but they pay nice penalties. And I like the 5, but only if the 2nd trip is to Bowl Green :)

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main thing I don't like about midnights is that it's hard to sleep when you get home since it's daylight outside and your body does not want to sleep when it's sunny outside even though your tired. Midnights forces you to sleep like a vampire. And during midnights, all the trips take forever since your going local and you have all the flagging. So your lunch break is always cut in half. It's almost unheard of to get your full lunch break on midnights.

The 5 to Bowling Green is actually LONGER, since you don't get a break halfway through. I had to do a 5 to/from Bowling Green LOCAL THE WHOLE WAY one weekend, and that has gotta be the longest amount of cab time in any NYCT job...and since we were late every trip, we didn't even get a rest in the loop. That half hour break at FLA I get between every half really makes the day easier, and then I get an hour for lunch at Dyre, so it's not like I'm working the whole 8.

Yeah, there were some 2 trippers left on the 3 (those 3 trippers were LONG GONE), but everything left on the 7 were late PM 5 trippers that paid between 8 and 9 hours. Fortunately I only had to pick a 5-tripper 7 job one day a week, and it's by far the roughest day I have.

Also, forget about weekends. Any piece of the weekend was long gone, as was Thursday-Friday.

I just did a three tripper on the 3. They are a lot of work, but they do pay very well. The C/R who regularly has one of those 3 trippers has 30 years. I also like the 3 since it's convenient not having to start all the way in the Bronx.

I never did the 5 to Bowl Green local, but the 6 has tons of cab time during your last trip since your local in Manhattan and the Bronx. The first time I worked on the 5, it was during a GO so I just made two trips from Dyre to Grand Central express. That was a sweet job. The second time I only did 1.5 trips since the job started out of Utica. Believe it or not, they actually have 5 trains that start out of Utica. The only thing tricky about the 5 is that you can get re-routed over the 2 line in Manhattan so at every stop peopel flood you with questions since they've never seen a 5 train at Times Square.

I guess the appeal with midnights is you don't have to deal with crowds at night, and there's little road supervision so some crews do the bare minimum. HOWEVER, the last half is often an AM peak run, which you have to do at your most tired time, so no thanks.

Do people with low seniority get to pick midnights? Or do all the midnight trips get taken up by more senior crews?

Midnights sound appealing to me only because my area tends to be quieter during the day...

The main thing I don't like about midnights is that it's hard to sleep when you get home since it's daylight outside and your body does not want to sleep when it's sunny outside even though your tired. Midnights forces you to sleep like a vampire. And during midnights, all the trips take forever since your going local and you have all the flagging. So your lunch break is always cut in half. It's almost unheard of to get your full lunch break on midnights.

Don't know what you're doing but I always get my lunch breaks on midnights unless the road blows up.

Believe it or not, Midnights are actually VERY high seniority. Those overnight 3 shuttle jobs to Times Square and those overnight Dyre OPTO shuttles are the VERY FIRST road jobs to go - you need 35 years for those. I'm sure there are plenty of crap midnight jobs that stay on the pick board for quite a while, but every single midnight & AM job was gone when I picked, but there were still about 30 PM jobs left.

well,ppl i went down there direct and spoke with someone face to face.and they said that aint nothing happening for a minute. atlease till september...so its true. smmfh,,, im in the 75o'spissed... i should be on the next wave of letters going out for piss...hopefully..godwilling

In the same boat as you in. I'm at the 76@ and I'm anxious as a mofo to start. I already got my tickets to head back when I get the letter. I wish all you guys luck and pray we get contacted soon. I gotta get this ball rolling

Hello, Has anyone tried to delay their hiring and have their list # restored? I am currently in the 750's and must need to delay the hiring until further noticed. I went to 1 centre street and the girl in the 21st floor told me that when they contact you, you ignored the response and when you are ready come back and have it restored. My question is is this how it work? I just need confirmation as I dont want to missed out by false infromation. and also, if I do get my number restored, in your experiences, do you usually get back up a while before you get hired, or that once you are restored, you should be in the next few wave of hiring? Thanks so much for the reply

It's exactly how it works you call the # provided on the letter and tell them you missed your appointment date and you would like your number restored. After that I have no idea what happens

Also, forget about weekends. Any piece of the weekend was long gone, as was Thursday-Friday.

Why is the weekend first to go? I imagined that nobody would want them since GO's lead to endless reroutes, delays, and angry/confused passengers.

I personally prefer working S/S. The GOs can be interesting (and sometimes lead to more money AND less work!) and I find that having days off during the week makes it much easier to do chores and errands, since you aren't competing with the rest of the city. Picking a job with two weekdays off also lets you work multiple lines, as your Sat and Sun jobs are packaged separately from your daily job,

I personally prefer working S/S. The GOs can be interesting (and sometimes lead to more money AND less work!) and I find that having days off during the week makes it much easier to do chores and errands, since you aren't competing with the rest of the city. Picking a job with two weekdays off also lets you work multiple lines, as your Sat and Sun jobs are packaged separately from your daily job,

I like working only during the week since during the weekends there are fewer penalty jobs. A job that is 9 hours Mon-Fri might only pay 8 hours on the weekends.

I always like having middle of the week RDO's the work week goes fast and you don't have large crawds when you do things on your day off.

I agree 1000% I get more things done with weekday RDO's and work seems to go by faster working on the weekends because it isn't so rush-rush like on the weekdays.

did anyone get a letter yet in the 800s range to come in just wondering i was in fla for a few weeks and did not get anything in the mail if they did get a letter and i did not what do i do to get a letter

also dcas says last number certified im in the 800s i got no letter to be certifed what does this mean im confused about the last certified is 1,324 is please help thanks didthey pass me to get certified ???

Last certified = The highest number DCAS gave to the MTA for consideration.

As long as the last number appointed (708 last I checked) isn't above your number, you are good. Besides, C/R hiring is frozen for a little while so no one above the 708 area has missed much...

Last certified = The highest number DCAS gave to the MTA for consideration.

As long as the last number appointed (708 last I checked) isn't above your number, you are good. Besides, C/R hiring is frozen for a little while so no one above the 708 area has missed much...

ok thank you take care paul i thought they sent letters out and they went for certification im in 800s so i got a while but it will come very soon im ready !!!

Archived