Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depending on the number of applicants, four or five numbers from 0-9 are drawn at random like a lottery, and the last four or five numbers of the applicant's SS# are compared. How it's further broken down, I'm not sure. Exact matches move an applicant further down the list (lower number).

• 5 months later...
anywun kno wut number they're up to callin at this time?

When they hired the last class in January, they were up to 133 on the promotional list. Since then there has been a hold on all RTO hiring. They had planned a class for April and then in May, but canceled both.

• 2 weeks later...
I just made a phone call today and found out all RTO hiring is on hold still, and no time table has been set on when hiring will begin again.

Probably waiting till the S/A layoffs go through in court, since hiring for other titles would hurt the TA's case.

...While people retire and the current employees rack up the overtime Jay Balder is complaining about...

Penny wise pound foolish. At least thats my take.

Probably waiting till the S/A layoffs go through in court, since hiring for other titles would hurt the TA's case.

...While people retire and the current employees rack up the overtime Jay Balder is complaining about...

Penny wise pound foolish. At least thats my take.

My guess is if they do hire at all in the near future it is when all the layoffs are done, including the b/o's so that they only have conductors to promote to the train operator list, and then leaving a ton of open spots in conductor, so that they can hire more o/c list people and save on the entry level pay rate on conductor.

My guess is if they do hire at all in the near future it is when all the layoffs are done, including the b/o's so that they only have conductors to promote to the train operator list, and then leaving a ton of open spots in conductor, so that they can hire more o/c list people and save on the entry level pay rate on conductor.

I would agree with that.

lets take a step back and look at the bigger picture. if they do this exactly as you say they will not fill those conductor spots because they then have a clear shot at pushing more opto. with less conductors they can assign them to am and pm tours for the rush hours, leaving mid nights open for system wide opto service.

lets take a step back and look at the bigger picture. if they do this exactly as you say they will not fill those conductor spots because they then have a clear shot at pushing more opto. with less conductors they can assign them to am and pm tours for the rush hours, leaving mid nights open for system wide opto service.

That's a very good point, but there is only so much opto they can do before it becomes more expensive. They can only really pull it off from maybe 9PM to 5 AM. There aren't that many trains running at that time anyway. They can't run it during the morning and PM rush hours because opto trains can't be full length from what I remember hearing unless I am wrong. During rush hours they would need conductors because opto wouldn't be able to handle all those people. Full trains with a conductor can't handle all those people, and then they would probablyhave to double the amount of trains out there which would make the saving nill since T/o's get paid more, so my guess would be that 5 AM to 9 PM on weekdays should be opto safe for the most part, but late nights and weekends may be victim to it if the union rolls over and plays dead again when opto is brought up for the next contract.

What I think they will eventually do for the S/A position is eliminate it completely and out source a new roving passenger information employee from outside non union agencies for maybe $8.00 or $9.00 an hour. They would basically be there to show people how to use the machines and help them with the turnstiles or give them directions. I think the token booth will be completely exctint by 2020, or whenever the oldest Station agent not laid off retires.

What I think they will eventually do for the S/A position is eliminate it completely and out source a new roving passenger information employee from outside non union agencies for maybe $8.00 or $9.00 an hour.

With no benifits probally @ all. People will be so willing to work ANYWHERE near a subway station or work period they will run to the job.

you have a point. i think station agents will be replaced automated kiosk's.

I think that's what the TA wanted to do all along with the Station agents since they intorduced the metrocard, then the metrocard machines in the 1990's. The layoff thing was just something they used to expedite the elimination.

With no benifits probally @ all. People will be so willing to work ANYWHERE near a subway station or work period they will run to the job.

That's what TA wants, that's what every corporation wants. Indentured servants working with no benefits just to pay off the monthly minimums on their already maxed out credit cards.

Then we'll truly have a "workforce" competitive with the shit in China, Singapore

Then we'll truly have a "workforce" competitive with the shit in China, Singapore

Then? It's pretty much here, it's called Walmart employement opportunity and friends. It's just not 100% of the workforce yet. I honestly hope that Toussaint has some horrible misfortunes in the near future. There is no one in New York more deserving besides the other criminals.

• 1 month later...
Thanks Julio!

wow some of those people have all 3! Whats the D for?

Not sure. Don't see any mention of D under the credit stuff for DCAS exams.

I believe "D" refers to "Disabled Veterans' Credit," separate from "V" - Veterans' credit. An exam applicant can receive either "V" or "D" credit, but not both.

• 4 months later...

A class of conductors (Promo) was just hired last month, and are road posting. I seen and spoke to one at Pelham Bay Wednesday. The class of promo T/O's were hired at the beginning of October, and they are in the B-Div. They said there should be at least three more classes of T/O's. TA needs about 400 T/Os, quite a few people are retiring, and so many have been demoted also........

Lots of people are scrambling to get out, some just with age, not time. Few want to stay till they croak on the job........

Archived