Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

Good post Xentor, does one put their pension in jeopardy if they continue to work past 25 years of service? What I mean is if somebody does something wrong and gets fired.

In a case like the one you are referring to, since it is not the private industry where they would just fire someone on the spot, I would assume with the union, they would make a deal that instead of firing said employee (if it is a fireable offence without question) with the 25/55 already completed, they would just make than employee retire at that point in lieu of termination.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just a hunch but I think the reason they are delaying sending out the letters is so that the early classes can have no people with medical holds. They are probably thinking why would they want to hire someone with pre existing medical problems? If someone has a pre esxisting medical problem they probably figure there is a good chance they will eventually end up restricted and will have to pay them a full salary to do platform duty and move around interoffice mail. That would be a waste of money and time training someone. I think that under normal circumstances, hiring letters should have been received by now by at least the first 50 to 100 people on the open competitive list to at least come in for drug testing. That may be one reason why you have not received a letter yet Sharifa and Drew.

So does anyone know when the first notices will go out tot he O/C people to start the hiring process? Up to what list number will the first notices get sent to?

Should be in a few weeks. I would guess about the 2nd week of June.

The DCAS automated number says I am on an outstanding certification. I know this has bene asked 10,000 times already, but what does that mean? My rank # is in the mid 400s. I was kind of surprised to hear that since there are hundreds of peopel ahead of me.

The DCAS automated number says I am on an outstanding certification. I know this has bene asked 10,000 times already, but what does that mean?

The batch of numbers has been sent over to the MTA.

So when can I expect to get that magic letter in the mail?

Whenever the MTA gets to it. Just because they received the numbers, doesn't mean the MTA is up to it. My number is also on outstanding certification.

Whenever the MTA gets to it. Just because they received the numbers, doesn't mean the MTA is up to it. My number is also on outstanding certification.

So Julio, would you leave SIRTOA to come to NYCTA if you're called for the C/R job?. I mean technically isn't SIRTOA part of NYCTA anyway?

So basically, they send hundreds of names at a time, but they still have to sort through them?

And lucky you, no such luck for me :)

The DCAS automated number says I am on an outstanding certification. I know this has bene asked 10,000 times already, but what does that mean? My rank # is in the mid 400s. I was kind of surprised to hear that since there are hundreds of peopel ahead of me.

Well with the way O/C works it shouldn't be too long. Not everyone makes it through pre-employment. So I would say if things go smooth sailing, maybe by mid July or early August.

So Julio, would you leave SIRTOA to come to NYCTA if you're called for the C/R job?. I mean technically isn't SIRTOA part of NYCTA anyway?

SIRTOA is the red headed step-child of the MTA. It's part of NYCTA but not at the same time. That's one of the things that I've been debating about. Still got until the time I receive my letter from Livingston St to decide.

So basically, they send hundreds of names at a time, but they still have to sort through them?

And lucky you, no such luck for me :)

It's like a record company (DCAS) sending fanmail to an artist (NYCTA) to respond to. They just send the stuff to the MTA, the MTA then takes it from there.

Well with the way O/C works it shouldn't be too long. Not everyone makes it through pre-employment. So I would say if things go smooth sailing, maybe by mid July or early August.

If youre implying that Transit will get somewhere around in the 400's on c/r o/r list by august, that would be an extremely fast pace and would surpass the last conductor's list almost certainly, at least if the demand for conductors stay the same. Ide like to think that since 8094 has taken so long to be established that transit has built up a good appetite for calling and hiring conductors. Plus after such a lenghty amount of time just to get the list established, more people than normal might have moved on and not even want the job, or even show up unprepared and stupified to pre-employment and schoolcar.

If youre implying that Transit will get somewhere around in the 400's on c/r o/r list by august, that would be an extremely fast pace and would surpass the last conductor's list almost certainly, at least if the demand for conductors stay the same. Ide like to think that since 8094 has taken so long to be established that transit has built up a good appetite for calling and hiring conductors. Plus after such a lenghty amount of time just to get the list established, more people than normal might have moved on and not even want the job, or even show up unprepared and stupified to pre-employment and schoolcar.

