Manhattan Bridge Subway Lines to Be Disrupted

Harry

Ah, I've been on the UES for like almost all my life till 2005. I only ventured out to the other boroughs like around '98 or such. That's why it wasn't till like 2000 that I finally got the idea of the entire layout of the system.

Plus my memory is kinda fuzzy about anything before '95. I dunno why, but it's like the older I am, the more of the past I forget.

Yeah, the only thing is that I was so pissed at how I would see the (;)(D)(Q6) pass by on 34th St before an (F) showed up. That was my main beef with the 3 express lines vs 1 local on 6th Av. I know it made little difference, but I'm loving it now with the more even 2 and 2 service.

Those were the good ole days. No (V) train. The (F) actually went where people wanted to go. The (F) ran much more frequently.

Yeah I'm so happy the south side of the bridge is open. For years I would just wonder why the Broadway express tracks were empty. It was very sad to see nothing run there for years. That's why I was very happy post 2001 when the northern side was closed and finally Broadway was busy. ;)

I knew the Broadway express tracks connected to the Manny B. Around 1991 they briefly restored the (N) express. After the (N) became a permanent local I was so mad. I had no clue that it was done because the Manhattan Bridge had structural issues. The Manhattan Bridge looks so strong and sturdy.

I was discussing this service disruption fiasco on Sunday with my friends. If it turns out that the repairs may have to be done on the weekdays as well and they close the south side of the bridge, something tells me that they're gonna send the (V) train via Brighton! Why? Because it wouldn't make sense to have a (Q6) (resulting in five Sixth Avenue Lines) unless they rename the (V) into the (Q6) for the time being. The only thing is though, Brighton riders want Broadway service because since the 1920s, the line's main riders are from Broadway. The (Q) may be sacrificed temporarily if and only if these repairs expand into the weekday hours, resulting into a bride closure of either side. I wish they would have built a tunnel for the trains back then.

I was discussing this service disruption fiasco on Sunday with my friends. If it turns out that the repairs may have to be done on the weekdays as well and they close the south side of the bridge, something tells me that they're gonna send the (V) train via Brighton! Why? Because it wouldn't make sense to have a (Q6) (resulting in five Sixth Avenue Lines) unless they rename the (V) into the (Q6) for the time being. The only thing is though, Brighton riders want Broadway service because since the 1920s, the line's main riders are from Broadway. The (Q) may be sacrificed temporarily if and only if these repairs expand into the weekday hours, resulting into a bride closure of either side. I wish they would have built a tunnel for the trains back then.

If it expands to weekdays, Im sure the (Q) will run via tunnel to/from Dekalb and Canal, with either the suspension of the (W) entirely, or the (W) turning at Canal St (Upper Level), and no (M) service to/from Bay Pkwy and Broad St; turns at Chambers or Broad during rush hours. The (B) will remain the same. I don't think the (Q) would be scrapped for this sort of construction. The (W) and/or (M) would be severed before the (Q) is touched. Its too valuable of a line.

If it expands to weekdays, Im sure the (Q) will run via tunnel to/from Dekalb and Canal, with either the suspension of the (W) entirely, or the (W) turning at Canal St (Upper Level), and no (M) service to/from Bay Pkwy and Broad St; turns at Chambers or Broad during rush hours. The (B) will remain the same. I don't think the (Q) would be scrapped for this sort of construction. The (W) and/or (M) would be severed before the (Q) is touched. Its too valuable of a line.

IAWTP, the (Q) is a very important line, am I right Zach??? B)

I just wonder if the (N), (Q) and (R) can share the tunnel together during rush hour, because this involves the (N) stopping at DeKalb Avenue after switching from express to the tunnel tracks at Pacific Street and the (Q) switching from its normal bridge tracks to the tunnel tracks as well. It's the timers around the vicinity of the DeKalb interlocking north and south of the station that makes everything seem so slow though. :confused:

In addition, they may have to suspend the (W) because even pushing its southern terminal back to Canal Street is going to be real hectic. At Canal Street, you're going to have the (N), (Q), (R)and (W) share one track (in each direction, of course). The (W) may see a temporary suspension; as a result, just have the (N) and (Q) go to Astoria (weekdays for the (Q) other times it goes to 57th Street) and the (N) operate local in Manhattan.

