Kosciuszko rehab gets green light

Harry

Despite a red light in funding from the governor early this month, the state is moving forward with the much-anticipated project to replace the Kosciuszko Bridge, officials said.

The state Department of Transportation will be forced to make a number of budget cuts after Gov. Paterson deemed its five-year capital program too expensive, but plans to replace the 70-year-old span will not be halted, an agency spokesman said.

The $25.8 billion capital package allocated $403.9 million for the first construction phase of the new Kosciuszko Bridge, with 80% paid for by the feds.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/11/03/2009-11-03_kosciuszko_rehab_gets_green_light.html#ixzz0VoU8xbSz

post-1-133288581108_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581108_thumb.jpg

When heading towards Brooklyn I avoid the Kosciuszko bridge and instead go over the Pulaski bridge which goes into McGuiness Blvd into the BQE. Going eastbound it is better to take the service road under the BQE and then get on the ramp to the BQE where the Kosciuszko bridge begins.

They are going to need those extra lanes on the new bridge, a lot of truck traffic on the BQE.

When heading towards Brooklyn I avoid the Kosciuszko bridge and instead go over the Pulaski bridge which goes into McGuiness Blvd into the BQE. Going eastbound it is better to take the service road under the BQE and then get on the ramp to the BQE where the Kosciuszko bridge begins.

They are going to need those extra lanes on the new bridge, a lot of truck traffic on the BQE.

too many lights on mcguiness, I as a truck driver have to worry about d.o.t setting up truck inspections near the entrace to the b.q.e on mcguiness and meeker, I'd rather sit on that horrific traffic.

but i'm happy to see a new bridge going up.

That new bridge looks a lot better than the current eyesore. I remember back in the day before they paved the deck of the bridge. Cars used to make a grinding noise when it went over the bridge.

I thought that grinding sound was pretty cool though. I actually preferred that over the paved road.

Anyways, finally a new bridge at last!

Archived