Discipline

LexAveExp5

alright current transit workers. im asking for the brutal truths now. how easy is it to get fired? what is the required process they must go through before they can fire you? where i work its almost impossible to fire you unless you stole or got caught fighting. they first have to give you a discussion, then a letter of warning, then a 7-day suspension, then 14-day, then finally you're out. and depending on the situation first they must offer you a chance to redeem yourself by going to EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and rectifying the situation. i know in transit they wanna fire you right away for attandance, tardiness, letting go of the deadman's feature, over-running the platform, opening the doors on the wrong side (LOL), going to the bathroom mid-route. but what are the guidelines for what they're SUPPOSED to do and what do they ACTUALLY do?

alright current transit workers. im asking for the brutal truths now. how easy is it to get fired? what is the required process they must go through before they can fire you? where i work its almost impossible to fire you unless you stole or got caught fighting. they first have to give you a discussion, then a letter of warning, then a 7-day suspension, then 14-day, then finally you're out. and depending on the situation first they must offer you a chance to redeem yourself by going to EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and rectifying the situation. i know in transit they wanna fire you right away for attandance, tardiness, letting go of the deadman's feature, over-running the platform, opening the doors on the wrong side (LOL), going to the bathroom mid-route. but what are the guidelines for what they're SUPPOSED to do and what do they ACTUALLY do?

Well since I never get in trouble I may not be the best to answer this question for you. But they have similar procedures to what you mentioned before they can fire you. In most cases for T/O's, C/R's and B/O's they will demote you to S/A or CTA( Cleaner TA) if you have any disciplinary infractions . Just last year there was an incident were one S/A stole 2 revenue bags totaling over $10,000 from another S/A during the relief process and he strill has his job. They gave him like 30 days in the street, but he still had his job afterwards. I always heard after you complete probation you have to kill someone before they fire you lol. But someone who has more disciplinary infractions may be better to answer your questions or someone who is a supervisor. But from what I've heard there are step 1 and step 2 hearings. I don't know if there is a step 3 hearing, but I know after the step 1 hearing if you don't take the deal they offered you your job can be in grave danger and the penalties are much stiffer if your found in the wrong.

yeah! you basically have to kill someone to get fired from the post office too! lol. but what would be a good example of a deal? i dont really get what you mean by take a deal

They may say take 30 days in the street instead of being fired or take a demotion to another title. If you don't take what ever they offered in the step 1 hearing, at the step 2 they may increase the penalty to 45-60 days in the street or possible termination. But like I said I have never been in trouble to really know how that works. I'am only going off what I've heard from other people that have been disciplined. TA's biggest gripe with employees is calling out from work and lateness. I had to go to a hearing for a lateness once, but they dismissed it, and gave me a warning. Most S/A's if late to relieve someone will just pay the person because it's easier to pay someone 10 bucks than deal with TA. If you deal with TA they will dock you the time your late. Then you will have to go to the hearing for "Late Allowed To Work", you have to go to the hearing during your normal shift and if you lose the hearing you don't get paid for the time it took you to travel to the hearing and to work. So you end up losing about 50 to 60 bucks instead (2 hours of work) of 10 if you deal with TA. And the lateness stays on your record for 5 years.

wow, you have to go to a hearing after 1 lateness? how many latenesses before you get fired? the only times ive been late at the post office was the MTA's fault when either the train wouldnt move or 2 buses skipped my stope b/c they were both late and packed. and i know if its the MTA's fault you dont get blamed for it. but if i have to report to different places all over the city as an extra extra, that is kind of difficult to always know what time to leave the house. especially when lack of sleep is involved and you cant catch a quick nap on this job

RTO is a bit different. i've never been late, but i know people who have multiple times and they never went to any hearings. they did have their pay docked though, but that's only when they were too late to make their first trip (which is usually 15 minutes after you're scheduled to sign in so you do have some leeway) and the dispatcher has to scramble to jump crews ahead. if you are over 2 hours late, you are considered AWOL - don't know the procedure for that. when you're on the xx list, you will have at least 12-14 hours between jobs so you won't be a walking zombie. and as with any job, you should give yourself adequate time to get to work. use trip planner if need be.

wow, you have to go to a hearing after 1 lateness? how many latenesses before you get fired? the only times ive been late at the post office was the MTA's fault when either the train wouldnt move or 2 buses skipped my stope b/c they were both late and packed. and i know if its the MTA's fault you dont get blamed for it. but if i have to report to different places all over the city as an extra extra, that is kind of difficult to always know what time to leave the house. especially when lack of sleep is involved and you cant catch a quick nap on this job

Yeah I was pretty pissed about it too, because it was only 5 mins I was late but they docked me 15 miins, becasues S/A's are suppose to show 15 mins early to do a proper relief. And they pay you for those 15 mins so that's why they docked me. When I went down there, there was another guy who had never been late 15 years and he was being summoned as well. Well I don't believe they can fire you for being late, It would have to be alot of times you were late. And as far as extra extra goes, there is no extra extra in stations department, but they only have to give us 8 hours of rest between shifts and not 12-14 like in RTO. It's just different for everybody how TA will discipline you. But everything comes down to your sick record when they consider a punishment for you.

AWOL is a trip to 130 Livingston, if you don't bring in proper paperwork of why you were AWOL. By rule, they can send you home, or just dock you. Calling out sick to much is a no-no. Repeated signal overruns is a huge no-no.......

