Manhattan Bridge Subway Lines to Be Disrupted

Harry

Since it will probably be for weekends onl, as was said (weekdays is only for emergencies or extensive work on the oad), tthen what they have been doing is, northside closed, the (D) runs either to Whitehall, or sometimes they will squeeze it in to 42nd, but this disrupts the (Q).

southside closed, the (N) and (Q) just runs via tunnel. Both sides closed; just a combination of both patterns.

You would think they would have done this while the rest of the work was being done on the bridge. I had thought it was completely finished, Or maybe the snapping of cables on the San Francisco bridge has made them decide to take the precautions.

you guys really need to stop making these crazy service assumptions. i think they are only closing one side of the bridge each weekend. so if the south side is closed, the (N)(Q) will simply run via the Montague Street Tunnel and (D)(R) service will not be affected. If the north side is closed, the (D) will run in two sections; between the Bronx and 34th Street-Herald Square and between Times Square-42nd Street and Brooklyn via Broadway and the bridge's south side. the (N) will run via the tunnel with no interruptions to (R) service and the (Q) will still use the bridge for travel, but run local in Manhattan. A shuttle will run between West 4th Street-Washington and Grand Street. plain and simple!

Winson, everyone is entitled to their own assumptions. You really need to stop considering other peoples' thoughts as stupid. Stop thinking your ideas are the only solutions, it's not. I think these are some good ideas. If you disagree, I understand.

Give other people a chance will you?

By the way, I find this Manhattan Bridge construction phase rather interesting.

i did not call anyone's ideas stupid. i was just saying you people are going a bit too far with what service you want during this replacement project. (NYCT) will announce the service plans and you will just have to deal with it when it happens. if the service changes are not to your liking, what are you going to do? yell at (NYCT) and demand changes?

NO dude, YOU need to stop making people feel stupid. u really need to chill with that. its NOT plain and simple. u think that all your ideas are always perfect meanwhile they're not. u never listen. Plus i dont think u read the article properly. they need to close the bridge on BOTH SIDES. theyre gonna be doing work on BOTH sides of the bridge. which means the (N)(Q) MUST run via the (R) line, and the (D) will have to be split between either 36 St or Pacific St and 34 St herald Sq. so YES the (D)(R) WILL BE AFFECTED. they cant have 4 trains running on the same track. They will have to suspend the (R) because the (N) and (Q) operate on different lines in brooklyn. The (Q) is not gonna terminate at Prospect Park then have shuttle buses run between Prospect Park and Atlantic Av. Thats retarted. Then if they suspend the (N), whats gonna happen to the Astoria Customers? what? wait for a (Q)? while the (R) operates to Forest Hills? Think about it. Astoria line only has 2 lines that operate. The (N)(W). we all kno the (W) only runs weekdays. so that doesnt count, but the (N) is permanent on the Astoria line. therefore the (N) must be kept in service reguardless wheather its runs local or express. The (Q) can run to Forest Hills. it doesnt go pass 57 St/7 Av, so why not extend it? The (R) can be replaced by the (Q), and Queens Blvd Customers can also use the (E)(F)(7) as alternatives. Seriously man, Stop making people feel stupid. thats rude and its not right at all man.

the article does not say whether just one or both sides of the bridge will be shut down together each weekend, so do not slap me in the face like that. besides, if both sides of the bridges are shut down at once, an easy plan can be implemented that will only affect the (D)(N) and (Q).

(D): will run only between the Bronx and 34th Street-Herald Square. A shuttle train will operate on the West End Line between Stillwell Avenue and either or 36th Street or Pacific Street (via 4th Avenue express, depending on West End residents want). Another shuttle train will run between West 4th Street-Washington Square and Grand Streets. If needed, the B51 or free shuttle buses will run between Pacific Street and Grand Street.

(N): runs local along 4th Avenue via the Montague Street Tunnel (which is its current late night service pattern).

(Q): runs via the Montague Street Tunnel, but remains as an express in Manhattan.

With this plan, (R) service will not be interrupted other than the fact it has to run fewer trains to make room for the (N)(Q), but every plan has its drawbacks and riders and railfans will have to deal with it.

you guys really need to stop making these crazy service assumptions.... A shuttle will run between West 4th Street-Washington and Grand Street. plain and simple!

Winson, everyone is entitled to their own assumptions. You really need to stop considering other peoples' thoughts as stupid. Stop thinking your ideas are the only solutions, it's not. I think these are some good ideas. If you disagree, I understand.

