Other Depot DL fleet will be tested on?

mark1447

I'd like to see this more in Eastern Bklyn and Queens. Replace the NG's in LAG and whichever other Queens depot gets those, with these, even.

This is from growing up with the fishbowls as the perennial "city" bus. When the ADB's (RTS, Grumman) came out, I came to associate the Grummans with ENY, and the Queens PBL's, (FLA could not have them), and while all depots got RTS's, they reminded me of the airport shuttles, for some reason (perhaps because those are the ones that kept the original look with the slopeback?). And also, the PBL's had them first too, and kept the original look longer.

So my ideal bus assignments would have had stuff like the Classics or NABI Compo 45 in Manhattan, Bx, FLA and JG. We never got those, so the Orion V's were the closest thing to a classic bus feel. With the NG's the new windshield still evokes the RTS a bit (or the Nova LFS, even more), but the way bulkhead sign sticks out evokes the fishbowl. And of course, both the Orion NG and OG has the boxier frame with the flat space above the windows, which are better for the ads than the curved RTS or DL, and it would be nice, new electronic LED ones (basically, new bat wings). The top (openable) part of the windows are even basically evolving back into new standee windows (as the hinge gets thicker and thicker on succeding generations); the mainstay of both old and new looks! (though the DL has this too on some of the windows. I wish they would drop it and stick with the frameless build).

So to me, when I see a NG; it's the closest thing to a classic "bus". Hence, I prefer to see those in the city, and the DL's are basically "NG RTS's" (since Milennium, with the true RTS line, keeps going nowhere), and those should be in the outskirts and airports (how about swapping with the PA's relatively new OG's? Just kidding!)

That too me would also help maintain the novelty of them, which wore off with the RTS's, when they became almost the sole fleet in the entire city.

• 3 weeks later...
Grand Ave does not need those buses. They are getting enough NG's to retire the buses needed to retire:eek:.

More than enough, even. I don't get why GA is getting Designlines when they won't have any buses left to be retired anymore. It would make sense if those buses went to depots that need new ones, i.e. BP (but BP is getting BL Orions so it doesn't matter).

More than enough, even. I don't get why GA is getting Designlines when they won't have any buses left to be retired anymore. It would make sense if those buses went to depots that need new ones, i.e. BP (but BP is getting BL Orions so it doesn't matter).

Thats like asking why is MJQ getting those buses when they are getting another batch of NGs coming their way. While its all about scrapping buses, its about fleet age balance as well, which is why those Orion VIIs from Grand Ave are getting kicked to East New York.

My question is, Why is Manhattanville getting those buses? They will kill them! 1302 was A-OK at MJQ but when it hit Manhattanville, problems have occured left and right! 1304 died on the M4 recently and its back on the road

Archived