• Last Reply
Roll forward to April 2010:

(E) R160

(F) R160

(G) R46

(R) R46+R160

(V) R46

sound right?

I assume East New York will get more R160s as well to complete those lines.

Once all the R160's are in, the F will have just a few R46's as there won't be enough R160's to fill the line. The R/V will be R46's. If you do see an occasional R160 there, that means that it will have to be balanced with another R46 on the F. The G will have R46's till such time the line gets their cars from CIYD. No start date yet.

Once all the R160's are in, the F will have just a few R46's as there won't be enough R160's to fill the line. The R/V will be R46's. If you do see an occasional R160 there, that means that it will have to be balanced with another R46 on the F. The G will have R46's till such time the line gets their cars from CIYD. No start date yet.

The (G) isnt transferring to CI its staying Jamaica?

I saw an R32 on the (R) this past Sunday and i caught a R68 on the (N) line yesterday as well.

That's unusual to see a SMEE on the (R) now on the weekend because the number has diminished greatly. I did see one in mid-October though. It was an R42.

That's unusual to see a SMEE on the (R) now on the weekend because the number has diminished greatly. I did see one in mid-October though. It was an R42.

SMEE cars are always on the (R), now if they are a 60 foot car is a different matter. All the 60' SMEEs at JY operate on the (R) or the (V). I was told the exact numbers the other night by someone in the know, but I did not hold on to the info as it's not important.

(E) R160

(F) R160

(G) R46

(R) R46/R160

(V) R46

:cool:

After R32 + R42 are out, the whole system will be in good shape. Based on the new figures, looks like the (F) will be all R160 before we know it, and the (R) will see R160's come in.

So a nice mix of R160 and R46's till one day the system will be all R160 + newer after the replacements for the R46's come in.

Good riddance to the R32 + R40/M + R42.

People were saying the figures above are wrong but it doesn't appear that way based on the existing figures.

(E) is R160

(F) will be R160 before we know it, it will be R46/R160 for a little longer

(G) will likely remain at R46 unless car swap announcement comes in the future

(R) will likely get R160s on the line so it will have a mix of R160/R46 till all the R160s come in.

(V) will remain at R46 till enough R160's come in (I assume the R160 orders are enough for the (V) but if not then it could be the next car after the R160.

All that is needed is to get to the point in time of what I posted above. Then the system will be in pretty good shape. Should be like that for 2010.

Stand clear of the closing doors and don't forget to watch the gap.(MTA):tup:

"Say goodbye to another 10 R42 5 New R160 just came into 207st yard today"

They come in every week. Assuming 5 a week, plus give a few weeks for testing (not sure how long they are tested for) means Early 2010 those tin can R32 + R42 are out and the (R) should be next to get R160s from what I see and from what others have pointed out.

New R160's will likely go to the (F) then the (R) though East New York will see some too on the (J)/(Z) since a few are needed to phase out the R42's

So cars really needed right now to finish off the (F), finish off the (J)/(Z) and to finish off the (R). Wish the (V) had enough but considering the (R) didnt get started, who knows.

But yeah remaining R42's and even the R32's should be off pretty fast.

J/Z will be all the newer cars, R + V will shed their R32/R42's and (R) should start to get R160 after the (F) is finished with them.

Once the R32 + R42 are gone in Jamaica Yard, all is well.

Got the R42 (R) train twice while railfanning today.

S/B at Lexington - 59th St. at 3:17 PM

N/B at Times Sq. at 5:25 PM

North motor 4657, south motor 4631. The train went OOS at Forest Hills.

On Tuesday, I caught an R32 (R) at Atlantic Ave. at ~4:20 PM (I was heading down to Bay Ridge to get the 4:33 but I saw the R32 (R) train at 45th St. at 4:10-4:15 so I took the (N) back up to Atlantic to catch it). It arrived at Forest Hills ~6:00.

Hope this info helps anyone who's planning on catching R32s or R42s on the (R) soon.

Got the R42 (R) train twice while railfanning today.

