History & Evolution of the NYC Bus Map

Harry

Which style of bus map do you like the most?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which style of bus map do you like the most?

• 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • Present

At no cost? I'll be happy to scan the following Bx maps: 12/2002, 7/2004, 9/2005, 9/2006, 7/2008 and 7/2009. :P

It'll cost you but it can't be that bad to scan so many paper documents, although it depends how much you have. If anything, I'm waiting a while to build up my collection of maps before I have them scanned as a way to "preserve" them electronically. Then I'll scan my G.O. papers and scan those too to preserve them.

Have you considered going to Kinko's or Staples to have the scans done completely in one shot?

This would get cost prohibitive in a heartbeat. I have the 1974 and 1980's bus maps from all five boroughs, the 1969 Bklyn/SI map that you have already seen, plus a Fifth Av Coach map from the mid-50's. I also have numerous subway maps dating all the way back to 1928 plus other nostalgic maps from cities such as Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, London and Paris.

I also have a big time trust problem with Kinko's employees as I have seen how they have handled other peoples items with disregard and I don't want to have these mint-condition maps damaged, which I am certain they would do. Maybe there's another way? I am willing to work with Harry to donate scans to this site.

This would get cost prohibitive in a heartbeat. I have the 1974 and 1980's bus maps from all five boroughs, the 1969 Bklyn/SI map that you have already seen, plus a Fifth Av Coach map from the mid-50's. I also have numerous subway maps dating all the way back to 1928 plus other nostalgic maps from cities such as Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, London and Paris.

I also have a big time trust problem with Kinko's employees as I have seen how they have handled other peoples items with disregard and I don't want to have these mint-condition maps damaged, which I am certain they would do. Maybe there's another way? I am willing to work with Harry to donate scans to this site.

Considering the numerous amounts of paper transit documents you have, then it may get up the costs somewhat. I'm not doing scanning yet, but that would mean I'd have to put off laminating my documents if I want to "preserve" them, such as my G.O. papers and route maps that I've collected (all expired, of course). If anything, I'd scan my maps first because I don't really want them laminated; I'd rather have them folded up although I'm really considering laminating them to be safe.

And do this: when you go to Kinko's, tell them this: "These maps are from the 1930s and they're very sentimental to me. Rip em and I'll be sure to rip your dang heads off!" B)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone checked out the latest bus maps, for Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. The MTA bus company local routes as well as the express routes are shown, such as the QM, BM1 and BXM18. The problem is that the bus logo bullets are the same so it's hard to differentiate between MTA bus and New York City Transit buses.

I'll give you the links and you'll see what I'm talking about. QueensBrooklyn The Bronx

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the '84 Bx Map, Harry. Sorry for not mentioning it before...

What was with the split service as seen on te '84 map? Bx22: I understand since the 39 didn't go to Clason Pt until September 1990. The 16: was spliced as one service eventually (I think since last year) The 12/14/40/55: never understood one bit. Any info?

Of the map designs, I prefer the current and late-1990s ones. They seem to be the most attracting with the better use of symbols and color. Plus, I grew up on it. The oldest version of the current design is an August 1994 Manhattan map. On it were these:

1. the M18 was purple and was the same route as the M3, from East Village to Fort George. The only difference was the M18 traveled up and down Convent and Morningside Avenues.

2. The M101 and M102 went to City Hall. The M103 didn't exist them.

3. The M106 was named the M19 and traveled up and down Lexington and 3rd instead of Madison and 5th.

4. The M116 didn't loop around Palatino.

5. The M60 didn't go to Broadway and 106th Street. It stopped much shorter, around 116th.

6. The M31 was just extended and combined with the M58. The Lex-61st Street terminal was discontinued.

7. The M10 used to go to Battery Park City and Abingdon Square until the M20 split in 1999/2000.

8. The M35 went to Astoria AND Ward's Island.

9. The M100 didn't extend to 220th Street.

10. The Bx12 appeared from the top of the map, as it went up the Major Deegan like the old Bx24 (not on the map).

11. On the back, it showed the X92, X25, and X90 traveling to different terminals in Downtown Manhattan and northbound (the X90 to Central Park North and the World Trade Center, the X92 to Yorkville and South Street Seaport, the X25 to Grand Central and Bowling Green).

But wow, the MTA system has really changed, especially in Staten Island and the Bronx. So many changes of routes and their numbers.

I wonder, though. Does anyone have a large scan of a Brooklyn bus map(s) pre-September 1995? I really like to analyze it and their routes then. Plus, I wanna design some more signs to honor those routes. :)

I wonder, though. Does anyone have a large scan of a Brooklyn bus map(s) pre-September 1995? I really like to analyze it and their routes then. Plus, I wanna design some more signs to honor those routes. :)

Hope this helps you out in any way. This post also goes out to 6 Express Train. Enjoy guys! :cool:

NYCTA_1980_Manhattan_Bus_.jpg

NYCTA_1990_Manhattan_Bus.jpg

MTA_1995_manhattan_bus.jpg

Wow, the '80 and '90 map design are somewhat similar, yet different in terms of how it was drawn.

On that same note, why was the Bx12 rerouted to Broadway Bridge in 1990?

I'm guessing there was work done on the University Heights Bridge back in 1990.

• 2 months later...
A request.... Can someone upload one from each decade in 1970's, 1980's and early 1990 and maybe add the new 1995/6 of Brooklyn Bus Map.

Just to go and look back at the Brooklyn Buses routes.

I like that idea!

My favorite era of NYCT/PBL/MSBA(LIB) was '89-'99. RTS and New Look Heaven! I also like those route maps better for some reason, even though I like the detail of the present ones much more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived