R179 route display...

dmouse

Did it occur to anyone that the R179s won't be able to display "Tottenvile", or "St George ferry Terminal"?

you know, because the route display on the NTT front only displays the line letter, like on the R160 enclosed in a red ring.

What do you think they'll do???:confused:

They'll most likely leave it blank, and have people actually READ for once, and see what their destination is by looking on the flickering side signs.

Hmm... don't think so... you might be right, but the R179 doesn't have to be exactly like the R160. I'm sure the builders have thought of placing something that represents the line.

You know, we dont even know how the R179 looks and we are jumping into conclusions again, Which leads to flames by others.. Not me of course... We are still dealing with the R160s.. Lets just wait and see.. Besides im not caring much of the R179 right now, first dealing with the R32/42 vs. R160 replacement.. There i say R160 replacing em..

imagine the announcements:

"This is a Tottenville-bound Staten Island Railway Train. The Next Stop is Grasmere."...."Stand Clear Of the closing doors, Please"

...or....

"This is a Tottenville-bound train. The Next Stop is Clifton." ...."Stand Clear Of the closing doors, Please."

...or...

This is the train to Tottenville. The Next stop is Eltingville"...."Stand Clear Of the closing doors, Please."

Lets not speculate and create furthur confusion of the R-179's as well as the R-188's. It is too early to tell what will happen, perhaps the train won't even be produced like the R-39's and R-55's. So cool off, sit back and relax and enjoy your ride, ;)!
He`s right they haven`t even been designed yet and besides let they R44`s stay another 20years I dont mind at all:)

Lets not speculate and create furthur confusion of the R-179's as well as the R-188's. It is too early to tell what will happen, perhaps the train won't even be produced like the R-39's and R-55's. So cool off, sit back and relax and enjoy your ride, ;)!

IAWTP!

We have NO IDEA what they will be like ... it is still up in the air on whether they will even be 75 or 60 ft long. Last time around, the R-44s were essentially the same cars ordered for the rest of the NYCTS considering that SIRTOA was only just acquired by the MTA and was still running aging B&O cars. We already know that the SIR R-44 are going to be replaced with a new car order which will in all likelihood be tailored to the needs of the SIR even if it is similar to w/e NYCT decides on. The least of which will probably include a display similar to that of the PATH PA-5 cars on the front to display a full name since there is obviously no need for a circle or diamond route letter there.

How about we wait and see what happens......There has not been any official word about an R179 order or if an R179 will even be made so dont get your hopes up.....yet.....

Agreed! Other than that they are to retire the R44's, I really don't care much about the 'R179's'*

*if it is a 75' car and if it's still under this option order.

Agreed! Other than that they are to retire the R44's, I really don't care much about the 'R179's'*

*if it is a 75' car and if it's still under this option order.

It also might be more R160s, who knows, lets just wait and see!

I really wish all 160/143/142's (H)ad 110 colored destination signs instead of the boring (2)red LED or it least color LED Yellow for (Q) or (F) orange you get the idea. (K)<R>

I agree completely! If the R160s had the front like the R110Bs, that would have been crazy hot

• 4 weeks later...

Why does it even matter? At St. George, all trains will be headed towards Tottenville and vice versa. On game days at RCB Ballpark, some trains will go to the stadium, if that is where you want to go, get on a train and hope it does. If it terminates at St George, get out and take a walk (or the S40 bus) to the stadium. As for intra-island transport, trains, like cars are driven on the right, so I cannot see how it is hard to tell which platform to stand on to get a northbound or southbound train.

I know there is express service and some trains terminate at Great Kills, but that can simply be indicated on the side signs. In any case, unless you are going to a stop which isn't served by an express train, it doesn't matter what train you get on.

Why does it even matter? At St. George, all trains will be headed towards Tottenville and vice versa. On game days at RCB Ballpark, some trains will go to the stadium, if that is where you want to go, get on a train and hope it does. If it terminates at St George, get out and take a walk (or the S40 bus) to the stadium. As for intra-island transport, trains, like cars are driven on the right, so I cannot see how it is hard to tell which platform to stand on to get a northbound or southbound train.

I know there is express service and some trains terminate at Great Kills, but that can simply be indicated on the side signs. In any case, unless you are going to a stop which isn't served by an express train, it doesn't matter what train you get on.

1. Some might not want to walk or take the bus. Isn't that the whole point of the Ballpark train?:D

2. There are people who don't read anything except a bullet.:mad::mad::mad:

1. Some might not want to walk or take the bus. Isn't that the whole point of the Ballpark train?;)

The walk from St George to Ballpark is so short it shouldn't matter, but nothing I can do about that (people wanting the train). Maybe they should just listen for announcements of ask the conductor if the train is going to ballpark.

2. There are people who don't read anything except a bullet.:mad::mad::mad:

I fancy that the only people who ride the SIR are regulars (who know where it's going), and railfans, who I would advise to plan their trip in advance. In any case, if I was riding a train just for fun, I wouldn't bother if the train ended up at Great Kills instead of Tottenville; it's not like I have to go to the southern terminal to enjoy the ride.

AFAIK, the only trains which terminate at Great Kills are locals during the rush hour when express trains run to Tottenville. You can always wait on the platform for the next train Tottenville anyway. It might actually be worth going to the southern terminal since there are two stations (Nassau and Atlantic) which are soon to be closed and the only stations which were not renovated and still have hand painted signs and the like. I believe only one car or set of doors open at those stations.

AFAIK, the only trains which terminate at Great Kills are locals during the rush hour when express trains run to Tottenville. You can always wait on the platform for the next train Tottenville anyway. It might actually be worth going to the southern terminal since there are two stations (Nassau and Atlantic) which are soon to be closed and the only stations which were not renovated and still have hand painted signs and the like. I believe only one car or set of doors open at those stations.

Apparently Nassau does have a full length (4 car) platform, only at Atlantic does the last car only align with the platform. There is, according to the schedule, only a 3 minute wait for the express to catch up to the local at Great Kills, so a transfer is always possible. It might even make sense, for people wanting local stops, to take the express to Great Kills and then transfer to a St. George-bound local train, to save time.

It might be worth going down to the southern stations, but given their dilapidated conditions (from pictures I've seen on the web), I would rather avoid them and take a train to the Arthur Kill Road station when it opens.

Archived