Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

Well... time to admit to something on my end... because of health and family reasons I have decided not to pursue the opportunity to become a conductor as of now. The health reasons are related to my sinus and hypertension, and my family reasons are because my mother wants to settle down in a new apartment, preferably out of state (our apartment now is going down the crapper) and we really don't have anybody else here who can help us with that (plus there is a language barrier on my mom's end).

Bottom line: I am needed elsewhere, the TA doesnt need me. I'm not going to waste my own time, their time, or anybody else's time. I'm not going to accept a position just to either leave it after a few months or end up on a medical hold. I didnt lose anything by applying for the exam (fee waiver) and when I applied it was a different time.

Never say never though, in theory I have until 2014 to start the process. Some might say I'm giving up a hell of an opportunity, but I don't want to intrude on anyone else's opportunity when I am not completely ready while having other things on my plate. I find it better to leave the potential opportunity on the side waiting than burn myself out and waste it later.

No shame.

No problem...just call DCAS at any point while the list is active if you want to reinstate your name to the list down the road (if you change your mind, or your circumstances change). If you do so, you'll be in the next class to follow.

If you don't before the list expires, no biggie. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing to do.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's good news for the others. However, that's a real shame. The very fact you paid and applied for this position and waited all this time means that it means something to you. Sure, you can be put on medical hold but that's something you can take care of by going to a doctor and getting it under control unless you have a very severe heart condition, you taken a look at some of these mammoths working in RTO or MTA bus lately? Surely you can do the job if they can. If you move out of state because of your mother then you can forget about Transit or at the very least it will be surely a miserable commute that can make anyone reconsider. Sometimes you have to put yourself in a good spot and do what's best for yourself first before you can help and do what is best for loved ones.

Good points. Sure working for transit would be nice, but I'm going to outright waste this once in a blue moon chance. If I know I can't give 110% to something, then what the hell would be the point? I'd rather play the waiting game some more, except now it's on my terms since they are about to pass by my list number.

Besides, DCAS didnt take one cent from me, I got a fee waiver.

Hey guys I have a question hoping someone can help me out.. I got my letter to report on 3/11/13 but, it says its for bus operator. I don't want that position I want to be a train conductor do you suggest that I just mail in my paperwork saying I decline or should I take itin person? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey guys I have a question hoping someone can help me out.. I got my letter to report on 3/11/13 but, it says its for bus operator. I don't want that position I want to be a train conductor do you suggest that I just mail in my paperwork saying I decline or should I take itin person? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

decline in writing or check box no bus operator you are waiting for conductor i got the same for both but cant take either one .im reinstating my list num end of summer for conductor only .

It's not that high for medical. I'm in the 980s and I go for the initial drug test in the morning. Good luck to those heading to Brooklyn in a few hours. I'll be the one with the (1) on my headband :)

So Poughkipsee where are you in the process now?  And is there anyone out there that has passed  the 980's at any stage in the process?

So Poughkipsee where are you in the process now?  And is there anyone out there that has passed  the 980's at any stage in the process?

Still waiting for the call for medical. Was hoping to get in Monday's class, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen that way. Probably the next one, I don't see them calling me for medical with only one day's notice, then again I'm already in transit so could be possibly?... *fingers crossed*

The last # reached for appt is 907 as of today for cr.

Primo, Poughkisee said he is in the mid 980's and waiting to be called for the medical, So are you saying appointed or initial appointment to come down livingston to start the paperwork? And Thanks for the new info!

Primo, Poughkisee said he is in the mid 980's and waiting to be called for the medical, So are you saying appointed or initial appointment to come down livingston to start the paperwork? And Thanks for the new info!

Appointed, as in hired. So far it's looking like I'd be in the next class, I can only hope it starts in April and not like 3 months later :wacko:  (PS: I'm a "she" )

Yea that is correct . The last # appointed

Thanks, thats way past the 861 quoted on the DCAS phone line. Its good to see the list is moving. Just might get to me one day! LOL...

Appointed, as in hired. So far it's looking like I'd be in the next class, I can only hope it starts in April and not like 3 months later :wacko:  (PS: I'm a "she" )

Sorry Poughkipsee, And congrats.

Hello everybody i just recieved an email from the HR department of the Long Island Railroad and i got accepted to do testing for the Assitant Conductor position.

I am very excited i just don't know what to break the news to my current employer because they ask for a three weeks notice for vacations yet this was that they just let me know?

I applied for this position way back in november i think and now i am happy that they gave me an email and yet i live in Miami, Florida.

I am curious on how these tests are what happens after the tests if i pass what will happen?

A bit of old news here but add me to the list of people on 8094 receiving a letter from Transit inviting me to take the BOSS examination for bus operators. Interestingly my list number is very high in the 1700's. So either they are picking people at random or there is something strange going on because I know a person in the 1200's and one in the 1400's who both claim to not have received such notification (yet). Just for clarification the letter also states "whether you accept or decline the bus operator position, your name will remain on the list and will be considered for a conductor position when your list number is reached". The letter also states "if you are not interested in being considered for this position you may disregard this letter". At least Transit isn't being vague leaving people with more questions than answers. If people are hired for B/O off 8094 this will definitely speed up the list a little. I wouldn't drive a bus in New york city even if I did have a CDL license and was hired. Big props to those than enjoy it and good luck to all.

Archived