6 Years ago today 11/3/03

R33WF

Last Run World's Fair R33/R36 cars made their last run in revenue service on the morning of 11/3/2003, with cars (E)9564-9565-9309-9582-9583-9584-9585-9617-9616-9587-9586(W). Left Time sq at 10;30AM making Local stops to Willets Point Shea Stadium (7)

Red=scrap

green= still around

lol i have a copy of this article on my wall at home

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2003/09/21/2003-09-21_end_of_line_for_redbird_subw.html

END OF LINE FOR REDBIRD SUBWAY CARS

BY PETE DONOHUE DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, September 21th 2003, 7:13AM

Bye, Bye Birdie.

The last of the Redbirds, built for the 1964 World's Fair, will soon be taken off the rails.

Only 88 of the subway cars - making up eight trains - still pick up passengers on the Flushing line. They will be retired by mid-October, and will join more than 1,100 others that have been dumped off the Atlantic coast to create artificial reefs.

The Redbirds are being replaced by high-tech, stainless steel cars built by Kawasaki and Bombardier.

Although still chugging along strong, the car bodies are rusting away.

"The Redbirds did a great job serving New Yorkers for more than four decades," Transit Authority President Lawrence Reuter said. "Though they have been a New York City icon, they are being replaced with a new generation of subway car that gives up the nostalgia factor for increased reliability and an overall more pleasant riding experience."

What became known as the Redbirds because of their color are a series of car models that were built in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

The last of the bunch were ordered for the World's Fair in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens - featuring large side windows to offer fairgoers vistas of the fairgrounds and all their glory as the trains approached on the No. 7 line, TA spokesman Charles Seaton said.

Originally, the cars were blue-and-cream colored. They were painted red in the 1980s during a war against graffiti, he said.

They are the last of the painted passenger trains, and the last to have tear-shaped metal grab holds - which came after straps made of nonmetallic materials that gave birth to the term "straphanger."

It's the end of an era, and not just for subway buffs, said Clifton Hood, history professor and author of "722 Miles: The Building of the Subways and How They Transformed New York."

"It may be a point of nostalgia for someone who went to Coney Island with his family on one, or maybe went on his first date on one," Hood said. "But by the same token, the new cars are going to have some meaning to a kid 50 or 60 years from now."

The rattling Redbirds once ran on all the numbered lines. In more recent history, a Redbird on the No. 7 line that goes to Shea Stadium was decorated with Mets blue and orange for the 2000 Subway Series against the Yankees.

It was a sad day indeed for railfans that day. I wish I could have been on that last ride. But I'm more than happy that I rode the Slants on their last day after waiting for a long hour for that consist, and I'll be there when thelater car classes retire.

I miss my Redbirds :P ! Always ride them, seeing the railfan windows and even changing the roll signs.. [Thats back then anyways.. when i was young]. Yup great time. Use to always ride on the (2)(7)! Sometimes on the (4)(5)(6)! The last time i rode it on the (5) was in like 2002 from 86th to 42nd st and took the (7) R33/36 there and the last time for the (4) was from 149th to Burnside via Exp in 2001/2002. (2) was in 2001 (6) about the same time..

The (2)(4)(5)(6)(7) isnt the same as much especially the (7)! But ill always ride them thru the TOMC and nostalgia rides!

• 2 weeks later...
Last Run World's Fair R33/R36 cars made their last run in revenue service on the morning of 11/3/2003, with cars (E)9564-9565-9309-9582-9583-9584-9585-9617-9616-9587-9586(W). Left Time sq at 10;30AM making Local stops to Willets Point Shea Stadium (7)

Red=scrap

green= still around

Didn't notice till now; interesting that they have a consecutive number set from 9582-7.

Archived