And that's why I said he may get a pre-employment letter by then. They may send out at least 80 letters or more to get that first class of 40 people, and they may do the same thing for the next class of 40. Out of 100 people sent a letter maybe only 35-40 will get hired. Don't forget not everyone will pass the medical. And TA is not gonna stop hiring the people that may have scored lower than you either. And let's not forget technically the next C/R's exam should be given next year around Nov/Dec. This list should have been at least two years into hiring O/C's by now, and a little over one year from exhaustion by the time the next exam rolls around. And given the amount of people's name put on a outstanding certification makes it seem like they will move fast too. I think normally DCAS sends about 100-200 names at a time, not more than 400. I could be wrong in all that I'm saying, but I just feel initially TA will move fast through the first few months then slow down by years end.

SIRTOA is the red headed step-child of the MTA. It's part of NYCTA but not at the same time. That's one of the things that I've been debating about. Still got until the time I receive my letter from Livingston St to decide.

Well SIRTOA must be beyond the red headed step child to the (MTA), because NYCTA already holds that title , lol. What's top pay for a C/R @ SIR, and how long does it take to get to there?. I mean if you did take the TA C/R job you would no longer have to worry about S/A's looking @ your SIR pass funny LMAO. I mean I'd let you on w/o a problem, I honor all MTA and neighboring Transit authority's passes as well. Just as long as the person asking knows that they are suppose to either swipe their pass or pay their fare, and asks in the manner of a human being then I have no problem.

And that's why I said he may get a pre-employment letter by then. They may send out at least 80 letters or more to get that first class of 40 people, and they may do the same thing for the next class of 40. Out of 100 people sent a letter maybe only 35-40 will get hired. Don't forget not everyone will pass the medical. And TA is not gonna stop hiring the people that may have scored lower than you either. And let's not forget technically the next C/R's exam should be given next year around Nov/Dec. This list should have been at least two years into hiring O/C's by now, and a little over one year from exhaustion by the time the next exam rolls around. And given the amount of people's name put on a outstanding certification makes it seem like they will move fast too. I think normally DCAS sends about 100-200 names at a time, not more than 400. I could be wrong in all that I'm saying, but I just feel initially TA will move fast through the first few months then slow down by years end.

The next conductor test will not be held until at least 2014. What makes you think they would have another conductor test a year and a half into the current list that is good until February 2015? The Next conductor test will most likely be around February 2014.

As for the people worse than 150 on the list, don't expect to be hired this summer. The hiring numbers are not what you think they are.

Should be in a few weeks. I would guess about the 2nd week of June.

Again, what makes you think they will mail out notices 2 weeks before the scheduled start of a class when it takes at least 2 weeks to do the drug test, medical, and hand in the booklet? Will if you don't know something please stop guessing and giving out wrong information. It's starting to sound like Donald is rubbing off on you.

There was a hiring freeze and some other nonsence but dam Transit sure did take their time handing out those promotions for conductor.

You guys think I will get hired before the end of October? A few months ago I planned a week long trip to Boston for that time. I hope Amtrak has a generous refund policy in case I can't go.

Yeah, they do. Amtrak will refund 100% of your money as long as the ticket is not older than 1 year. A couple of years ago I got stuck in a major east coast blizzard that stretched from NC-NJ. I was stuck just outside of Fayetteville,NC for 6 hours due to a frozen switch and another 2 outside of Richmond, VA for the same problem. I didn't get imto nyc until 7 hours after my expected arrival time. I called customer service and started spitting transit/RR jargon, and telling them how they should've had people working in advanced to prevent this situation, and how the C/R's wouldn't give us any info after we had been stranded for more than 4 hours. And their reason was because they didn't want to wake people. I asked the C/R, don't you think people will be more upset to wake up and find out that they've been stuck in the same spot for 6 hours than to have been woken up and told this info?. Long story short they refunded my entire trip including the way going to my destination.

Well SIRTOA must be beyond the red headed step child to the (MTA), because NYCTA already holds that title , lol. What's top pay for a C/R @ SIR, and how long does it take to get to there?. I mean if you did take the TA C/R job you would no longer have to worry about S/A's looking @ your SIR pass funny LMAO. I mean I'd let you on w/o a problem, I honor all MTA and neighboring Transit authority's passes as well. Just as long as the person asking knows that they are suppose to either swipe their pass or pay their fare, and asks in the manner of a human being then I have no problem.

Top pay is $23 and I believe it's 4-5 years for top pay.

Archived