Hideki Matsui wins MVP as Yankees beat Philadelphia Phillies, grab 27th World title

Luis1985

The move across 161st Street is now complete.

The Yankees finished their debut season at the new Yankee Stadium in style Wednesday night, hammering the Phillies for a 7-3 win in Game 6 to capture the 27th World Series championship in franchise history.

Hideki Matsui had the game of his life, homering and driving in six runs - tying the World Series RBI record - on what may have been his final night in pinstripes. The first four came against long-time Yankees nemesis Pedro Martinez, who lasted only four innings for the Phillies. Matsui finished the series 8-for-13 (.615) with three homers and eight RBI and the MVP trophy.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/11/04/2009-11-04_game_6.html#ixzz0Vze6ZrNN

post-1062-133288581123_thumb.jpg

post-1062-133288581123_thumb.jpg

You know, i don't think i've ever cared so little about a world series. This is coming from a guy who usually watches every game with a favorite team since i can remember. I didn't want either team to win.

- A

History has repeated itself

In more ways than one. The Yankees also opened up the old Yankee Stadium with a world championship.

You know, i don't think i've ever cared so little about a world series. This is coming from a guy who usually watches every game with a favorite team since i can remember. I didn't want either team to win.

- A

Well, too bad :P

Apparantly, money does win championships. :tdown: Still ,my hat's off to the 2009 Yankees, they were a good team.

And money buys the clothes you wearing, stopppp with the 'yankees bought the championship' already i'm tired of hearing it. You want to win, you spend money thats the way it goes. If the mighty Yankees didn't spend money they way they did on players, do you think this great state of New York would put up with it? When the Yankees win, its good for ALL of baseball.

Yankees haters will always tow that lie about money buying championships. If that was true, the Yankees would have been in the WS in 2002, 2004-8 as well.

And anytime the Yankees play in other ballparks, they have record attendence marks. The Yankees are good for baseball.

Love them or hate them, MLB is nothing without the Yankees.

Yankees haters will always tow that lie about money buying championships. If that was true, the Yankees would have been in the WS in 2002, 2004-8 as well.

And anytime the Yankees play in other ballparks, they have record attendence marks. The Yankees are good for baseball.

Love them or hate them, MLB is nothing without the Yankees.

Thank you.

Thats all I heard all day from met fans how the yanks are spoiled and have the highest payroll in baseball and all that jazz. Cry babies, stop the bull S

I wouldn't call Girardi famous, he was a lifetime 267 hitter who never hit more than 8 hrs in a season and wasn't the Yankees 1st choice as manager to replace Torre, Mattingly was.

That was probably some publicity stunt so it makes him look good when he is negotiating for a new contract.

I wouldn't call Girardi famous, he was a lifetime 267 hitter who never hit more than 8 hrs in a season and wasn't the Yankees 1st choice as manager to replace Torre, Mattingly was.

That was probably some publicity stunt so it makes him look good when he is negotiating for a new contract.

Girardi is famous for one reason and one reason alone. If you say his name, people know who he is.

And I'm sorry but if you think that was a publicity stunt that shows a total disregard for those people involved in the incident.

Girardi is famous for one reason and one reason alone. If you say his name, people know who he is.

And I'm sorry but if you think that was a publicity stunt that shows a total disregard for those people involved in the incident.

Well said. And Girardi at least managed a MLB team, no one knows how Mattingly would fare as a manager and then a few weeks later the whole incident with his wife forced him to resign his everyday job as the Dodgers' hitting coach. What would've happened if he was the manager of the Yankees? The media would be hounding him relentlessly about the private life.

I think the Yankees dodged a bullet there in choosing Girardi over Mattingly.

Archived