Jaywalking Bronx Man struck, killed by a City Bus

ciboii22

A bronx man was struck and killed when he tried to cross a busy street infront of an oncoming city bus , police said yesterday . Luis rivera , 22 , was crossing midbock when he was crushed by a BX21 bus heading north on boston road in tremont at 10:30 pm saturday police said . Rivera was about 75 feet from the cross walk when he tried to dart across boston road , witness told police . The bus driver who has a clean driving record and was not drunk - told cops that he did not see rivera but felt a bump underneath the left side of his bus and stopped immediately . When the driver stepped outside , he found a bleeding rivera sprawled on the asphalt . The pedestrian who lived nearby was killed instantly police said . The driver was not charged with any wrong doing police said .

Anytime I hear about this kind of stuff is just sends shivers thru my body.....poor guy that try to cross the street and I feel for the driver....his driving career is over because of the acts of someone else......:tdown:

Loll nope he think he had bumpers on his body so he took his time and jus got hit like a stupid idiot . Ii walk fast and yesterday ii almost got hit by the b74 so ii ran accross the street and the driver was goin like 50 or 60 down mermaid ave so ii reported the driver cuz ii had got off his bus nd it was # 5109 the one wit orange light$

Not again.

I remember the last year's which month incident, woman was struck by M86 at mid-block also on 86th St.

Especially on huge street like Boston Rd, Eastchester Rd, Gun Hill Rd, they should not (J)-cross.

Also many of Nassau-Suffolk Counties need to have crosswalk in middle also, especially I had hard time crossing on Montauk Highway at Bay Shore.

Anytime I hear about this kind of stuff is just sends shivers thru my body.....poor guy that try to cross the street and I feel for the driver....his driving career is over because of the acts of someone else......:tdown:

He's not going to lose his job, because he had little to no control over the other man's actions and he adhered to the situation in a professional manner. This goes for the same when it comes to 12-9s as well. He'll just be required to take leave for a while. Not suspended, but just take leave.

This wasn't a careless jaywalker. The man was throwing objects at the bus since it was Halloween. I won't go as far as saying it was karma, but the man contributed to his own demise.

So there is more to this story then. He was 22 and doing stupid things like this? It wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a criminal record. My sympathy goes to the B/O.

Loll nope he think he had bumpers on his body so he took his time and jus got hit like a stupid idiot . Ii walk fast and yesterday ii almost got hit by the b74 so ii ran accross the street and the driver was goin like 50 or 60 down mermaid ave so ii reported the driver cuz ii had got off his bus nd it was # 5109 the one wit orange light$

There is no way to do 50-60 on Mermaid Ave. I do b74 every week and even at night 30 is top speed. You reported him ? to whom ? Dispatcher on Stilwell ?

Did you cross the street on green light ?

The bus has made a full recovery :)

Hm....someone run over.....wow.

LMAO im sorry im not laughing at the situation,Im laughing at your responses.But serious may the guy rest in peace.Hopefully people start looking before crossing like their Mama taught them.

I am not surprised that this accident happened unfortunately many more will happen in the future,in todays fast paced environment many idiot jaywalkers are going to try to beat the oncoming traffic,if this guy was throwing objects at the bus as well then he paid the unfortunate price,the price of his life.I always wait for the light and i try not to jaywalk i believe in some point or another we all have jaywalked and sometimes it takes an unfortunate accident like this to realize and open peoples minds a little bit more and ofcourse people will still jaywalk after this is all said and done.

I am not surprised that this accident happened unfortunately many more will happen in the future,in todays fast paced environment many idiot jaywalkers are going to try to beat the oncoming traffic,if this guy was throwing objects at the bus as well then he paid the unfortunate price,the price of his life.I always wait for the light and i try not to jaywalk i believe in some point or another we all have jaywalked and sometimes it takes an unfortunate accident like this to realize and open peoples minds a little bit more and ofcourse people will still jaywalk after this is all said and done.
You`re right about that but heck its a force of habit for most of us,and unfortunately some of us can`t afford to miss work.

I don't think CPBO meant his career is over. His B/O career is, as he will be mopping and sweeping floors for the remainder of his career. 1st MTA does find a way to fire you (cause you are now a liability), but when they can't they put you on cleaning duties, no matter if the person who got b!tch smacked by the bus, deserved to or not. Why? Cause you are a liability. You go out, and have another incident like that, a lawyer will say that driver did it before, it's the drivers fault, MTA let them back out after the 1st incident, MTA is incompetent, cha-ching, cha-ching, the lawyer, jury, and dead persons family go.............

With a 12-9, the train can't swerve to not hit a person. They figure with a bus, you can do an evasive maneuver, even though that is a no - no as you can injure those on the bus...........

I don't think CPBO meant his career is over. His B/O career is, as he will be mopping and sweeping floors for the remainder of his career. 1st MTA does find a way to fire you (cause you are now a liability), but when they can't they put you on cleaning duties, no matter if the person who got b!tch smacked by the bus, deserved to or not. Why? Cause you are a liability. You go out, and have another incident like that, a lawyer will say that driver did it before, it's the drivers fault, MTA let them back out after the 1st incident, MTA is incompetent, cha-ching, cha-ching, the lawyer, jury, and dead persons family go.............

With a 12-9, the train can't swerve to not hit a person. They figure with a bus, you can do an evasive maneuver, even though that is a no - no as you can injure those on the bus...........

wow thats f'd up

wow thats f'd up

Yeah, totally f'd up. So if somebody is running trying to cross the street in front of your bus, the B/O is supposed to swerve into oncoming traffic or into parked cars/mounting the sidewalk causing a lot more injuries/deaths?:confused:

I heard that the policy(MTA Bus) is termination no demotions if you have an accident that killed someone whether or not it was your fault. Correct me if I am wrong.

Archived