S/B at Lexington - 59th St. at 3:17 PM

N/B at Times Sq. at 5:25 PM

North motor 4657, south motor 4631. The train went OOS at Forest Hills.

On Tuesday, I caught an R32 (R) at Atlantic Ave. at ~4:20 PM (I was heading down to Bay Ridge to get the 4:33 but I saw the R32 (R) train at 45th St. at 4:10-4:15 so I took the (N) back up to Atlantic to catch it). It arrived at Forest Hills ~6:00.

Hope this info helps anyone who's planning on catching R32s or R42s on the (R) soon.

Yup That R32 that I told you about was a 4:00 out of the yard, I got that R32 at 6:40 at Woodhaven Bivd, (when A SMEE is in that Intervaul (4:00) out of 36th st, The train does another round trip). Today I just got Lucky, I got an R32 (:P at 47-50th sts.

Those R32 + R42 will be out before you know it and be on the Barge of Death.

R32 + R42 left on the (R)(V) + (J)/(Z)

(J)/(Z) share the approx 6 R42s I believe? So maybe 6 cars, then a few left on the (R) and (V).

Shouldn't be long now before they are out of Jamaica and East New York.

No more of the junk is a good thing indeed.

as of now : why isnt Pitkin Yard / 207 street yard not reefing

or retiring the R32 out (A) and (C). why is it taking so long

R46 to come to (A)? Pitkin Yard have over 200 R32?

Easy. To keep class of cars unified plus there isn't enough R46 or R160 to fill in the gap.

R44's will be on for a long time and can only run on certain lines. They aren't much older than the R46.

The Pitkin Yard R32's will be on for awhile. Jamaica Yard and East New York can phase out the remaining R32 + R42 rather quickly.

Jamaica Yard will be:

(E) R160

(F) R160

(G) R46

(R) R46+R160

(V) R46

Sometime in Early 2010 I suspect.

East New York will be R143/R160 and will phase out the remaining R42's.

Pitkin Yard will be R32, R44, R46. I suspect R42 are in worse shape than the R32, however it is possible they could move the remaining R42's to Pitkin as well. Not sure.

Pitkin Yards will remain the oldest cars in the fleet for a long time. They have 200+ R32's and not any where near enough R160's in for them to be phased out.

Assuming 5 cars a week, thats like 40 months to replace the Pitkin Yards cars if all the R32 + R42 were already phased out if a 5 car set comes in each week. I am not sure what the delivery schedule is like.

So don't expect those cars to be phased out for awhile yet.

(A) will run R44/R46 as it doesn't have many R32.

But the (C) will be R32 for a long time I suspect.

In the car datasheet it says 10 car sets will run on the (C) so Im confused by which cars will run on those.

Jamaica can start sending R46's to Pitkin in the next 2 weeks or so. Given Kawasaki deliveries, total R160 arrivals should average at least 10 cars per week, not 5. Jamaica first started receiving R160's a bit under a year ago (cars first went into service a week before Christmas 2008) and now has a bit less than 600 R160's. There are about 250 cars in total still to be delivered which will allow for scrapping all remaining R32's and 42's.

Jamaica can start sending R46's to Pitkin in the next 2 weeks or so. Given Kawasaki deliveries, total R160 arrivals should average at least 10 cars per week, not 5. Jamaica first started receiving R160's a bit under a year ago (cars first went into service a week before Christmas 2008) and now has a bit less than 600 R160's. There are about 250 cars in total still to be delivered which will allow for scrapping all remaining R32's and 42's.

250 still to be delivered and Pitkan has over 200 R32. Plus Alstom has more deliveries due and is slower in the schedule.

So yes, it will take quite awhile before those 200 R32s at Pitkan can be replaced on the (C).

The (A) has a few older cars left and so R46's can be placed on that line when R160's come in from the (F) and then eventually the (R).

What really counts to me is the phaseout of the R32 + R42 cars since they keep the system unreliable and those should be gone soon enough plus the R160s are needed for the (E) and (F) which see more traffic than any other lines in Jamaica Yard.

