Will the (2)&(5) lines receive R62A's, & will the (7) Line Receive R142s &/or R142As?

r40s 4501

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasnt joking! What is he, the brother of R40, the one who doesnt make sense? Please..

LOL!!!!!!

I don't see how (2) line could have R62As since it swap cars w/ the (5) but it could work.

It could work, but then the problem will arise as to what train will be leaving the station next, especially since there are only two tracks, and the station has side platforms instead of an island platform, not to mention that once a train enters the station, it'll have to leave and it didn't even get cleaned yet. Even if that problem is curbed, then there will be trouble changing the signs at the terminal from (2) to (5) and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
It could work, but then the problem will arise as to what train will be leaving the station next, especially since there are only two tracks, and the station has side platforms instead of an island platform, not to mention that once a train enters the station, it'll have to leave and it didn't even get cleaned yet. Even if that problem is curbed, then there will be trouble changing the signs at the terminal from (2) to (5) and vice versa.

Let me throw this hypothetical out there...

IIRC, the R-62/62A cars have to get mid-life refurbs. When the B Division R-44 and R-46 cars were refurbished in 1989-1990, the side roll signs were replaced with electronic LCD destination signs.

If the only issue regarding R-62s on the (2) and (5) is changing the destination signs, then replacing the roll signs with electronic signs when the cars go through refurbs (which, despite having been built in 1983, has not been scheduled in the current MTA 2010-2014 Capital Program) shouldn't be an issue. After all, as noted, they did that with the R-44 and R-46 cars.

Now, if there are other issues with respect to operations at Flatbush, then that's a different story.

Still, with 123 new cars for the IRT due as part of future service expansions related to the (7)/<7> extension to the West Side and additional service on the (1)(2)(3), the R-142 issue could become a moot point.

But, that's probably the most fun thing about being a railfan in New York. The speculation alone at least attacts a lot of interest...

Let me throw this hypothetical out there...

IIRC, the R-62/62A cars have to get mid-life refurbs. When the B Division R-44 and R-46 cars were refurbished in 1989-1990, the side roll signs were replaced with electronic LCD destination signs.

If the only issue regarding R-62s on the (2) and (5) is changing the destination signs, then replacing the roll signs with electronic signs when the cars go through refurbs (which, despite having been built in 1983, has not been scheduled in the current MTA 2010-2014 Capital Program) shouldn't be an issue. After all, as noted, they did that with the R-44 and R-46 cars.

That's the thing though...there will never be another General Overhaul because that program refurbished the cars that went through deferred maintenance in the 1980s. With the new scheduled maintenance system, there is no need for overhaul. I do agree that the R62s should get LED signs installed though.

But they won't be able to do that without a total refurb, because (at least they told me) they don't have any extra coupler pins for a trainline sign system.

I'd be curious to see the schematic for the coupler pins...anyone got the technical manual?

That would be cool if you could dig something up on that. I knew either you or INDman would have something on it/know where to get it. If that failed, Jeff probably has it memorized, lol.

I think Subwayguy should be able to get something with out much trouble. Now if you want tech stuff on R33s and R36s, boy do we have a stash of stuff.

Archived