Rendell blames union for talks failure

metsfan

By Paul Nussbaum

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

A tentative agreement to end the tranit strike by SEPTA workers collapsed, Gov. Rendell said early Saturday evening. Rendell blamed union leadership for the breakdown and demanded that union members be allowed to vote directly on the proposed contact, or he vowed to take back nearly $7 million in state funds offered as a contract incentive.

There was no immediate response from from Transit Workers Local 234.

In a press conference this evening, Rendell, flanked by Mayor Nutter, SEPTA'S chairman Pat Deon and other SEPTA officials, said he will no longer act as an intermediary in the negotiations.

"I'm out, Rendell said emphatically. "I have a state to run."

Rendell called the failure to reach an agreement "nuts," and said that "he had never seen anything like it in 32 years of government."

Rendell said the unon had made new demands Saturday after a handshake agreement yesterday with U.S. Rep. Bob Brady (D, Pa.). The new demands included an independent audit of the SEPTA pension plan and a clause revisiting the health-care provision if Congress approves a better national health care plan.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20091107_Union_leaders_set_to_vote_on_deal_to_end_strike.html

--------------------------------------------

I am in support of this strike lasting till monday afternoon, but next week people need to be able to get back to normal.

- A

I can't figure this strike out. I been following it and I was with them at first the the Union Leader keeps trying to change his demands after a tenitive agreements. The Gov Randell who in my opinion is a fair man tryed to help get this resolved and they push him to the curve. I think the leader of Local 234 is nuts. We in NYC wish we could get a 11.5% raise and a bonus. The only thing I don't like its a 5 year deal.

We in NYC wish we could get a 11.5% raise and a bonus. The only thing I don't like its a 5 year deal.

11.5% over 5 years with one zero; the signing bonus is a different term for lump sum. We got, or will get, 11% over 3. Big difference.

:septa: isn't as funded as (MTA). In fact (MTA) electric bill could fund :septa: for 2 years.

The leader guy seems to have lost his mind. Must have different groups asking him to do different things or something. Following up on events since friday, i wasnt aware the city offered them basically what they originally wanted, then he changed his mind & prolonged the strike w/ the changed demands.

i was in support of this strike from the beginning, but in light of all this confusion & mind changing, i think they need to go back to work at this point & settle a new contract without disrupting transportation for millions of people.

- A

Archived