Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

What's with B45 Service?

bknightshadow45

Sometimes I ride the B45 bus from Crown Heights to get from work and my friends house. Anyway I decided to ride the bus to work today. I walked to the bus stop at Atlantic and Washington Ave. I waited for an half-hour for the bus to arrive. I decided to walk to Atlantic Terminal to catch the 4 train since I had to take the bus to Utica Ave. About half way to the mall I caught up with the bus. The bus was SRO and it was over 15 minutes late. I came to the bus stop shortly after around 12:10pm. I got on the bus around 12:45pm. I usually don't complain about the bus since it maybe stuck in traffic from Downtown. On my way home from my friends house I decided to take the B45 home. It was after 7:30 when I got to the bus stop. I did not have to wait long from the bus but it came to my attention that some people waited over an hour for the B45! I talked to an old man that was ranting about the poor bus service in black neighborhoods and that he urge everyone to call the MTA. The man told me that he waited for the bus around 6:30pm tonight and the bus did not arrived until 7:45pm. He also told me that this is not the first time that this have happen that people wait for a long time for the B45. I am wondering that anyone that rides the B45 or any other bus that you have to wait 75 minutes for a single bus in NYC!

I've waited 45 minutes in the middle of the afternoon for a B68....which is odd...but why did the old man have to throw the "black neighborhood" in there...like it's come conspiracy, I'd say that half of the routes in the city serve bad/black (whatever you want to call them) neighborhoods...do they all have bad service?? Come on.

If you really put the "black neighborhood" statement into perspective, you would think that the "black neighborhoods" would have better service because these "black neighborhoods" have a higher percentage of public transit users as opposed to so-called "non-black neighborhoods."

Maybe its just that the service levels on the B45 are insufficient and that it has nothing to do with the clientèle of the line.

If you really put the "black neighborhood" statement into perspective, you would think that the "black neighborhoods" would have better service because these "black neighborhoods" have a higher percentage of public transit users as opposed to so-called "non-black neighborhoods."

Maybe its just that the service levels on the B45 are insufficient and that it has nothing to do with the clientèle of the line.

Just because there are more people does not mean they are equally represented.

Neighborhoods with a majority of minorities often don't have as much political sway. They have very little power.

Black Neighborhoods the old man didnt have to say anything about it, that really doesnt have nothing to do with it...Ive seen a B45 bus coming from downtown brooklyn once driving slowly with emergency signals on in service for the B45 i guess the bus was having malfunction problems

I remember waiting over an hour and a half for a Q85 at Jamaica Center, I don't know what was up that day and it wasn't just the Q85 either (it was also the Q4 & Q5 too a slightly lesser extent), I waited from about 3PM and got on the Q85 when it was dark outside (it was Fall so it got dark early). The line was 3-deep, normally a bus comes when its 1-deep, about 4 Q85's showed up all at once and I think people got on for free. This was back in 2004 though and has never happened since.

I waited an hour for a B1 recently which travels through all white neighborhoods. I've heard others complain that they wait 30 to 45 minutes at times. If the problems are worse in Black neighborhoods it's because I've realized it's because Black people tend to complain less beause they sort of feel that waiting is just a normal part of life. Instead of posting here, you should let the MTA know. I'm not saying that something will be done but if they don't know there is a problem, then definitely nothing will be done. You can't assume they know something is wrong if you don't tell them. When I waited for the B1, I told them the next day. They saw that something was wrong and a few days later added two extras to the route and promised to monitor it more closely.

I going to let the MTA know about the poor service on the B45. Does anyone know the contact info to report poor service?

Give them specific times and direction you wanted to go. Also tell them the stop tht you were waiting at because they will write back and ask you for that information.

Give them specific times and direction you wanted to go. Also tell them the stop tht you were waiting at because they will write back and ask you for that information.

Thanks for the info. I plan on to write the e-mail this week. I keep everyone posted with the response.

If you don't get a response, the next step is going to your Community Board to find out if others have similar problems. If so they can have someone come down to hear the problems. I've found that to be more effective than elected officials who think their job ends after writing one letter for you. I've also found e-mail to be more effective than US mail which takes two months for a response.

Below is the e-mail response that I received from the MTA regarding service on the B45.

This is in response to your recent e-mail complaint to NYC Transit Senior Vice President Joseph J. Smith regarding service on the B45 route. You reported delays on the route during the afternoon and evening hours on November 7, 2009.

We forwarded your concerns to our Road Operations Division for review. Our operating records indicate that one of our buses on the B45 route was in an accident during the early afternoon, which caused the delay you experienced. The resulting traffic congestion contributed to the buses running together.

