Keep waiting for that free crosstown bus with more 311 info, Mayor Bloomberg says

Harry

A day after winning reelection, Mayor Bloomberg on Thursday seemed to step back from a campaign proposal to have free crosstown bus service.

The "real issue" at the core of the no-fare proposal was speeding bus travel by reducing time spent boarding passengers, Bloomberg noted.

That goal might be achieved through technology, Bloomberg said after touring the city's 311 call center with MTA Chairman Jay Walder.

"One of the things Jay just mentioned was a different technology may be able to accomplish part of that, but that's another one of those things down the road."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/11/06/2009-11-06_keep_waiting_for_that_free_crosstown_bus_bloomberg_says_day_after_election.html#ixzz0W76jxwSO

post-1-133288581134_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581134_thumb.jpg

I'm really tired of having Bloomberg as mayor , come on he made so many promises and spent so much money in campaigning which all could have been used for other resources.

I second that!! This guy bought the election.....and alot of people fell for his crap........see you in 4 years........such a loooonngggg time to be stuck with this guy again......I think he will run for a 4th term......I see it in his future.......the post always has a good cartoon on page 6.....the other day they had one of him and they were crowing him and the reporter was asking him questions.......look so fitting.....I love page 6 cartoons!!!

Like Bloomberg has any power over the MTA. He wishes he did and the people that voted for him fell for it if they believed that.

Sad thing is, there probably wouldn't be much difference under Thompson.

Both of you are correct. The city only appoints people to the MTA board, just like Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, and whomever else who has MTA NYS services (Conn DOT does their own thing, IIRC). Just as the County Executive where I live, has very little say in MTA, NYC has the same little say. This agency is ran by those appointed by the Gov. Of the State of New York, not the City of New York. MTA doesn't answer to the Mayor of the City of New York, they answer to the Gov. and NYS lawmakers. When MTA cries broke, they get additional funding from the State of New York, not the City of New York. All those things yall Mayor said he will change at MTA, he can't. NYC doesn't run this agency, NYS runs this agency. Just look at your MetroCards, and you will see MTA Chairman whomever, and Gov. whomever. Not Mayor of City of New York, whomever...........

Archived