Since it will probably be for weekends onl, as was said (weekdays is only for emergencies or extensive work on the oad), tthen what they have been doing is, northside closed, the (D) runs either to Whitehall, or sometimes they will squeeze it in to 42nd, but this disrupts the (Q).

southside closed, the (N) and (Q) just runs via tunnel. Both sides closed; just a combination of both patterns.

You would think they would have done this while the rest of the work was being done on the bridge. I had thought it was completely finished, Or maybe the snapping of cables on the San Francisco bridge has made them decide to take the precautions.

Suspender cables wear faster than the rest of the bridge's structure. The huge variation in live loads, including wind & rain fatigue the metal faster. It's not unsafe right now, but if it can be done, do it sooner rather than wait till it's urgent. New cables should last another 100 years or so. ;)

- A

you guys really need to stop making these crazy service assumptions. i think they are only closing one side of the bridge each weekend. so if the south side is closed, the (N)(Q) will simply run via the Montague Street Tunnel and (D)(R) service will not be affected. If the north side is closed, the (D) will run in two sections; between the Bronx and 34th Street-Herald Square and between Times Square-42nd Street and Brooklyn via Broadway and the bridge's south side. the (N) will run via the tunnel with no interruptions to (R) service and the (Q) will still use the bridge for travel, but run local in Manhattan. A shuttle will run between West 4th Street-Washington and Grand Street. plain and simple!

NO dude, YOU need to stop making people feel stupid. u really need to chill with that. its NOT plain and simple. u think that all your ideas are always perfect meanwhile they're not. u never listen. Plus i dont think u read the article properly. they need to close the bridge on BOTH SIDES. theyre gonna be doing work on BOTH sides of the bridge. which means the (N)(Q) MUST run via the (R) line, and the (D) will have to be split between either 36 St or Pacific St and 34 St herald Sq. so YES the (D)(R) WILL BE AFFECTED. they cant have 4 trains running on the same track. They will have to suspend the (R) because the (N) and (Q) operate on different lines in brooklyn. The (Q) is not gonna terminate at Prospect Park then have shuttle buses run between Prospect Park and Atlantic Av. Thats retarted. Then if they suspend the (N), whats gonna happen to the Astoria Customers? what? wait for a (Q)? while the (R) operates to Forest Hills? Think about it. Astoria line only has 2 lines that operate. The (N)(W). we all kno the (W) only runs weekdays. so that doesnt count, but the (N) is permanent on the Astoria line. therefore the (N) must be kept in service reguardless wheather its runs local or express. The (Q) can run to Forest Hills. it doesnt go pass 57 St/7 Av, so why not extend it? The (R) can be replaced by the (Q), and Queens Blvd Customers can also use the (E)(F)(7) as alternatives. Seriously man, Stop making people feel stupid. thats rude and its not right at all man.

yea man, 100% agreed. nobody's perfect u kno. GIVE THEM A CHANCE!

Like I said on the other page:

N: shuttle to 59th-4th Av

Q: via tunnel to 57-7th [or Astoria Blvd]

R: as is

W: Astoria to CI via tunnel and West End

I know it is biased for West End over Sea Beach riders, but West End has more riders and would be better off with a direct to Midtown line over Sea Beach. imo.

the (W) doesnt operate weekends, although i wish it did. i miss seeing the (W) via West End, lol.

they dont want to add extra trains to run on the weekends, like the (;)(W). idk y, but those can be good for West End or Sea Beach shuttles. Plus, being that Astoria only has 1 permanent line, they dont want to change it. so they gonna end up keeping the (N), and the (Q) doesnt go pass 57 St. why not extend it to Forest Hills to replace the (R)? Plus (R) customers in Queens got the (E)(F) as well as the (7) as alternatives. Queens Blvd Customers got it better than Astoria Customers. dont be surprised if they extend the (G) for that weekend. u kno how crazy the MTA is.

that one weekend when the (M) train was running between Metropolitan Av and Prospect Park was because there was no (4) train between Manhattan and Brooklyn, not forgetting the 9/11 emergency change either where the (M) replaced the (N) in Brooklyn. that was just a one time thing. they'll never run extra trains on weekends unless they change routes permanently again.

I understand they don't want to run more trains, but I don't think West End riders should be shafted with a shuttle and the W would be 'different enough' so that riders won't be confused by a yellow D or 2 D trains in different boroughs.

I don't think the Q should be extended that far into Queens, I still say the Q should be extended to Astoria in place of the N [and I don't mean for this go, i mean it should be changed permanently, but that's another thread].

