A Few Questions

R10 2952

I've been pondering these for a while:

-Have the R-68s/R-68As ever ran along Queens Boulevard?

-What cars did the ®/(N) use in the late 1980s?

-For how many years did the longest running R1s-R9s run?

-Why did the (NYCT) re-number the R-44s and R-46s?

-Would the R-179s be viable as 67.5-foot cars (like the BMT Standards or R-110B)?

-Would there be any sense in building cars of 67.5-foot length ever again?Why or why not?

-In about how long should the (C) start running 10-car trains?

-By when are the R-42s expected tu fully retire?

-Would the 2nd Avenue Subway be better as a 4-track (instead) of 2-track line? Do you think that it should have more stations/stations closer together?

-Are the R-68s ever going to run on the (G) (as it has been previously suggested)?

I hope all these questions aren't too annoying.B)

-The R68s ran on Queens Blvd for a short period after their debut as they were tested on the F.

-I believe the R used R32s until they were swapped with the E' R46s. The N probably used R40Ms and R42s.

-The R179s had been revised on the draft to be built as 60 ft trains

-67.5 ft trains are inefficient as one train has 3 "units" instead of 2

-Expect the C to become 10 cars a month after the R42s are gone

-The ENY R42s should be the last to go by early 2010

-The 2nd Avenue is more of an express than a local as it skips major streets until 63rd St. Therefore, I think 2 tracks would be more practical.

-Since there are enough R46s to cover the G and that R46s are easier for OPTO. I would assume no R68As on the G at least until the R46s retire.

The SAS if ever gets built it should be a four track line but it seems it would be only 2 according to current plans. It is a waste to have the stations any closer b/c it slow down the line and leave several stations with low ridership.

The only 67 ft trains in the last 40 yrs are the r110b's but I doubt any future train orders will be anything other than 60ft because of clearance issues, dwell times due to fewer doors with 75ft trains. According to the MTA the r42's should be retired by middle of next year when there are enough r160's in jyd and the final r160's for the L line arrive then its the r32's (budd's) turn. Also there have been talking for a while about the g train switching terminals instead of Jamica then would be based out of coney island and then could run either r68's or r160's. It has been rumored that when they start retiring the budd's and bring r46's but we will have to wait and see what happens

SAS "should" be a 4 track line but there just isn't money enough to make that happen. It's been so long in the making let's just take what we can get at this point, get the thing open with 2 tracks and worry about potential expansions of the line in the future.

-What cars did the ®/(N) use in the late 1980s?

-For how many years did the longest running R1s-R9s run?

-Why did the (NYCT) re-number the R-44s and R-46s?

-Would the R-179s be viable as 67.5-foot cars (like the BMT Standards or R-110B)?

-Would there be any sense in building cars of 67.5-foot length ever again?Why or why not?

-In about how long should the (C) start running 10-car trains?

-By when are the R-42s expected tu fully retire?

-Would the 2nd Avenue Subway be better as a 4-track (instead) of 2-track line? Do you think that it should have more stations/stations closer together?

-Are the R-68s ever going to run on the (G) (as it has been previously suggested)?

I do remember an R68 F train running shortly after the cars were introduced in 1987. It seemed to be a 1 train trial which ran for a short period of time only.

I believe the R44-46's were renumbered to follow the R68A's (5001-5200), which followed the R32-R42's (3348-4949). The renumbering was not done at the time of overhaul but shortly after that as the R142's picked up with 6301 with 6258 the last R46. I don't know why the last 150 R142's were numbered 1101-1250. I believe the last option order was originally supposed to go to Kawasaki for R142A's but still the last 150 R142's should have been numbered 7811-7960. Jamaica yard should not need any R42's or 32's by sometime next month as additional R160's come on board. The remaining R42's in ENY should be retired last as the remaining 4 car R160A's will be the last of the order to be delivered. Jamaica yard ran only R32's and R46's from sometime in the 80's til 2008 when R42's and then R40M's were temporarily brought in as some R32's were retired. The N train ran an assortment of CI cars prior to the arrival of R160's

Heh heh heh. Nowadays, never. Unless something happens, like a switching error. A couple years back I was on a 68/A (Q) train that somehow ended up on Queens Boulevard... ran express to 71 and then went out of service.

Heh heh heh. Nowadays, never. Unless something happens, like a switching error. A couple years back I was on a 68/A (Q) train that somehow ended up on Queens Boulevard... ran express to 71 and then went out of service.

When 9/11 occurred, the first few Q trains operating to Queens were R68s in the emergency before the R's R46s took over. When they found that the R46s still have problems down Brighton, they replaced them with 60 ft SMEEs.

When 9/11 occurred, the first few Q trains operating to Queens were R68s in the emergency before the R's R46s took over. When they found that the R46s still have problems down Brighton, they replaced them with 60 ft SMEEs.

IT wasn't after 9/11. It was only a few years ago, say 2006-07. Ran express on the local.

SAS "should" be a 4 track line but there just isn't money enough to make that happen. It's been so long in the making let's just take what we can get at this point, get the thing open with 2 tracks and worry about potential expansions of the line in the future.

3 tracks would be better because there'd be less disruptions due to pesky GO's and other incidents, like there are on the (L) now. IIRC the original plans were for 3 tracks?

3 tracks would be better because there'd be less disruptions due to pesky GO's and other incidents, like there are on the (L) now. IIRC the original plans were for 3 tracks?

They should've made the L line with a middle track, then it could've ran peak exp service. Between Bedford Av - Broadway Junction.

Archived