After that is done, new signals on the Jamaica Yard lines is sorely needed and R160 when they hit the (E) and (F) should allow for the opportunity to do modern signalling should they decide to budget for it on those lines. I haven't read through the new budget line by line.

Having R46 on the (G)(R)(V) isn't so bad even though eventually the (R) should start getting some R160s as well.

Starting the week of Thanksgiving, don't be so keen on seeing any scrap trains from Jamaica because extra trains will be needed for the holidays. By 2010, the R42s will be gone from Jamaica for sure. As for the R32s, I really don't know.

What really counts to me is the phaseout of the R32 + R42 cars since they keep the system unreliable and those should be gone soon enough plus the R160s are needed for the (E) and (F) which see more traffic than any other lines in Jamaica Yard.

Are you sure? While I'll agree that Jamaica runs their cars into the ground, R32s and R42s are still reliable. The R42s are just deteriorating and need to go. And I'm not bragging either, it's a fact. From what I've heard from source of mine, the (V) is the most reliable line based out of Jamaica, and surprisingly, the (E) comes in second. Before the whole equipment trade in July, the (F) was the most reliable line based out of Jamaica because it had a completely mixed package of fleet from Jamaica at the time. I could really care less about R160 delivery until the (A) and (C) gets them, although I do know a reason why the (A) and (C) lines have been holding off on R160s right now....

Bottom line, all old equipment is reliable. And the low MDBF is just an explanation of Jamaica's poor job of car maintenance. Despite the R160s high MDBF, it'd be much higher if Jamaica didn't have them, trust me.

as of now : why isnt Pitkin Yard / 207 street yard not reefing

or retiring the R32 out (A) and (C). why is it taking so long

R46 to come to (A)? Pitkin Yard have over 200 R32?

Pitkin does not maintain any R32s. they are all at 207th Street. The R32s are currently the only cars that can run on the (C), so (NYCT) is not retiring them until all 1662 R160s are in service. Right now, they are getting rid of the Jamaica R42s because they are the worst cars in the system.

Pitkin Yard will be R32, R44, R46. I suspect R42 are in worse shape than the R32, however it is possible they could move the remaining R42's to Pitkin as well. Not sure.

In the car datasheet it says 10 car sets will run on the (C) so Im confused by which cars will run on those.

there are no plans to put any R42s at Pitkin. the Jamaica R42s are going straight to the ocean and the ENY ones will follow when the last of the four-car R160A sets are delivered or when Jamaica is nothing but R160s and R46s. Rumors are still out there than any remaining R32s at Jamaica will go to ENY to retire the crappy R42s there, but I will not confirm that until it actually happens. the (C) will start using R46s and maybe R44s and R68/68As in 8 cars once all R160s are in service.

Starting the week of Thanksgiving, don't be so keen on seeing any scrap trains from Jamaica because extra trains will be needed for the holidays. By 2010, the R42s will be gone from Jamaica for sure. As for the R32s, I really don't know.

Are you sure? While I'll agree that Jamaica runs their cars into the ground, R32s and R42s are still reliable. The R42s are just deteriorating and need to go. And I'm not bragging either, it's a fact. From what I've heard from source of mine, the (V) is the most reliable line based out of Jamaica, and surprisingly, the (E) comes in second. Before the whole equipment trade in July, the (F) was the most reliable line based out of Jamaica because it had a completely mixed package of fleet from Jamaica at the time. I could really care less about R160 delivery until the (A) and (C) gets them, although I do know a reason why the (A) and (C) lines have been holding off on R160s right now....

Bottom line, all old equipment is reliable. And the low MDBF is just an explanation of Jamaica's poor job of car maintenance. Despite the R160s high MDBF, it'd be much higher if Jamaica didn't have them, trust me.

