(E) and (F) Survey by Strappies

FamousNYLover

That's not true. When the barn asks for a specific consist for inspection on a specific date, they always get it. Otherwise RTO management will be penalized. Missing an inspection is a very big deal.

You're confusing barn space with storage space. The two barns at JYD have enough work space, but the yard has insufficient storage space given the fleet's size.

Jamaica Yard's shoddy maintenance reputation was earned thanks to its policy of deferred maintenance. Their way of thinking was, "why fix it when you can bury it?" In other words, why fix a wiper or a defective headlight when you can cut the train in two and bury the defective end in the middle of the consist. That's good for now, but just wait when you have to re-cut the train later on trying to make up trains for service only to have all these problems appear at once.

Sorry then, thats who it was explained to me by someone I know from CED. I guess he had the wrong into, thanks for the correction. But wouldn't having a larger fleet mean that the cars assigned to Jamaica go longer between inspections because they have limited space?

Hopefully that's all behind Jamaica Yard now. It took them being embarrassed by upper management with the presentation of a big desk thermometer, signifying air conditioning failures, for the head honcho's desk. That's not a secret, it was in all the papers.

Not to mention now that trains are in 5-car sets rather than 2-car pairs, they have no excuse to let the wipers/headlights/front display signs all be broken. Excellent post you made. I had no idea the deferred maintenance was 'that' bad.

Not to mention now that trains are in 5-car sets rather than 2-car pairs, they have no excuse to let the wipers/headlights/front display signs all be broken. Excellent post you made. I had no idea the deferred maintenance was 'that' bad.

And pretty soon, it'll be the 1980s all over again, thanks to Jamaica!

It's because they have the largest fleet in the system and very limited space in the car barn for inspections. If you ever ride the Queens Blvd line after midnights, you will see that most of there trains are layed-up on the express tracks Union Turnpike out towards 179th Street. Also some of the cars on the (R) line get stored between 36th Street and 59th Street. As a result, it takes along time for them to inspect all the cars assigned to the yard.

i dont think all the trains laid up between 75ave and 179st is a issue of lack of space in the jamaica yard but convenience because it makes it easier to access the trains for the morning rush

Yup, I'm also surprised none of those trains like at Union Turnpike had been 'tagged' late at night when nearly no one is around.

you have to remember union turnpike station is right under the criminal courts and borough hall building in queens and the next station north is van wyck briarwood which has a transit police precinct

Archived