R44 and R46 cab

Nature

Sorry to bring this up but, R44 5278 who gaveyou permission to use my picture without asking me.

Under Section 107 (Fair Use) of the Copyright Act, he can use the image since it's being used in an educational context.

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

...and of course set handbrakes on the train so it won't roll away after the air bleeds off

Yeah, that concept confused me a bit when I was studying for the T/O exam. In a truck, the brakes lock up once the air drops below a certain pressure (30-45 psi). The truck WILL NOT move until the air reservoirs have been recharged. With a train, it seems to be the opposite: air draining over time can cause a train to creep. I imagine that's because while air pressure keeps the spring brakes in a truck retracted, it keeps the brakes applied in a train. Would someone mind clarifying this? Thanks.

Yeah, that concept confused me a bit when I was studying for the T/O exam. In a truck, the brakes lock up once the air drops below a certain pressure (30-45 psi). The truck WILL NOT move until the air reservoirs have been recharged. With a train, it seems to be the opposite: air draining over time can cause a train to creep. I imagine that's because while air pressure keeps the spring brakes in a truck retracted, it keeps the brakes applied in a train. Would someone mind clarifying this? Thanks.

ON everything other then the NTT trains, the hand brake is a crank that manually aplies the brake shoes to the wheel.

From Wiki so it may not be 100%

Virtually all railroad rolling stock is equipped with manually-operated mechanical hand brake devices that set and release the brakes. Most of these involve a chain linked to the brake rigging, most often at the brake cylinder, that when tightened pull the piston out against the releasing springs, thus applying the brakes on the car (if there is only one brake cylinder per car) or bogie (if there is more than once cylinder per car). Newer locomotives have electric systems that simply place an electric motor in place of the chain winding mechanism. This brake acts independent of the action of the automatic air brakes, which function collectively when coupled in a train and are under the control of the locomotive engineer.

ON everything other then the NTT trains, the hand brake is a crank that manually aplies the brake shoes to the wheel.

From Wiki so it may not be 100%

Virtually all railroad rolling stock is equipped with manually-operated mechanical hand brake devices that set and release the brakes. Most of these involve a chain linked to the brake rigging, most often at the brake cylinder, that when tightened pull the piston out against the releasing springs, thus applying the brakes on the car (if there is only one brake cylinder per car) or bogie (if there is more than once cylinder per car). Newer locomotives have electric systems that simply place an electric motor in place of the chain winding mechanism. This brake acts independent of the action of the automatic air brakes, which function collectively when coupled in a train and are under the control of the locomotive engineer.

Yeah, but regardless of the hand brake, if just the emergency brake is set, and the air drains, why would the train creep off? Again, if a truck's reservoirs are depleted of air, the cams lock and the vehicle will not move. If a train's reservoirs are depleted, the train will roll. Does the air pressure keep the brakes applied? In a truck, the air pressure keeps the brakes FROM applying.

Yeah, but regardless of the hand brake, if just the emergency brake is set, and the air drains, why would the train creep off? Again, if a truck's reservoirs are depleted of air, the cams lock and the vehicle will not move. If a train's reservoirs are depleted, the train will roll. Does the air pressure keep the brakes applied? In a truck, the air pressure keeps the brakes FROM applying.

The brakes don't lock on trains. If the train is in emergency and the power goes off, the air drains out and the train WILL move. That is why when a train is in an area where power is off, the train crew must secure the train, meaning set the hand brakes.

I'll try to explain this. Let me know if you have any questions on it:

NON NEW TECH (since this is what we're talking about):

Train brakes bleed off over time. The way a train goes into emergency on a SMEE car is the brake pipe dumps the air in it (which is put there when the T/O "charges" the brake system). It's a fail safe, basically. The brake pipe is always supposed to be fully charged in normal ops. Pulled cord, hit a red, train uncouples unexpectedly, brake pipe rupture...air comes out of the brake pipe and the train goes into emergency.

Anyway, when the train goes into emergency, this also causes air to go into the brake cylinder and apply the brakes. So with the train in emergency you have air in the brake cylinders, and none in the trainline brake pipe.

Now nothing in a brake system is truly "airtight". Components such as a brake valve are tested to ensure a very low level of leakage, but they are not 100% airtight, so over time that air will bleed off. It can take hours in some cases. And this is fine, because this level of performance does not interfere with normal operations. But what happens when a train is laid up is this: The only air on the train effectively is the air in the cylinders. When this air bleeds off, there is literally nothing holding the train in place, and it can roll. So that's the reason to set handbrakes, so that doesn't happen.

New Techs

New techs apply a "parking brake" which is basically an automatic handbrake as they are put into emergency, so there is no need to physically set a handbrake.

Archived