Shocking bus fuss over texting driver

CPBO

By CYNTHIA R. FAGEN

Last Updated: 5:18 AM, November 1, 2009

Posted: 3:31 AM, November 1, 2009

A city bus driver caught red-handed texting on his cellphone while driving with one hand is under investigation by transit officials.

A frightened front-seat passenger on the X5 express bus from Manhattan to Staten Island on Thursday snapped the distracted driver maneuvering through heavy traffic on the FDR Drive and the Gowanus Expressway while allegedly composing at least three text messages.

The alarming photo surfaced just before the statewide ban on driving while texting went into effect today.

The bus driver was not identified, but transit spokesman Charles Seaton said a probe is under way. Bus drivers are not permitted to talk or text on their cellphones while they are behind the wheel, Seaton said.

Courtesy of Staten Island Advance

WTF R U DOING? A passenger took pictures of this MTA bus driver allegedly texting behind the wheel.

Under the new law, anyone caught texting can be fined $150. Listening to an iPod or using a hands-free phone is legal.

Text-messaging while driving has resulted in almost 100 teen deaths over the last five years in the city and on Long Island, according to federal Department of Transportation data.

Seventeen other states ban texting for all drivers and another nine for new drivers only.

I am shocked this type of thing took so long to surface.......I see this type of thing everyday.....and wonder....wow that guy/girl is playing with fire!!

At least it wasn't our Knight Rider behind that wheel! ;) :cool:

I didn't know that listening to an iPod is legal. It kinda serves as a distraction when you're trying to focus on the road but you have music blasting in your ears.

This B/O will most likely get fired over this, make an example out of him, what an idiot. I bet the texting was about nothing important as usual. Yes, you need to carry a cell phone BUT use it for emergencies only.

Some people may criticize the passenger who took that pic but she did the right thing, as she said that at one time the bus was drifting towards the other traffic lane.

I didn't know that listening to an iPod is legal. It kinda serves as a distraction when you're trying to focus on the road but you have music blasting in your ears.

(N)ot on my (W)atch ,I realize I have massive responsabilities keeping all of my passengers safe:cool:

Some people can better focus with music.

- A

Archived