R1/R9 coming in December 2009

mark1447

I should be excited about this but I'm not. If the R1-9's were going to run somewhere else along the B Division, then I'd be hyped up about it but it's pretty much expected to run on the (V) and like many of you, I'm tired of if being there. Plus, I'd rather ride the TOMC this time out than the R1-9's. I still dig the R1-9's but we need more than that or at least a change of scenery. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Agreed! Even if they want to preserve the TOMC, well some of the TOMC fleets is old enough for a ride.. R12/R15/R17 and the original R33 Worlds Fair. As far as the Arnies move em to another line, idc if the (V) line goes thru shopping centers for the holidays.. Other routes too and the (A) would be perfect for example..

They relay the train at CTL, correct? Assuming that's true, why do they fumigate at QP? Are the Arnines viewed as that much of a liability?

No the train discharges at QB, then relays on the middle track just north of the station.

Agreed! Even if they want to preserve the TOMC, well some of the TOMC fleets is old enough for a ride.. R12/R15/R17 and the original R33 Worlds Fair. As far as the Arnies move em to another line, idc if the (V) line goes thru shopping centers for the holidays.. Other routes too and the (A) would be perfect for example..

If they really care about the Arnies rolling aroung Herald Square that much, then they can put them on the (W), a line that doesn't run on the weekend either. You may get even more people out to see it since it's along one of the busiest subway routes for the tourists, but that's just me.

If they really care about the Arnies rolling aroung Herald Square that much, then they can put them on the (W), a line that doesn't run on the weekend either. You may get even more people out to see it since it's along one of the busiest subway routes for the tourists, but that's just me.

So does the (:). Tho if were to run on the (W) then they can't do it if trains are rerouted over the Bridge for a G/O.. Its been lately like that on the weekends.

Whoops. Guess that's what happens when you listen to the foamers.

Hey it happens even to the best of us.

The R1/9 train runs on the (V) line because it runs closest to 5th Ave, the main shopping area in the city. That and it stops at 34th Street and 47-50th Street. The R1/9 does not bring in money by selling tickets, it gets the MTA noticed by tourists who are in the city during the holiday season. If you don't like that it run the same route every year, the shut up and don't ride. If you don't ride, no money is lost and there is more room for the rest of us to enjoy the trip. The MTA does not have to do this, so be glad it's done at all.

The (W) has the BMT Astoria EL, perhaps they are worried about the R1-9 set rusting due to the snow and rain in Winter

I totally agree! The W would be a good line to run on and is short enough. It would be nice if the R9's ran above ground for a change.

Thank You!! Besides idc if the TOMC is for the (7)s Mets Games, they should be used for a Special for the Holiday not just the same old Arnies crap.. I like the Arnies but give those a break.. Especially on the Same (V) line which gets boring. Those could be put on the original IND line, the 8th Avenue.. From 207th to Lefferts or Something..

Lol, you are obsessed about the TOMC aren't you? :)

But I wouldn't mind if they ran that on either the (7) or maybe the (1) from 137th to SF.

But I wouldn't mind if they ran that on either the (7) or maybe the (1) from 137th to SF.

If they wanted to run the TOMC it could run the full length of the (1) except it relays via the South Ferry loops instead of the new terminal so as not to disrupt (1) service, unless they ran it as a replacement (1) train instead of running an R62A.

I totally agree! The W would be a good line to run on and is short enough. It would be nice if the R9's ran above ground for a change.

Like I said they won't do that during the winter.

One alternative that has been bandied about is Whitehall to 57th on the Broadway line...however as you could imagine this would disrupt regular (Q) service with both trains trying to relay at 57. The Q could pull north of the station to "disappear" for a few rather than occupy a pocket track, but it would require the pocket on 4tk to be open whenever the train is coming in, so it's very unlikely.

Well I know the MoD trips don't count, but they ran the R9 all over from Astoria to Far Rockaway to Smith-9th on Decemeber 2003 and the next day throughout the Eastern Division to as far as Canarsie and 111th.

They have run in the winter outdoors before.

You're right...the MOD trips don't count. Back then anything and everything could go. During the centennial it could be as simple as "what train should run today?" :) Sadly those days are no longer among us. I'm not judging the reasons being given, I am merely stating them without any judgement whatsoever, good or bad. And that's the reason, they don't want to run them outdoors in winter. A lot has changed since '03/'04 and before.

Hmm, a six car set of R1-R9s from 59th Street-Columbus Circle to Prospect Park via the (B)?

How about from Queens Plaza to Myrtle Avenue or Broadway Junction via the (V) and (J)?

ya right.. No.. How about 145th or Bedford Park for us uptowners to get something too.. Just saying.. no bigs lol. Then to Prospect Pk or even CI.. It would be cool to loop CI and back up via another line..

And? So what! Have a problem with that?? :P LOL

But yes I LOVE ME R33WF/ML R26, 28, 29, 36... Anything SMEE You name it ;)

Hmm I like your idea on the (1).. To bad it cant make the old IRT stops.. but it can loop SF and back on Lex to 42nd?

Hmm I like your idea on the (1).. To bad it cant make the old IRT stops.. but it can loop SF and back on Lex to 42nd?

What old IRT stops? And I don't think it would be a good idea to terminate the train at 42nd on the Lex line - 'too much traffic'.

I still think 137th-SF would be a decent enough run with only 125th as a possible obstacle. If 125th St is a problem, they can empty out the train at 96th St and use the middle track to reverse back to the s/b side. Also I don't think they need to reopen the loop just for the TOMC. The current terminal is just fine.

You're right...the MOD trips don't count. Back then anything and everything could go. During the centennial it could be as simple as "what train should run today?" :P Sadly those days are no longer among us. I'm not judging the reasons being given, I am merely stating them without any judgement whatsoever, good or bad. And that's the reason, they don't want to run them outdoors in winter. A lot has changed since '03/'04 and before.

I'm just happy I got to enjoy those days. Those trips were well worth the $40. My favorite was the IRT to the Rockaways trip in June 2004. They also ran it to City Hall lower level. I dunno if the part about letting people walking into the tunnel or near the 3rd rail were the reasons why the MoD trips stopped, but hey, I admit I did venture a bit into the tunnels only since others did as well.

I'm just happy I got to enjoy those days. Those trips were well worth the $40. My favorite was the IRT to the Rockaways trip in June 2004. They also ran it to City Hall lower level. I dunno if the part about letting people walking into the tunnel or near the 3rd rail were the reasons why the MoD trips stopped, but hey, I admit I did venture a bit into the tunnels only since others did as well.

There were a bunch of reasons those trips were done away with...a few too many to go over here but two of the biggest ones involved:

-bad behavior by railfans on the trip

-poor cash controls over collecting the money for the trips

and that is why i get on the foamers who yell, scream, and curse out the window at people on the platform...because that doesn't make fantrips look good..all it takes is one stupid incident, so don't do it...

What old IRT stops? And I don't think it would be a good idea to terminate the train at 42nd on the Lex line - 'too much traffic'.

I still think 137th-SF would be a decent enough run with only 125th as a possible obstacle. If 125th St is a problem, they can empty out the train at 96th St and use the middle track to reverse back to the s/b side. Also I don't think they need to reopen the loop just for the TOMC. The current terminal is just fine.

The original IRT from 137(or 145) to City hall. But that wont work..Because of connecting from IRT West to East..

Archived