The (V) is reliable because it is vacant and often runs on schedule. It runs more frequently than the (:P or (D) and getting its R46s back because the R42s are going bye-bye (thankfully).

there are enough R160s to make the (F) and (Q) exclusively R160s. i refuse to believe them being on the (R)(V) until it actually happens. it makes sense to make the Queens Boulevard Express exclusively R160s and the local exclusively R46s. currently, there are no plans to transfer the (G) to Coney Island, but that may change once the Culver Viaduct project is completed.

I saw an R32 on the (R) this past Sunday and i caught a R68 on the (N) line yesterday as well.

I saw an R68A (W) last week and an R32 (:P yesterday, but so far, nothing but R46s on the (R) and all R160s on the (N).

After the replacement of the Jamaica R32/R42s, the R160s assigned to Jamaica will start knocking R46s over to the A/C. The last SMEE cars to be retired are planned to be the R42s assigned to ENY. (It is possible that a few R42s assigned to Jamaica will end up at ENY if any ENY pairs have a major malfunction) There is no plan, nor has there ever been a plan, for R32s to be transferred to ENY.

I suppose it is also possible that the R32 train at Coney Island will be the last SMEE running. I would expect that train to keep running until it breaks down for good. This train was not planned for, and so it generally has been left out of replacement plans.

there is no way any R42s at Jamaica will be sent back to ENY because they are in worse shape than ever. Do not say R32s will not go to ENY, anything is possible. like you said, maybe all the ENY R42s will blow up in our faces (which i really hope happens because that will give (NYCT) the wake-up call they really need) and what will replace them, R32s. it would be a very bad idea to replace them with any Jamaica cars. that one R32 train at Coney Island is running for extra service on the (B), so it is not going anywhere until the Brighton Line construction project is completed at Fall 2011, which by then all R160s should be in service.

Alstom gets in 20-35 cars a month while Kawasaki gets 10-15 cars in a month, from my observations. The delivery should be complete by the end of Spring 2010.

1. Jamaica R42s are not the worst cars in the system. The R42s have a 2009 MDBF of 79,705 while the R32s have an average MDBF of 54,191, making your precious R32s the worst cars in the system. Don't believe me? Go to page 34.

BTW, I rode both an R32 and an R42 on the (R) in the past week, and an R68 on the (N). The R32/R42 (R) is out there but the R68 (N) is probably gone by now.

You just told us anything is possible but then right before that told us that R42s going to ENY is not going to happen. You are so biased it's not even funny.

so? what is your point? having low MDBF does not necessarily mean it is bad car, nor does having high MDBF make it a good car. look at the R38s. they had the best MDBF of 2007 and yet, were retired first. explain that to me! No matter what, every subway car will eventually break down and I will be annoyed if I am in it no matter what car type it is, but would feel much safe in the strong stability of the R32s than the rotting R42s. I rank cars not just by their MDBF, but by how they look, their conditions, and how well they function, and as of right now, the R44s have broke down on me every time i ride them while the R42s are in the most deplorable cosmetic and structural condition ever. they are the worst man-made objects on Earth! i said R32s COULD go to ENY, not it WOULD. ask R32 3838 for updates.

The MDBF of the R42 IS comparably low, but it is generally higher than that of the R32. As there is no plan to reassign the R32 to ENY, and the 4 car R160As are scheduled to be the last R160s delivered, these R42s will be the last of the 60'-SMEEs retired*. I will state right now, R32s WILL NOT be reassigned to East New York yard. There is absolutely no reason for such an assignment to occur. If an R42 assigned to ENY were to suffer some catastrophic failure, and it was determined that such a car was needed, a JAM R42 would likely replace it. That is the only way anything other than a new R160A would end up being transferred to ENY.

The R42s could easily last a few more years physically. The R36 fleet was in much worse shape for their last few years.

*Outside of the potential B line cars being saved for now, that is.(currently at 14 cars, although 2 may be scrap) These cars could last through the whole project, but could also disappear at any time. The temporary increase in B service requirements could easily be covered by the current spare factor.

no way those rust buckets will last another six months in the system. If (NYCT) wants to send the Jamaica R42s back to where they came from, they would not be retiring them right now. They would be getting rid of the few R32s left there. Your statement makes absolutely no sense.

