(E) and (F) Survey by Strappies

FamousNYLover

"the R42's suck, they were ugly and dirty and the seats were small"

I can only think of one person who'd say that LOL

Honestly I prefer the R32s on the (E) but for the simple fact they had more seating and standing room. I rarely came across an (E) train with A/C issues but thats just me.

The (F) and I have bad history in terms of reliability but the R46s are good for the line in terms of seating, standing room, as well as comfort.

"the R42's suck, they were ugly and dirty and the seats were small"

I can only think of one person who'd say that LOL

That's FlushingExpress for ya!

Honestly I prefer the R32s on the (E) but for the simple fact they had more seating and standing room. I rarely came across an (E) train with A/C issues but thats just me.

The (F) and I have bad history in terms of reliability but the R46s are good for the line in terms of seating, standing room, as well as comfort.

We all know Jamaica has had a bad recent history when it comes to maintenance with their cars, so it's obvious that the A/C would fail. I was on an R160 (E) in June and the train's A/C completely failed. It was terrible. I was a few stops away from my station so I really didn't bother to switch cars but I'm not impressed.

I'll wait for the official one rather than one done by railfans that can skewer the results.

IAWTP.

That's FlushingExpress for ya!

We all know Jamaica has had a bad recent history when it comes to maintenance with their cars, so it's obvious that the A/C would fail. I was on an R160 (E) in June and the train's A/C completely failed. It was terrible. I was a few stops away from my station so I really didn't bother to switch cars but I'm not impressed.

IAWTP.

Anecdotal. A/C was not a problem with most of the fleet or in Jamaica this year. There were hot cars I got on the (C), (6), and (R68) (:(, this summer. None of these are maintained in Jamaica. Just move to the next car and be thankful that NYC has fully air-conditioned fleet. Nowhere does A/C work 100 percent of the time. I had to fix it in my 5 year old car this summer for a nice sum of $200.

Jamaica now has more newer trains, give them next summer to see if the a/cs are still as reliable.

Still many R46s in Jamaica, over 30 years in service. There were an average amount of problems with R46's a/c in Jamaica the past few years. Why should next year be any different? Especially since the R46s have gone through SMS and Jamaica will now have had some time to get used to maintaining the NTTs.

It seem folks go out of there way to show how "bad" Jamaica is at maintaining their trains. They aren't the best for sure. But they are nowhere near as bad as some people here claim they are.

Both the R32 and R42 have their share of problems, but I still prefer the R46s b/c they function correctly most of the time. As the R46 slowly become the oldest fleet at Jamaica, I fear that they would become a shadow of their former self as Jamaica would continue their custom of mistreating older trains. On the other hand, the R160As seriously need to have all their FIND systems fixed ASAP so they can function properly 24/7.

IMO, having operated numerous 160's and 46's, I can honestly say that the 46 is a better train.

IAWTP.

Jamaica doesn't mistreat trains as if they have some vendetta against their trains or something...the yard is too small so some cars always end up neglected.

Maybe it's time to make another yard...it's the only way to correctly curb this "neglect", which I find ludicrous enough anyway.

I mean , on weekends and times off from school , when I take the (F) train I always get the R160 there and back. As far as weekends go , I have not taken a R46 (F) train since august. Execpt for today. But I had to miss two R160 (F) trains to get a R46. That sucked! Don't tell me the moment I always feard is coming sooner than I expected...

Anecdotal. A/C was not a problem with most of the fleet or in Jamaica this year. There were hot cars I got on the (C), (6), and (R68) (:), this summer. None of these are maintained in Jamaica. Just move to the next car and be thankful that NYC has fully air-conditioned fleet. Nowhere does A/C work 100 percent of the time. I had to fix it in my 5 year old car this summer for a nice sum of $200.

agreed why does the jammaica yard car maintainers get such a bad rap on this site i remember in 2005 i got on a brand new 143 (L) train in may and their wasnt any ac on the car at all and the (L) isnt main ntained at the jamaica yard i think the 46s will always be the preferred car among queens riders because of the history they have been on queens blvd lines almost their whole existence

agreed why does the jammaica yard car maintainers get such a bad rap on this site

It's because they have the largest fleet in the system and very limited space in the car barn for inspections. If you ever ride the Queens Blvd line after midnights, you will see that most of there trains are layed-up on the express tracks Union Turnpike out towards 179th Street. Also some of the cars on the (R) line get stored between 36th Street and 59th Street. As a result, it takes along time for them to inspect all the cars assigned to the yard.

agreed why does the jammaica yard car maintainers get such a bad rap on this site i remember in 2005 i got on a brand new 143 (L) train in may and their wasnt any ac on the car at all and the (L) isnt main ntained at the jamaica yard i think the 46s will always be the preferred car among queens riders because of the history they have been on queens blvd lines almost their whole existence

WHAT???

It's because they have the largest fleet in the system and very limited space in the car barn for inspections. If you ever ride the Queens Blvd line after midnights, you will see that most of there trains are layed-up on the express tracks Union Turnpike out towards 179th Street. Also some of the cars on the (R) line get stored between 36th Street and 59th Street. As a result, it takes along time for them to inspect all the cars assigned to the yard.

Exactly, but I seriously think it's time to make another yard. Either do that, or transfer a route to another yard. Wasn't there talk of making the (G) go to Coney Island Yards?

In regards laying up trains at Union Turnpike, I remember seeing Slants layed up at the station, signed up as (W). This was in 2004, obviously on a weekend. Possibly the consist was being borrowed by Jamaica?

Yup, I'm also surprised none of those trains like at Union Turnpike had been 'tagged' late at night when nearly no one is around.

I know, right? I guess the security around that area is pretty tight with the cameras in place at the station. Also, I don't think vandals are too prominent in Kew Gardens.

That's not true. When the barn asks for a specific consist for inspection on a specific date, they always get it. Otherwise RTO management will be penalized. Missing an inspection is a very big deal.

You're confusing barn space with storage space. The two barns at JYD have enough work space, but the yard has insufficient storage space given the fleet's size.

Jamaica Yard's shoddy maintenance reputation was earned thanks to its policy of deferred maintenance. Their way of thinking was, "why fix it when you can bury it?" In other words, why fix a wiper or a defective headlight when you can cut the train in two and bury the defective end in the middle of the consist. That's good for now, but just wait when you have to re-cut the train later on trying to make up trains for service only to have all these problems appear at once.

That's not true. When the barn asks for a specific consist for inspection on a specific date, they always get it. Otherwise RTO management will be penalized. Missing an inspection is a very big deal.

You're confusing barn space with storage space. The two barns at JYD have enough work space, but the yard has insufficient storage space given the fleet's size.

Jamaica Yard's shoddy maintenance reputation was earned thanks to its policy of deferred maintenance. Their way of thinking was, "why fix it when you can bury it?" In other words, why fix a wiper or a defective headlight when you can cut the train in two and bury the defective end in the middle of the consist. That's good for now, but just wait when you have to re-cut the train later on trying to make up trains for service only to have all these problems appear at once.

Now that is probably one of the best statements I've come across all day, not to mention that it's a definite fact too.

Hopefully that's all behind Jamaica Yard now. It took them being embarrassed by upper management with the presentation of a big desk thermometer, signifying air conditioning failures, for the head honcho's desk. That's not a secret, it was in all the papers.

Archived