RR Museum of LI Starts Restoration of LIRR Hack

Anthony RMLI

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

It may of been Halloween today but the work did not stop at the Railroad Museum of Long Island in Riverhead. We got a a coat of Orange paint onto Former Long Island Railroad Baywindow Caboose C-68. She has not gotten any TLC in a while, so I took on the project to repaint her.

She got one coat today, to cover up all her rust stops and get her ready for winter. In the spring after she has weatherd a little 2 more coats will be applied along with a coat on the roof. Then the detail work and lettering. She will be ready for 2010 museum patrons in late April, ready to tell her story as she has been for so many years, just in fresh as-deliverd paint.

We were also lucky enough to have a crew working on preparing our machine for paint.

So much has gotten done this year, and it is all thanks to our volunteers! I don't think I have ever seen so much work go on at one time......3 Railroad Cars painted and a soon a building. Not bad if you ask me.

Anthony

Railroad Museum of Long Island

100_0263_732x549.jpg

BEFORE

100_0486_732x549.jpg

AFTER

100_0481_732x549.jpg

100_0484_732x549.jpg

100_0488_732x549.jpg

100_0489_732x549.jpg

The second project of the day below, with it's own crew

100_0492_732x549.jpg

100_0494_732x549.jpg

@Anthony RLMI:

So, how many cabooses do you have?

And 60 is the Museum one, and what is the New One supposed to be numbered?

Hi AWWang,

The Railroad Museum of Long Island owns two hacks, the recently painted one and a wooden caboose

-Long Island Railroad Baywindow Caboose C-68, In Riverhead

-Long Island Railroad Wooden Couplea caboose 14, In Greenport

The Twin Forks Chapter of the NRHS actully owns the caboose at the Transit museum. The 2 groups work so close together it is like everyone owns it all B)

-Long Island Railroad Flatside Caboose C-60, In The Transit Museum on loan

-Long Island Railroad Baywindow Caboose C-63, In Riverhead

-Long Island Railroad Baywindow Caboose C-63, In Riverhead

-Long Island Railroad Steel Coupla Caboose 1, In Hicksville

Thanks for your intrest,

Anthony

Wheres the Hicksville one? is it near that NY&A Facility on West John Street?

Yes, that would be correct. It is thankfully behind a fence with NYA cars. When we moved 60 into the city, she seemed ok.(The last time I saw her)

We want to move her to Riverhead oneday. But she has truck problems and the FRA won't let an MP-15 move her, so for now we are gald she is save at NYA behind a fence. I think you can see her from the road actully.

Cab1.jpg

Anthony

Yes, that would be correct. It is thankfully behind a fence with NYA cars. When we moved 60 into the city, she seemed ok.(The last time I saw her)

We want to move her to Riverhead oneday. But she has truck problems and the FRA won't let an MP-15 move her, so for now we are gald she is save at NYA behind a fence. I think you can see her from the road actully.

Cab1.jpg

Anthony

Yea you can, if their fence isnt closed. That area I dont think Ive ever seen anything there besides the caboose and some gravel things, its supposedly an Inter-Modal facility, but yet Truck traffic reigns supreme in this neck of the woods.

Theres also a similar thing in Farmingdale near the former Republic stop

Thanks for the info Anthony, it'll come in handy... Call me Kevin, :P!

One more question: Is the two LIRR Baywindows located in the same place in Riverhead?

My Pleasure Kevin. Glad to be able to help and answer your question.

The two hacks are indeed right next each other in Riverhead, infact coupled together. 60 use to be with them before she went into Brooklyn.

Here is a photo of the two hacks being stuffed back into the sideing after taking 60 off and putting her on the main to go to the museum back in April. The second picture shows there general location, right before the move.

101_0460.jpg

101_0406.jpg

Anthony

Yes it is! It is now in the NYC Transit Museum for an undetermined amount! The C63, and C64 are owned by Twin Forks NRHS as well as C60, and see no means of any restoration in them as they are currently used for our work hacks for other things related to Twin Forks! Anthony as a part of the effort will be organizing the stuff inside them as the winter progresses! Being that it is winter time, inside restoration efforts will commence! Of coarse if it gets too cold, work will seize until it gets warmer! C68 just needed some primer, and now paint, but the inside is still in good conditon, so no major work was needed since it was totally restored back in 2005! I unfortunately with work during the weekends can only do 1 more volunteer effort (this weekend coming up) due to work shift changes. But will do whatever is possible if anything can done during weekdays and such. The Museum is now closed to the Public until April!

Yes it is! It is now in the NYC Transit Museum for an undetermined amount! The C63, and C64 are owned by Twin Forks NRHS as well as C60, and see no means of any restoration in them as they are currently used for our work hacks for other things related to Twin Forks! Anthony as a part of the effort will be organizing the stuff inside them as the winter progresses! Being that it is winter time, inside restoration efforts will commence! Of coarse if it gets too cold, work will seize until it gets warmer! C68 just needed some primer, and now paint, but the inside is still in good conditon, so no major work was needed since it was totally restored back in 2005! I unfortunately with work during the weekends can only do 1 more volunteer effort (this weekend coming up) due to work shift changes. But will do whatever is possible if anything can done during weekdays and such. The Museum is now closed to the Public until April!

Well, Riverhead is still open every Saturday until November 21st and Greenport is open the first weekend of december for the 2 day Santa Trains.

Kevin,

60(orange hack) started off like the two yellows ones. Infact when we got all 3 they looked like they were ready to go to the scraper with all the vandalism on them. Someday they will all look new ;)

Anthony

Archived