The R42s have served the BMT/IND well for 40 years and because of the rusting, they have to go. They have outlived their service years. It's been fun riding those R42s. If they're still around, that's fine, but the truth is, nothing lasts forever.

After the replacement of the Jamaica R32/R42s, the R160s assigned to Jamaica will start knocking R46s over to the A/C. The last SMEE cars to be retired are planned to be the R42s assigned to ENY. (It is possible that a few R42s assigned to Jamaica will end up at ENY if any ENY pairs have a major malfunction) There is no plan, nor has there ever been a plan, for R32s to be transferred to ENY.

I suppose it is also possible that the R32 train at Coney Island will be the last SMEE running. I would expect that train to keep running until it breaks down for good. This train was not planned for, and so it generally has been left out of replacement plans.

It really can't be scrapped either because it's a long-term GO train. If anything, another spare should be sent to Coney Island so it can supplement that set. The set there is only 10 cars; they don't even have spares for it.

The R42's are going and from what I heard from somebody, That the R32's will be last, The R42's at ENY are rotting out bad and plus the MDBF on the R42's are very low so I dobut that the R42's will survive another 8 months, That R32 at CI is a long term G.O. Train, That would mostlikely be the Last 60" SMEE in passenger service. And I dobut that ENY would want an R42 back from jamaica.

Assuming 5 cars a week, thats like 40 months to replace the Pitkin Yards cars if all the R32 + R42 were already phased out if a 5 car set comes in each week. I am not sure what the delivery schedule is like.

So don't expect those cars to be phased out for awhile yet.

(A) will run R44/R46 as it doesn't have many R32.

But the (C) will be R32 for a long time I suspect.

Alstom gets in 20-35 cars a month while Kawasaki gets 10-15 cars in a month, from my observations. The delivery should be complete by the end of Spring 2010.

Right now, they are getting rid of the Jamaica R42s because they are the worst cars in the system.

I saw an R68A (W) last week and an R32 (:P yesterday, but so far, nothing but R46s on the (R) and all R160s on the (N).

there is no way any R42s at Jamaica will be sent back to ENY because they are in worse shape than ever. Do not say R32s will not go to ENY, anything is possible. like you said, maybe all the ENY R42s will blow up in our faces (which i really hope happens because that will give (NYCT) the wake-up call they really need) and what will replace them, R32s. it would be a very bad idea to replace them with any Jamaica cars. that one R32 train at Coney Island is running for extra service on the (:P, so it is not going anywhere until the Brighton Line construction project is completed at Fall 2011, which by then all R160s should be in service.

1. Jamaica R42s are not the worst cars in the system. The R42s have a 2009 MDBF of 79,705 while the R32s have an average MDBF of 54,191, making your precious R32s the worst cars in the system. Don't believe me? Go to page 34.

BTW, I rode both an R32 and an R42 on the (R) in the past week, and an R68 on the (N). The R32/R42 (R) is out there but the R68 (N) is probably gone by now.

You just told us anything is possible but then right before that told us that R42s going to ENY is not going to happen. You are so biased it's not even funny.

The MDBF of the R42 IS comparably low, but it is generally higher than that of the R32. As there is no plan to reassign the R32 to ENY, and the 4 car R160As are scheduled to be the last R160s delivered, these R42s will be the last of the 60'-SMEEs retired*. I will state right now, R32s WILL NOT be reassigned to East New York yard. There is absolutely no reason for such an assignment to occur. If an R42 assigned to ENY were to suffer some catastrophic failure, and it was determined that such a car was needed, a JAM R42 would likely replace it. That is the only way anything other than a new R160A would end up being transferred to ENY.

The R42s could easily last a few more years physically. The R36 fleet was in much worse shape for their last few years.

*Outside of the potential B line cars being saved for now, that is.(currently at 14 cars, although 2 may be scrap) These cars could last through the whole project, but could also disappear at any time. The temporary increase in B service requirements could easily be covered by the current spare factor.

Archived