I understand they don't want to run more trains, but I don't think West End riders should be shafted with a shuttle and the W would be 'different enough' so that riders won't be confused by a yellow D or 2 D trains in different boroughs.

I don't think the Q should be extended that far into Queens, I still say the Q should be extended to Astoria in place of the N [and I don't mean for this go, i mean it should be changed permanently, but that's another thread].

it would be nice for the (Q) to terminate at Astoria Permanently. too bad the (W) is there on Weekdays, and the (N) has already been there for years.

Yeah, personally I would rather the (N) go up the SAS than the (Q) because the (N) is express in Brooklyn and makes the fewest stops there.

I know 116th or such is the last stop on the SAS, but eventually it will be extended either westward or to the Bronx. Also I don't believe the (Q) should go beyond 116th or it will be too long.

Plus (Q) for (Q)ueens has a much better ring to it than for Manhattan or the Bronx ;)

Yeah, personally I would rather the N go up the SAS than the Q because the N is express in Brooklyn and makes the fewest stops there.

I know 116th or such is the last stop on the SAS, but eventually it will be extended either westward or to the Bronx. Also I don't believe the Q should go beyond 116th or it will be too long.

Plus Q for Queens has a much better ring to it than for Manhattan or the Bronx ;)

lol i remember when the (Q6) and (Q) using R68A's and <Q> using R68's used to run to 21 St-Queensbridge, Queens. those were the good days man!!!

Yeah, the only thing is that I was so pissed at how I would see the (:)(D)(Q6) pass by on 34th St before an (F) showed up. That was my main beef with the 3 express lines vs 1 local on 6th Av. I know it made little difference, but I'm loving it now with the more even 2 and 2 service.

yea that was really weird.

6 Av Express (:P(D)(Q6)

6 Av Local (F)

8 Av Express (A)

8 Av Local (C)(E)

Broadway Local (N)(R)

Broadway Express ;)

Lexington Av Express (4)(5)

Lexington Av Local (6)

7 Av Local (1)(9)

7 Av Express (2)(3)

Nassau St Express (J)(Z)

Nassau St Local (M)

lol the (V)(W) didnt exists back then.

Yeah I'm so happy the south side of the bridge is open. For years I would just wonder why the Broadway express tracks were empty. It was very sad to see nothing run there for years. That's why I was very happy post 2001 when the northern side was closed and finally Broadway was busy. ;)

5 trains on the Broadway Line in 2001:

(N)(Q)<Q>(R)(W) lol

Those were good times. I still thought maybe they could've switched the N and the W in Manhattan though. That way the N would have been express for the entire 4th Av segment and most of Broadway and run over the Bridge.

I'm also glad they decided to discontinue the W Astoria Express [but that must've been some record to have an express in all 3 boroughs, besides the D].

Those were good times. I still thought maybe they could've switched the N and the W in Manhattan though. That way the N would have been express for the entire 4th Av segment and most of Broadway and run over the Bridge.

I'm also glad they decided to discontinue the W Astoria Express [but that must've been some record to have an express in all 3 boroughs, besides the D].

lol exactly.

were u around when the Brighton Line used to be the (D)(M)<Q>, then was switched to the (D)(Q6)?

the article does not say whether just one or both sides of the bridge will be shut down together each weekend, so do not slap me in the face like that. besides, if both sides of the bridges are shut down at once, an easy plan can be implemented that will only affect the (D)(N) and (Q).

(D): will run only between the Bronx and 34th Street-Herald Square. A shuttle train will operate on the West End Line between Stillwell Avenue and either or 36th Street or Pacific Street (via 4th Avenue express, depending on West End residents want). Another shuttle train will run between West 4th Street-Washington Square and Grand Streets. If needed, the B51 or free shuttle buses will run between Pacific Street and Grand Street.

(N): runs local along 4th Avenue via the Montague Street Tunnel (which is its current late night service pattern).

(Q): runs via the Montague Street Tunnel, but remains as an express in Manhattan.

With this plan, (R) service will not be interrupted other than the fact it has to run fewer trains to make room for the (N)(Q), but every plan has its drawbacks and riders and railfans will have to deal with it.

the (Q) cant run express because people who wait at Broadway's Local stations will expect direct local service into Queens. they dont want to take the (N) then transfer. plus, its gonna run on the same track as the (N) between 57 St and LExington Av-59 St. might as well keep it local.

Archived