Job bidding question for Metro North

budsthe4

with Metro North, i have heard you have to be in a position for 1 year minimum before you can bid on a position that is outside the department you are currently working in.

but can you bid on another position before your 1st year if the new position is within the department you are currently working in?

Or also if the job is in a different department, but covered by the same union? Such as ACRE, or TCU? :)

with Metro North, i have heard you have to be in a position for 1 year minimum before you can bid on a position that is outside the department you are currently working in.

but can you bid on another position before your 1st year if the new position is within the department you are currently working in?

Or also if the job is in a different department, but covered by the same union? Such as ACRE, or TCU? :)

After speaking with a good friend who has been a catenary lineman for two years with MNRR, a year in one title is required before applying for a transfer to another title, regardless of the department. Unions and their respective locals are specific to individual job titles based on the title itself and/or job responsibilities. Again, the application process is also exclusive to a title rather than a department or union.

I hope this helps.

.... the application process is also exclusive to a title rather than a department or union.

The application process is exclusive to the craft, not job title or department. If I wanted to, right now I can bid a position from my current position (title) of ticket seller in the customer service department to a clerk position in the fleet management department as they are all covered under my union (TCU).

The one year waiting period applies to change of craft transfers. Example: if you are hired in a position covered under the TCU, you can not transfer to become a conductor (covered by ACRE) or signal man (ACRE), or electrician (IBEW), or any of the other 15 or so unions, including managment until you worked under TCU for a year. Only then can you apply for a change of craft (or manager position). It is up to human resources whether or not you are granted such request. Attendance and safety records are weighed heavily with such requests.

You can move around the craft you were hired in immediately (including changes in titles) after probation as long as you have the prerequisites for such titles (this includes different departments). Changing positions (titles) is accomplished through the bidding and bumping process. Example: if you are hired as a custodian (a TCU covered position with in the building services or station services department), you can bid on another TCU position providing you are off probation (three months from date of hire). Should you want to bid on a clerk position (any department) you are required to pass the BRAC (clerk) exam. Should you want to bid on a customer service position or ticket seller (customer service department), you are required to pass both the BRAC and Hogan personality exam.

I hope this answers your questions. I based my information on the TCU positions as this is the union I'm intimately familiar with. Should you have any other questions, either reply or PM me.

Archived