NJCL Construction

Harry

Does anyone know the details of the construction between South Amboy and the Aberdeen-Matawan stations. I notice the Bay Head trains running on the NWP/NYP tracks for a few miles. The South Amboy station is getting ripped up and the third set of tracks has been removed.

progress.gif

NJCL was in dire need of an catenary upgrade around South Amboy. Along with that, South Amboy is getting upgraded. It will have a new center island platform with a new canopy and an upgraded station building to match. After that mess is all done, Perth Amboy will suffer the same fate as it will be upgraded to high level platforms. Extended ones too!

NJCL was in dire need of an catenary upgrade around South Amboy. Along with that, South Amboy is getting upgraded. It will have a new center island platform with a new canopy and an upgraded station building to match. After that mess is all done, Perth Amboy will suffer the same fate as it will be upgraded to high level platforms. Extended ones too!

So thats whats happening thanks for the info. I did see a whole bunch of new concrete sleepers stacked up between the stations. I guess there will be exiting in all cars of the train instead of the first 7-8. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Hello Everyone,

All you guys are right about the South Amboy Station upgrades. They are adding High Level platforms there. The photos I took in South Amboy at Rare Interlocking of the Wire train and GP40PH-2B #4204 were for the Catenary Work in Preparation for the station work in South Amboy.

Eric

NJCL is getting to busy of a line with lots of ridership to have low plats. Its about time they're putting high plats at the Amboy stops.

That makes me wonder. What if they can extend the centenary down to Point Pleasant or Bay Head? And with all the upgrades, (excuse my french) but WHAT THE HELL is NJ Transit waiting for upgrading Lil' Silver?

That makes me wonder. What if they can extend the centenary down to Point Pleasant or Bay Head? And with all the upgrades, (excuse my french) but WHAT THE HELL is NJ Transit waiting for upgrading Lil' Silver?

I agree with Little Silver. I don't think NJ Transit will extend the Catenary to Bay Head. There just isn't enough service all year around to bother electrifying it. Perhaps if the Arrow III MU cars could still be used beyond Aberdeen/Matawan but that's only a dream now.

Eric

I agree with Little Silver. I don't think NJ Transit will extend the Catenary to Bay Head. There just isn't enough service all year around to bother electrifying it. Perhaps if the Arrow III MU cars could still be used beyond Aberdeen/Matawan but that's only a dream now.

Eric

Just electrify it just for the hell of it. Electrification of a line is always good. Look at the M&E lines and a few of their branches, sees less service than what NJCL sees and branches like for say the Gladstone branch is electrified.

Electrifying the NJCL entirely will help NJT not worry about making a transfer to another train at Long Branch from an electric train to a diesel or diesel to electric, therefore line electrified all the way to Bay Head will just run one straight train.

*****Breaking News!!!!!****

I have just found out NJ Transit's Plan 2008-2009 is to electrify the line to Bay Head and voltage match a Arrow III. It it planed to be completed by mid-summer and NJCL will add new expresses to Penn Station.

In other news, Atlantic City line is considering electrifying it's rail also. But that has not been fully addressed in NJT Plan 08'-09' and The M.O.M.'s Matawan option is out. The Red Bank option is under study. And The Jamesburg Juction option has been studyed. They might build an el in downtown Freehold if Jamesburg is used.

Just electrify it just for the hell of it. Electrification of a line is always good. Look at the M&E lines and a few of their branches, sees less service than what NJCL sees and branches like for say the Gladstone branch is electrified.

Electrifying the NJCL entirely will help NJT not worry about making a transfer to another train at Long Branch from an electric train to a diesel or diesel to electric, therefore line electrified all the way to Bay Head will just run one straight train.

There was a point when NJT wanted to do system wide electrification,but idk what ever became of that.

The next major electrification project NJT plans to take on is extending the wire from Dover to Lake Hopatcong (due to the fact that Dover yard is at capacity) and eventually electrifying the Boonton line between MSU and Denville

I have just found out NJ Transit's Plan 2008-2009 is to electrify the line to Bay Head and voltage match a Arrow III. It it planed to be completed by mid-summer and NJCL will add new expresses to Penn Station.

In other news, Atlantic City line is considering electrifying it's rail also. But that has not been fully addressed in NJT Plan 08'-09' and The M.O.M.'s Matawan option is out. The Red Bank option is under study. And The Jamesburg Juction option has been studyed. They might build an el in downtown Freehold if Jamesburg is used.

FINALLY! Thanks for the news man!

And if they're doing voltage work on the line to match the Arrow IIIs, that definately shows a green light that NJT doesn't plan to replace them anytime soon. W00 H00!

Its good news to find out that the Coast Line will finally see full electric service...if it happens....2008-09 seems to be kinda early for a project that was just announced....they've been talking about extending electrification to Lake Hopatcong and along the Boonton line ever since the Montcalir Connection opened(and thats not even official)...and I dont understand how Arrows will operate to Bay Head when NJT just did the voltage change in Matawan back in 04-05 (may have been earlier than that,im not sure)....unless they are planning to change it back...the point is...usually electrification is big news....and I haven't heard anything that implies that the project is set in stone...even though MSU to Lake Hopatcong and Long Branch to Bay Head are the two largest next-to-be-electrified candidates that I constantly hear about (thru forums and NJT employees)

As far as electrifying the ACL....i don't understand....why:confused:...would they wanna do that....that should be the last line NJ Transit would wanna electrify....its technically not even a commuter route....and the point of electrification is so trains can operate thru tunnels to NY which this line is nowhere near and better acceleration between stations...which still would be no benefit because the stations on this line are spaced far apart anyway...the money for electrifying that line should definitely go somewhere else...such as to a busier diesel line....like the Raritan Valley Line

Where exactly did you hear that Perth Amboy's getting high platforms? Last I heard, they were staying low due to the freight railroads running wide cars through that station. Only way that station will get high platforms is if they restore the four tracks through it again.

The plan to convert South Amboy to an island platform is quite a few years old. The configuration will resemble Dover station on the Morristown Line. The Augusta Street grade crossing will close. Haven't heard about a new station building; but that would be a waste (consider that they're still using the Dover station building on the Morristown Line, in spite of building an island platform there). The track leading to Church Interlocking will become the running track.

In other news, Atlantic City line is considering electrifying it's rail also. But that has not been fully addressed in NJT Plan 08'-09' and The M.O.M.'s Matawan option is out. The Red Bank option is under study. And The Jamesburg Juction option has been studyed. They might build an el in downtown Freehold if Jamesburg is used

Eh? That's a lot of rumors. About the one piece of correct information is the obvious one, that the CNJ Freehold-Matawan would never be part of any form of MOM since they've been building the Henry Hudson Trail on top of it for quite a number of years running. How can you "voltage-match an Arrow III" without converting the line voltage back to 11.5 kV 25 Hz between Matawan and Long Branch (which will never happen) or upgrading the entire fleet of Arrows with automatic variable-tap transformers?

The only thing that Richard Sarles is worried about between 2008 and 2009 is T.H.E. Tunnel. Nothing else on the rails.

Archived