We also reviewed the problem you reported on Saturday evening. Service towards the Downtown area on Saturday evenings during this time period is scheduled to run at fifteen-minute intervals. Road Operations personnel indicated that shuttle buses were running in place of the “A” Train that evening and contributed to the B45 delays experienced by our customers. Road operations personnel will monitor the B45 route, with particular attention to the time periods you referenced. When service disruptions occur, personnel will make every effort to utilize service adjustment techniques to ensure that bus service adheres as close as possible to the current schedule.

If you have any future comments regarding bus service, we encourage you to call our Bus Customer Relations Center at 1-888-NYCT-BUS (692-8287) weekdays between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Voicemail is available at all other times. For your convenience, you may also fax your concerns to 718-927-7498, or e-mail me directly.

We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced and appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention.

which Brooklyn bus depot control B45? is it Flatbush Depot?

for my opion ( just blame the bus depot or bus dispatcher?

the depot that handling control B45. not doing very well.

B45 should or switch to another depot that control or handle B45.

Ah B45 runs under East New York Depot!

which Brooklyn bus depot control B45? is it Flatbush Depot?

for my opion ( just blame the bus depot or bus dispatcher?

the depot that handling control B45. not doing very well.

B45 should or switch to another depot that control or handle B45.

East New York Depot operates all B45 buses. As mention in the e-mail I received from the MTA, buses from East New York Depot was operating the A train shuttle bus and there was a shortage of buses that day along the B45. In a normal Saturday, the B45 runs every 15 minutes but some people was waiting 75 minutes for the B45! I have no clue that when shuttle buses run that it affects other bus routes.

Some bus services are more frequent than others. Some can come as frequent as 5-7 mintues, while another comes in 15-20 minute intervals. I've ridden two bus routes B82 and B83 that are based out of East New York Depot and them coming in about 10 minutes.

Bus service is affected by traffic and weather conditions and sometimes other factors such as accidents like the one you brought up in your previous posts.

According to the Brooklyn Bus Map, this B45 bus which runs on St Johns Place comes in 9-10 minute intervals.

I have to agree, east-west travel by bus in crown hgts. absolutely sucks.... not one of those routes are reliable (B45, 65, 71.... think I'm missing another one... feel free to correct me...), and each of them all crawl going from point A to point B....

before moving to East flatbush, my moms, grandma, uncle, etc.... used to live over on Rogers av (rogers/president IINM... I wasn't born when they lived over there)... anyway, they say the bus always ran like that while they were living there....I'm just shuddering at the thought of infrequent service on the B44.... yikes....

Not that I agree w/ this notion, but I think east-west travel by bus is so lackluster up there, due to the prevalence of the 2/3 trains.... could this be an indicator of why service isn't up to par? perhaps..... b/c believe it or not, you do get ppl. that ride the B41 from the junction, on up to downtown brooklyn, so it's no other reason I can think of, other than a general lack of service, as to why ppl. aren't opting to take B45's downtown....

Not for nothin, but I have seen people (matter fact, happened just last night) on the B46... that got on @ st johns pl, take the bus to eastern pkwy... and everytime I see that, I say to myself, wtf is the point... and these don't be senior citizens either...

Anyway, do people still ride the B65? maybe some of that service should be taken away & added to the B45... it's like, that route comes when it wants, and that's how I always remembered the B45 being... and it sounds as if service on that route is still the same, judging by your post...

Anyway, do people still ride the B65? maybe some of that service should be taken away & added to the B45... it's like, that route comes when it wants, and that's how I always remembered the B45 being... and it sounds as if service on that route is still the same, judging by your post...

Plenty of people still ride it, during the week at least. Both routes have similar passenger loads, so if your familiar with that, it's the same with the B65.

I have no clue that when shuttle buses run that it affects other bus routes.

It would if they borrowed buses or drivers from the B45 to service the shuttles. Glad their response satisfied you.

I used to ride the B45 weekly when they ran the trolley coaches. If you think service is bad today, it was worse then. I'd say about 10 to 20% of the time when I rode it, there would be a breakdown and the line would stop all together until a maintenance truck could come and fix the problem if the driver couldn't reattach the trolley pole himself. You would just sit on the bus for 45 minutes and wait if it was your vehicle that broke down. And it wasn't even the fault of the vehicles. It was the double-parked trucks that would just sit in the roadway thinking the coaches could pass. Sometimes they could and sometimes they couldn't. If the driver made it around the obstacle successfully, all the passengers gave the driver a round of applause. Cars usually didn't pose a problem.

Archived