No. 7 subway extension forces eviction of Open Door homeless shelter

Harry

The Port Authority plans to evict the city's largest homeless drop-in center to make room for an extension of the No. (7) subway, city officials said.

The Open Door shelter must leave its spot on W. 41st St. behind the Port Authority Bus Terminal at the end of March, said Robert Hess, commissioner of the Department of Homeless Services.

Hess said the authority wanted the center vacated earlier, but he asked the bus terminal's general manager for a brief reprieve so the homeless men and women wouldn't get kicked out during winter.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/11/07/2009-11-07_no_7_subway_extension_forces_eviction_of_open_door_homeless_shelter.html#ixzz0WEEDnmSy

post-1-133288581139_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581139_thumb.jpg

Well, there's always the UN Building. They could make a better use of that place by making it a homeless shelter :P

Not to take this too far o/t, but I never cared about the UN, they are just useless and a waste of money and a nightmare everytime they have a meeting there. Why can't that place be in one of the other 4 boroughs? At least it won't impact Manhattan too much.

I help the poor when i can.. But i think a proper home would be needed for these Homeless people.. NOT even the SUBWAY. A whole 1 car R142 on the (2) is taken by a homeless and stinks bad! With the other cars packed...

Lol, true. A climate controled* station [like the new South ferry station] would be just as good as sleeping in a subway car :)

*I think it is.

Yeah that would make the Station more of a resort for em.. Maybe the t/a should build a station called "Hobo Station" Then grab a retireed car and place it in there and then they can sleep all day..:P

Maybe pit Bloomberg in there too..

At least the bus isnt a home for em.. Once a bus ends its service before a "Relay" all passengers gotta go byebye! On a train, if a t/a worker isnt checking the cars for left passengers before yard then they will stay right in there..

Free/no cost housing on the west side over the west side line near 63rd st & the old IRT traction power plant where there's a bunch of empty lots would be a good alternative, giving all the homeless in the city a place to be warm and safe.

- A

Yeah that would make the Station more of a resort for em.. Maybe the t/a should build a station called "Hobo Station" Then grab a retireed car and place it in there and then they can sleep all day..:P

Maybe pit Bloomberg in there too..

At least the bus isnt a home for em.. Once a bus ends its service before a "Relay" all passengers gotta go byebye! On a train, if a t/a worker isnt checking the cars for left passengers before yard then they will stay right in there..

I got sent to corona yard once. It was like 3 am and i fell asleep. The workers were very thoughtful and concerned & cautioned me to be more careful in the future.

- A

I got sent to corona yard once. It was like 3 am and i fell asleep. The workers were very thoughtful and concerned & cautioned me to be more careful in the future.

- A

did they walk you out thru the yard? And what did you do to pass the time? Yell?:confused:

did they walk you out thru the yard? And what did you do to pass the time? Yell?:confused:

Yea, i walked out through the end towards the depot by the buffers after someone noticed me who was walking by, i was standing in the open end doorway. No yelling, just a lot of apologies & thank yous. The whole thing was kinda a blur because i was so sleep deprived. Took a 7 back to tsq, then walked to nyp to wake myself up in the freezing air, then train to trenton, then taxi to house.

- A

Oh how I wish they did that to the crackhead clinic a few doors down from my building. The Hobos at least clean up their act years ago. unfortunate, but those lots mentioned around west end ave around the 60s could be used for them. Not bad idea. At least the reprieve shows they have some consideration for the homeless. Although some of the characters over there get a bit annoying at times.

Yea, i walked out through the end towards the depot by the buffers after someone noticed me who was walking by, i was standing in the open end doorway. No yelling, just a lot of apologies & thank yous. The whole thing was kinda a blur because i was so sleep deprived. Took a 7 back to tsq, then walked to nyp to wake myself up in the freezing air, then train to trenton, then taxi to house.

- A

Actually i meant yell for help but good thing you were ok! btw whats a rail buffer?

Actually i meant yell for help but good thing you were ok! btw whats a rail buffer?

Physical barrier to stop runaway trains & to keep them from rolling off the end of he track when stored.

Where the train stops before the end of the tracks. :P

And i think he was somewhere around here

I was on that exact track, but not NTT. I walked out through the main gate across the parking lot to the willets point shea station.

- A

- A

The reason why the workers were nice because that is a big f'up. The workers who were supposed to clear out the train, could have gotten in trouble.

- A

Sounds like a crazy adventure.Now how many of you woke up in the yard.

I've fallen asleep on LIRR trains, got to mineola & was woken up by crew person asking for ticket which i was too tired to remember to purchase at nyp. :P Happened like 5 times. I really didn't sleep properly at all 2001-2007.

As far as the sleeping into the yard, yea they seemed a bit "how teh f did that happen", but i've known other people who have fallen asleep & gotten stuck on sidings & storage tracks in the tunnel vs out in the open. One time, this chick i knew, had to spend several hours, like 6 on a train all by herself in the dark.

- A

What does it matter if they get evicted. They are homeless, so they are use to being out in the street..........

Only homeless families, then I would feel sympathy, cause no child should be without a home...........

Everyone is someone's child.

- A

The reason why the workers were nice because that is a big f'up. The workers who were supposed to clear out the train, could have gotten in trouble.

not to mention they made him walk through the yard? wow. that is a big f'up indeed. it happened a couple of times within the last month and both times the yard dispatcher was notified and the workers were told to take the train from corona back to willets point to drop them off... not make the passenger walk through the yard to exit. that is dangerous.

Archived