History & Evolution of the NYC Bus Map

Harry

Which style of bus map do you like the most?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of bus map do you like the most?

• 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • Present

This thread is for discussing the history and evolution of maps for the Buses of New York. Keep this discussion civil and have fun.

If you have a map that isn't shown here, contact myself via PM so we can work on getting it up for others to see.

1970's

1976a.jpg1976.jpg1977.jpg

1980's

1981.jpg1980.jpg1984.jpg

1990's

1990b.jpg

1995.jpg

1990a.jpg

Present

2006.jpg2008.jpg2007.jpg

Nostalgia

1980a.jpg1976b.jpg

1977a.jpg

2008a.jpg

This thread is OWNAGE. I have to say this, the colors and texture for the 1980's and early 1990's maps were really cool. And its the first time I'm seeing it considering that I've started collecting maps around 1998 or so. (I was still young to realize that I was missing out mind you :()

Since I don't want to "force" you to scan all Bronx bus maps at once, I prefer to ask :P

* Is it true that the Bx26 went to Fordham Center - 192 St in the past? If it did, then going to Bedford Park was like a "part time rush hour service"? (I know it was highlited in light orange, that's for sure) I'm sure it was shown in my 1998 map, but ever since 8 years, I've lost that map. :(

*When was the last time the Bx55 went to Yankee Stadium? What was the purpose of the 55 bus going there, despite the fact that it was meant to stop at all (8) train stops at 3rd Ave?

*I would love to see the path the Bx24 went.

Once I get answers for my questions, then I'll ask for more. :P

The Brooklyn Bus Map you show from the 1970s actually was released around March, 1981. It's release was delayed by three weeks because I volunteered to review it for errors after it was ready to go. I found 96 errors which were corrected. Some were very obvious and didn't relate to the bus routes. The Brooklyn Botanic Garden was listed as Botanic Gardens and showed where the Zoo is. It finally was released with only 6 errors that I somehow overlooked.

It was the first decent map of Brooklyn Bus routes ever map, replacing the smaller Brooklyn / Staten Island Map in use from the late 1960s until 1981 showing Brooklyn on the front and Staten Island on the back without any street grid.

The Staten Island Map you show from the 70s was released even later and also had a white water background.

• 2 weeks later...
Onoes, this topic died. :eek:

I've peeked around Wikipedia, and it looks like the Bronx was the only borough to have a bus route revamp. Was there a reason why?

I would like to see a 1984 and 1998 bronx map scan if its alright. :P

This thread will never die. :cool:

1984 Bronx Bus Map

1984_NYCTA_Bronx_Bus_Map.jpg

Hey Harry, please have that 70s Staten island bus map enlarged for me so I can take a closer look at it. :cool:

Take a look.

1977 Staten Island Bus Map

1977_NYCTA_Staten_Island_Bus_Map.jpg

Here's some photos of the 1969 Brooklyn/Staten Island Bus Map:

I'll post photos of the mid-70's maps at a later date. This is just a teaser :P

Please do Mr. Zman. Also, if I can help in any way to get full scans of them please do not hesitate to let me know. :cool:

Onoes, this topic died. :eek:

I've peeked around Wikipedia, and it looks like the Bronx was the only borough to have a bus route revamp. Was there a reason why?

:P

Yes, because the efforts to revamp routes in the other boroughs in the 1980s were huge failures. The Staten Island study only succeeded in changing about two routes. Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Brooklyn - None. The last major Brooklyn changes were in 1978 in Southern Brooklyn before the modern maps.

Archived