IAWTP, the (Q) is a very important line, am I right Zach??? B)

I just wonder if the (N), (Q) and (R) can share the tunnel together during rush hour, because this involves the (N) stopping at DeKalb Avenue after switching from express to the tunnel tracks at Pacific Street and the (Q) switching from its normal bridge tracks to the tunnel tracks as well. It's the timers around the vicinity of the DeKalb interlocking north and south of the station that makes everything seem so slow though. :confused:

In addition, they may have to suspend the (W) because even pushing its southern terminal back to Canal Street is going to be real hectic. At Canal Street, you're going to have the (N), (Q), (R)and (W) share one track (in each direction, of course). The (W) may see a temporary suspension; as a result, just have the (N) and (Q) go to Astoria (weekdays for the (Q) other times it goes to 57th Street) and the (N) operate local in Manhattan.

eliminate the (W) would be a good idea. the (N) is eventually gonna run LOCAL from 57 St/7 Av and 59 St/4 Av via the (R) line. now, the (Q) to Astoria via Broadway Exp makes no sense cuz the (Q) still has to run on the same track as the (N)(R) via 60 St. might as well just keep it on the local.

Another idea can be suspending the (V), and have the (R) run via 6 Av-53 St in both directions between Queens Plaza and DeKalb Av.

The (N) can continue to Astoria like it normally does, and the (Q) can operate to Forest Hills via Broadway Local/Tunnel being that Brighton Customers perfer Broadway Service. and maybe the (W) wouldnt be eliminated.

another idea can be suspending the (V), and have the (Q) run via 6 Av-53 St Local as the (Q6) and replace the (V) between Broadway-Lafayette St and Forest Hills, and those who need 2 Av can just take the (F). then let the (N)(R) have the tunnel and the (W) can still operate normal to/from whitehall. these are just ideas. what u guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
another idea can be suspending the (V), and have the (Q) run via 6 Av-53 St Local as the (Q6) and replace the (V) between Broadway-Lafayette St and Forest Hills, and those who need 2 Av can just take the (F). then let the (N)(R) have the tunnel during middays and weekends, and the (W) can still operate normal to/from whitehall. during rush hours, the (W) can operate to/from 95 St with the (R) while the (N) uses the bridge into brooklyn via Broadway Exp. these are just ideas. what u guys think?

had to edit again, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to revive this thread, but I just noticed this weekend, the (D) will be shut down between 34th Street-Herald Square and Pacific Street. Though the brochure says it is for "station improvements," do you think the cable replacement project is part of the G.O.? earlier this month, the bike path on the south side was closed for about a week or so. I still believe they are only workong on one side of the bridge at a time.

We might see the (D) go all the way to Whitehall Middle & turn...

no last stop in Pacific Street. no point in sending it down Montague Street to Whitehall.

That's not fun, the (D)'s playing splitsville. Well I think it's the reason you brought up, to improve the cables on the bridge. I wonder why the (N)(Q) get to run on the Bridge still why the (D) does not.

Work is probably going on the north side.

Hate to revive this thread, but I just noticed this weekend, the (D) will be shut down between 34th Street-Herald Square and Pacific Street. Though the brochure says it is for "station improvements," do you think the cable replacement project is part of the G.O.? earlier this month, the bike path on the south side was closed for about a week or so. I still believe they are only workong on one side of the bridge at a time.

It happens every year...

- Routine check up on the span (ie decks, cables, wires, etc)

- possible repaint on the columns since it has been hit with graffiti every year.

It happens every year...

- Routine check up on the span (ie decks, cables, wires, etc)

- possible repaint on the columns since it has been hit with graffiti every year.

Not to mention that this G.O. was in place earlier this year.

Archived