What's with Q42 Service?

SevenEleven

Well I don't usually rant but this time I have to. Before the bailout, the Q42 was proposed for reduced hours. Its next-door neiighbor (Jamaica Center Term. Wise), the Q84 was proposed for elimination. Now after the bailout, it seems that the Q42 has its reduced service but the Q84 has more. What's up with that?

Nowadays when I'm coming home from school (during the PM rush),there are many times that the Q42 queue is piling up like the Q84 and the N4 queues and yet, the Q84 can get buses back to back while the Q42 riders suffer in the impending cold weather.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this? (And don't say, the Q42 is not a used bus route. it wasn't reduced nothing for nothing you know)

So yeah, explain this to me..

Throw logic out the window w/ the MTA....

best I can think of right now... well...

Lines pile up on the Q42 b/c it isn't as frequent as the Q84... Then you gotta ask yourself, how many runs on the Q42 where there are lines that pile up, to the tune that you say they do?

If Q84's are coming back to back, take note of how many ppl. are on each bus.... are either one as crowded as any given Q42?

It sounds like your gripe is that the Q84 gets the service that it doesn't deserve.... I'm not saying I agree or disagree... What I will say is that, service won't go up on the Q42 due to it's distance traveled, the # of total riders (let's face it, Jamaica would rather dedicate more buses for the Q4, 5, 17 & the 85), etc. etc.....

(and please don't mention the q64... )

As far as increased service on the Q84, after putting that route up on the chopping block... well that I don't have an answer for/opinion on.... probably guilt, Iono man... then again, the area w/ which the Q84 serves doesn't exactly hold much political clout....

The Q17 is a good example that dedicated service, On Main Street I see about 1 bus every 3 minutes leaving from Flushing. That line runs like friggin' water I tell you, sometimes there aren't even that many riders and by the time the bus hits Hillside Avenue the bus has already lost three-fourths of its passengers! I don't know about service from Jamaica to Flushing as I have only taken the Q17 from Fresh Meadows, still the bus is around half-full by then, vacant seats!

Well I don't usually rant but this time I have to. Before the bailout, the Q42 was proposed for reduced hours. Its next-door neiighbor (Jamaica Center Term. Wise), the Q84 was proposed for elimination. Now after the bailout, it seems that the Q42 has its reduced service but the Q84 has more. What's up with that?

Nowadays when I'm coming home from school (during the PM rush),there are many times that the Q42 queue is piling up like the Q84 and the N4 queues and yet, the Q84 can get buses back to back while the Q42 riders suffer in the impending cold weather.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this? (And don't say, the Q42 is not a used bus route. it wasn't reduced nothing for nothing you know)

So yeah, explain this to me..

I don't know. It's real funny because before the bailout, the Q(4)(2)was to get its weekend service back

The Q17 is a good example that dedicated service, On Main Street I see about 1 bus every 3 minutes leaving from Flushing. That line runs like friggin' water I tell you, sometimes there aren't even that many riders and by the time the bus hits Hillside Avenue the bus has already lost three-fourths of its passengers! I don't know about service from Jamaica to Flushing as I have only taken the Q17 from Fresh Meadows, still the bus is around half-full by then, vacant seats!

The Q17 runs in bunches. What irritates me is that the local and limited always comes simultaneously. I agree that the bulk of Q17 ridership is on Kissena Blvd. By the time it reaches 188st/Fresh Meadows most of the riders are gone.

Throw logic out the window w/ the MTA....

best I can think of right now... well...

Lines pile up on the Q42 b/c it isn't as frequent as the Q84... Then you gotta ask yourself, how many runs on the Q42 where there are lines that pile up, to the tune that you say they do?

If Q84's are coming back to back, take note of how many ppl. are on each bus.... are either one as crowded as any given Q42?

It sounds like your gripe is that the Q84 gets the service that it doesn't deserve.... I'm not saying I agree or disagree... What I will say is that, service won't go up on the Q42 due to it's distance traveled, the # of total riders (let's face it, Jamaica would rather dedicate more buses for the Q4, 5, 17 & the 85), etc. etc.....

(and please don't mention the q64... )

As far as increased service on the Q84, after putting that route up on the chopping block... well that I don't have an answer for/opinion on.... probably guilt, Iono man... then again, the area w/ which the Q84 serves doesn't exactly hold much political clout....

Q84 ridership is lower than Q4, Q5, and Q85 ridership. However, the Q84 probably carries as much riders as the Q1 (and the Q1 has owl service). The Q42 is useless, except for seniors who don't want to walk to catch the Q4.

The Q17 runs in bunches. What irritates me is that the local and limited always comes simultaneously

yep, I also notice that.... whenever I come off the QM4 & walk to HHE/164th... since I never seem to catch a q65, the q17 & the 17 LTD arrives right behind each other.... I usually take the 17 that's the least crowded... dam route crawls on kissena heading towards flushing anyway....

it's the same deal w/ the B35 here... the LTD (coming from sunset park) is scheduled to meet up w/ the local @ Mcdonald av... whichever bus is in "front" after having picked up passengers @ E. 18th st, is the bus that will remain in front for the duration... and a lot of times, it's the local bus, rendering ltd service pretty much useless after that point....

Q84 ridership is lower than Q4, Q5, and Q85 ridership. However, the Q84 probably carries as much riders as the Q1 (and the Q1 has owl service). The Q42 is useless, except for seniors who don't want to walk to catch the Q4.

I don't dispute this.

My post was more, trying to fully understand where ol dude (threadstrater) was coming from w/ his rant/post....

I understand where you're coming from, when I'm waiting for the Q85 at Jamaica Center I see a bunch of Q4's & Q5's come and go while the Q85's line keeps getting longer and longer which really makes no sense to me because the Q85 has the highest ridership out of all the JAM routes (except the Q17).

The Q85 ends up packed while a lot of the Q4's & Q5's have plenty of seats left. Its very annoying.

Archived