Why didn't the E ever use R46s?

lilbluefoxie

They never used them regularly though

You weren't born yet. I took them to school regularly in the 80s and in the 90s they were swapped out with the R32s. When I rode them they still had the blue stripe and some still had the graffitti. The numbers were still original. I remember car 586 had the best looking burner on it when it showed up on monday morning back in '86. The paper roll signs were always screwed up. wrong signs in most of the cars. (N), (E), (F), (G).

You weren't born yet. I took them to school regularly in the 80s and in the 90s they were swapped out with the R32s. When I rode them they still had the blue stripe and some still had the graffitti. The numbers were still original. I remember car 586 had the best looking burner on it when it showed up on monday morning back in '86. The paper roll signs were always screwed up. wrong signs in most of the cars. (N), (E), (F), (G).

ive seen photos of old signs where they dont even bother to set them right, usually the side ones are busted or in the old 50s style, and those early slants where its just set to white or the sign is missing entirely

They swapped them when they realized "hay teh touristststs seem to be using the (E) moar than the (F)". Seriously though, ridership pattern studies lead to the change, which i'm glad happened, i like those large capacity cars when i go to roosevelt island especially w/ people following me.

- A

They never used them regularly though

(E) used R46 trains exclusively from 1980 to 1990. They were switched to R32 in 1990 when the R46s were being rebuilt. In the 1980s, it was rare to find anything other than an R46 on either the (E) or (F) Queens express lines.

The official reason for the R46 not being favored on the (E) is dwell times in stations. The (MTA) claims that the (E), as a very crowded line, should use 60 foot trains. So it was R32 for year after year, then R42 and R42M, and now R160s.

Oh yes they have. in the 90s (and 80s i think), the R32s were on the (F). In like 1998 they swapped cars..

In the 1990s the (F) was mostly R46, the (E) and (F) swapped cars for a few weeks with the (F) getting the R32s but that didn't last long and the R32s went back to the (E). It was the 1980s when both (E) and (F) were exclusively R46 and the R32s were locals.

Would have loved to see slants on the (E) over the (C).

IAWTP.

as a queens resident and regular rider of the (E) the (E) was at its best with 46s and in fact the first line to use the rebuilt 46s in 1990 followed by the (R) and (G)

Anything without junk looks good on any line.

I couldn't agree any more. Give the R160s the boot and put R46s on the (E)! Lol

No way! R32s are more of the (E) while R46 is more of the (F)! Bring back everything how it was!!! Tho I did like seeing some R32s running out of Culver line more of a nicer view!

as a queens resident and regular rider of the (E) the (E) was at its best with 46s and in fact the first line to use the rebuilt 46s in 1990 followed by the (R) and (G)

I agree. Best with R46. R46 is just a nicer train, IMO, than R160, though R160 may function better. What you associate with the (E) is how long you've been riding the line. Most of the folks in the 14-20 age range associate the (E) with R32s. But those that rode the (E) in the 1970s and 1980s associate it with different cars, the peak being the (E) running all R46s in the 1980s, especially once the (MTA) cleaned them up and rebuilt them. I associate (E) with R1-R9s, the R38s...the R38s feel more like real (E)s than R32s because R32s were Brighton "new" in the mid 1960s trains, SLANTS as the (F) then (E) featured these RADICALLY different looking trains (at least from the front), then R44s and R46s. R32s always felt like (very dated) replacement trains that long overstayed their service on the (E). Now the (E) seems rather generic with the commonly found R160s. I wouldn't mind seeing the (E) go R179 when they come out, but the R160s are so updated R42s and not really interesting, that I'm not sure that R179s will be so different. This era of new trains is downright boring compared to the era of new trains from 1965-1975. Right now R44s-R68s have the nicest overall feel IMO.

In the summer of 1980 we had:

(E) R46 112 cars; R44 48 cars; R32 Brightliner 20 cars and R10 40 cars;

(F) R46 120 cars; R44 48 cars; R32 Brightliner 20 cars and R10 60 cars;

70(GG) R10 88 cars;

(N) R46 80 cars; R32 Brightliner 200 cars.

By Autumn 1995 we had:

(E) R32 Brightliner 220 cars

(F) R46 400 cars

(G) R46 72 cars

(R) R46 184 cars; R32 Brightliner 30 cars.

On a side note:

The (D) ran 96 R44 cars; 180 R40M/R42 mix and 40 R32 Brightliner cars in the summer of 1980. The 70(AA) and (:) ran 160 R38 cars and 96 R42 cars. The (A)? 240 R40 Slants and 104 R46s and the 70(CC)? 138 R46s and 80 R10s.

Archived