To truly find out how TA works, you must work here. Talking about it with those not here doesn't work. You must experience the wonderful world we come to daily..........

i just wanna know everything. if its too easy to get fired from a job just for being human then maybe some people wont want it

Then you would fit well into DSNY even though they haven't hired in awhile. They have unlimited sick leave, although they will call and make home visits to check up on you.

I find it amusing that of all the questions that could be asked on this forum and especially from experienced employees of the MTA, asking about how easy it is to get fired is a priority. Though I don't work there, NYCT is just the same as any other job, particularly any other public-serving agency in which safety and P.R. are of the utmost importance. Simply do your job as well you can, and if an accident occurs or a mistake happens, accept the repercussions.

If you're worried about being fired before you're even hired, then you shouldn't have the job in the first place. If you're worried about being fired from any job, than you shouldn't get one. Worry about doing your job well. That's goes for any job.

I find it amusing that of all the questions that could be asked on this forum and especially from experienced employees of the MTA, asking about how easy it is to get fired is a priority. Though I don't work there, NYCT is just the same as any other job, particularly any other public-serving agency in which safety and P.R. are of the utmost importance. Simply do your job as well you can, and if an accident occurs or a mistake happens, accept the repercussions.

If you're worried about being fired before you're even hired, then you shouldn't have the job in the first place. If you're worried about being fired from any job, than you shouldn't get one. Worry about doing your job well. That's goes for any job.

IAWTP.

Why are some people giving the guy a hard time about asking his question? It's a valid question to ask on this forum just like any other. I assume he want's to know if the MTA is more stricter or more relaxed than the US postal service when it comes to discipline . I agree with you in the fact that you should do your job and not worry about it, but it's also good to know in the event if you do make a mistake how they will deal with you.

I can understand the "why are you asking this without being hired yet" questions, but all its going to lead to is arguing and bullshit. If you do not have any input for the question at hand please do not reply. He's curious. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Let's move forward. :cool:

I can understand the "why are you asking this without being hired yet" questions, but all its going to lead to is arguing and bullshit. If you do not have any input for the question at hand please do not reply. He's curious. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Let's move forward. :cool:

I would say you cleared that up pretty nice harry.

Because people who want to work down there want to learn as much about how things work. It's not like he's asking "What can I get away with" he's just trying to get a feel for what it's like to work down there. We are in a recession and people woudl be leaving jobs to work for TA so they want to make sure it's the right move to quit their jobs in the first place because if they DO get fired odds are it's going to be very difficult to get their old job back.

It's an EXTREMELY valid question. And they're asking employees as opposed to the "general career advice" you gave above because they want to know the answer specifically as it applies to TA, that's all. Perfectly valid IMO.

yeah, this definitely isnt a "what can i get away with?" thread. i mean, ive heard horror stories before but i would like to have it all in one thread for reference. i just wanna know if its TOO easy to get fired there. like if i sneeze and my hand slips off the deadman's feature. or if my electricity goes out for a quick second while im sleeping and my alarm doesnt go off so im late 4 hours (cuz i WILL sleep 8-10 hours a night if nobody wakes me up!). or if i had bad tacos the night before and gotta make an emergency bathroom break during my route. or if i get a disease (yes i read on Strappies this guy who they tried to fire b/c he got diabetes). just stuff like that. i always come to work, im always on time. but of course shit happens and there will be days when i cant be "perfect", so i wanted to know the disciplinary procedures. will they go straight for the firing? straight for the suspension? do they give you a warning first? is there such a thing as a letter of warning? like SubwayGuy said, if i give up my job at the post office, i cant get it back. they are no longer accepting re-instatements for ex-employees. they just had a buyout to get rid of 18,000 people

yeah, this definitely isnt a "what can i get away with?" thread. i mean, ive heard horror stories before but i would like to have it all in one thread for reference. i just wanna know if its TOO easy to get fired there. like if i sneeze and my hand slips off the deadman's feature. or if my electricity goes out for a quick second while im sleeping and my alarm doesnt go off so im late 4 hours (cuz i WILL sleep 8-10 hours a night if nobody wakes me up!). or if i had bad tacos the night before and gotta make an emergency bathroom break during my route. or if i get a disease (yes i read on Strappies this guy who they tried to fire b/c he got diabetes). just stuff like that. i always come to work, im always on time. but of course shit happens and there will be days when i cant be "perfect", so i wanted to know the disciplinary procedures. will they go straight for the firing? straight for the suspension? do they give you a warning first? is there such a thing as a letter of warning? like SubwayGuy said, if i give up my job at the post office, i cant get it back. they are no longer accepting re-instatements for ex-employees. they just had a buyout to get rid of 18,000 people

Well If you do something wrong first step in most cases is to be re-instructed. For other things you may have to write a G2( Universal TA Form), which is basically you writing yourself up. I know you've heard horror stories but it's pretty hard to get "FIRED". Disciplined yes very easy, but being fired not so easy. You really have to be a major screw up to get fired. Well this is all granted you complete your 1 year probationary period. During that first year, yes it is very easy to get fired. In your first year never call out and never be late. And "DONT" get any customer complaints and your golden. But after that year like I said before you have to basically kill someone before they will fire you.

the mta won't fire you, even on probation, for minor screw ups - unless you make them a habit. they're not going to fire you if you're late one day or if you're sick and need a sick day or two. be responsible, do your job responsibly, and be accountable. it's not just a job... it's a career.

Archived